• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Shorter Truth

VajraChild

I've been throwing a Truth for over a year now. I really like it but it's just to long for me. It's too close to fairway distance and I need to disc back. I love flat discs with slightly shallower rims so the Truth feels great in my hand.

What's something similar that's a slower, shorter midrange?

Shorter Truth, but still a mid?

A Yao could be that but starts off slightly more OS. Kind of like a shorter EMac Truth.

Envy is what I would really suggest though. It's nearly a mid, but still putter shaped.

I've been throwing a Truth for over a year now. I really like it but it's just to long for me. It's too close to fairway distance and I need to disc back. I love flat discs with slightly shallower rims so the Truth feels great in my hand.

What's something similar that's a slower, shorter midrange?

My suggestion is to look for an older mold... original Roc, Shark, or Mako. The "Speed 4" discs on the Marshall Street Flight Guide. Most of the newer mids have been created for more speed, so an older mold might work better for you.

You might also try a Gold Line Compass. It might start off more overstable, but will season in more quickly than an Opto Compass, and might work into what you're looking for.

power down and add less hyzer?

Pure is a slower, mini truth and feels really dimilar if youre used to flipping Truths.

But if you just want a ranging mid that wont go as long on you in a similar ballpark of stability, the Compass is a good bet.

What World Eater said is exactly what I would suggest too. But the Compass is more HSS than the Truth if yours is turning easily (some can be pretty flippy I've found...surprisingly so), and also easier to range. The Pure is definitely similar flight wise and a slower disc.

Pure and Proxy are both good suggestions. Yes, they're putters, but they're pretty fast for putters. They pair well with fast mids like the Truth.

I don't know if the Suspect is available in a baseline blend, but one of those seasoned up would have a similar rim feel with less glide.

I'm not flipping the Truths, they're just going too long. I have a Suspect, which I love, for approaches. Sounds like a few of you agree that the Compass may be the right choice. I have one in Opto I've only tossed a few times. Doesn't feel as good in the hand as my Truth but if it performs, I can deal with it.

I've seen a Compass get thrown faaaar. They are long discs too.

I'd say Opto Pure or Envy.

I'm going to agree with the people saying go with a putt/approach disc for this. Any true mid that has a similar shape to the Truth is going to have the potential of going similarly far. I'd say the closest mid choice with a similar feel to me might be a Buzzz. There again though, Buzzzes can go quite far just like a Truth. I'd say you would have better luck with something like a Pure, Colt, Envy, Proxy, etc.

I agree that Compasses can get thrown far, but I feel in the limited throws I've had with them that they are easier to throw a bit shorter...whereas the Truth is going to go pretty far in its minimum range with any reasonable power. Since you have the Compass try it out a bit, but if you're wanting to use the Truth and have another disc that complements it at a range of distances much shorter, then the Pure is a good option to add to the Truth. You can't really go wrong though, these are all good discs.

I'll throw my vote in for Compass as well. I made the switch from Truths to Compasses because I was sick of the dump fade that Truths have when not powered up fully. The Compass powers down great, and I can throw it and know what it's going to do for much more of the power band than the Truth. It actually took a lot of shots from my Envy, to the point where I'm able to just go Harp and Compass as my mids/long approach for most rounds.

I threw two rounds today and quite honestly I didn't need much more than my Pure. The course was on the HomeGrown Tour so smaller in size. It held lines perfectly. If you want a shorter mid you want a putter or like someone earlier mentioned an old school mid that has different molding. If you play a lot of wooded courses I think the Pure is a good add regardless

Might consider the Innova Shark. Speed 4. I have a fairly beat-in Truth, and the Shark's fade is similar. I have a fresh Truth, and its fade is more like a Roc, but I don't think, from your description, that you'd like the bead on the Roc.

As others have said, you might want to disc down all the way to a speed-3 approach kind of disc.

I also don't want this to sound too flippant, but... seriously, just don't throw your disc as hard. I routinely use my Truth for under 100 foot approach shots. Part of the game is controlling your release energy.

^^^^^This is good advice. But as someone mentioned earlier, the Truth has more of a dump fade when not powered up. I find I can't control it as well at lower speeds.

I also don't want this to sound too flippant, but... seriously, just don't throw your disc as hard. I routinely use my Truth for under 100 foot approach shots. Part of the game is controlling your release energy.

I get that sentiment to an extent...but some mids like the Truth (or the class of glidey/fast/line drive mids) I feel like I can't trust below 250' and would never reach for them for under 275' actually. The glide just is too much at lower lengths that I can't range them, and as people have said the fade increases a bit...but that part of the equation is a bit easier to take into account.

Some threads people are splitting hairs between drivers that they want something to fit in perfectly between and it seems crazy to me, but in this case I 100% understand the OP having a problem with a Truth being too long for a lot of shots.

That being said touch approaches are all about confidence so if you can use a mid for a 100' approach consistently then that's great...I just know I can't do it consistently like I can with a putter.

If you're talking 250' and under, Id use a Pure for sure.

If you're talking 320' but you accidentally go 350 with the Truth because it srsly has no breaks on it, then a Compass is a good bet.

Another good bet, since you prefer the feel of the Truth, is a seasoned Verdict. They season to be pretty straight but they dont have the Truths unending glide.

If you're talking 250' and under, Id use a Pure for sure.

If you're talking 320' but you accidentally go 350 with the Truth because it srsly has no breaks on it, then a Compass is a good bet.

Another good bet, since you prefer the feel of the Truth, is a seasoned Verdict. They season to be pretty straight but they dont have the Truths unending glide.

Yep, Truths are looong. Fast with great glide.