• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I get a Firebird

Cooper2397

So I have been playing for several months. Initially my "go to" driver was a valkyrie thrown forehand. Over time, when I would throw the valk forehand, it would just flip over into a roller. It wouldn't catch itself and come back-- it would crash to left (RHFH).

I started throwing the Valk RHBH with some success but now it kinda does the same thing to the right unless I really hyzer it. I am having more success throwing a Teebird RHBH.

I have also picked up a Starfire and started throwing that RHFH and it working well except that it uses alot of space. When I throw it well, it goes about 10-15ft to the left and then fades back about 15-20ft to the right.

Here are my questions:

1.) since a Firebird is more stable than a Valk and a Starfire (but slower than the starfire) will it be tighter on the FH? and also not flip over on the BH?

2.) why do people use understable drivers? Is there some secret I am missing?

** Due to kids, etc-- I play by myself to play fast-- I don't get the opportunity to really watch other people throw (except youtube). So apologies if these questions are stupid ***

How far do you throw the StarFire FH? Understable disc's are going to give you more distance if you have good form. They are much more workable IMO for different types of lines.

1) Yes, a Firebird will handle FH shots better and shouldn't flip BH.

2) I have no FH, so I rely on understable discs to make hyzer flips, anhyzers, etc.

I throw the starfire anywhere from 300'- 330' and I feel it may be a little too much disc for me-- that is why I am thinking about getting a slower but more stable disc.

atvan-- i typically agree with you and did for about a mth with the valks.... however some of my arrows work and some don't-- and a faster arrow is working better than the slower... that is the question.

It ain't the arrow…

It can be but it will have a good deal of fade. I have a FB that I can Hyzerflip and throw anhyzers with but it is a beat in pro. Pro FB are very straight for me with consistant, reliable fade... I throw 5 different kinds of FB's for different things.

I throw the starfire anywhere from 300'- 330' and I feel it may be a little too much disc for me-- that is why I am thinking about getting a slower but more stable disc.

Yeah it is too much disc. Get a dx fb in 165-170 and one in 170-175... If you like them do the same in champ. Pro FB's are oop but they are sweet as well you can still get them for less that $20 on feebay or here in the MP. Champ Glow are super OS as are CE

Check out this thread for more info

All Things FIREBIRD

Thanks ERock... that is what I am going to do.... it seems like everybody has a Firebird so there must be something right about them

If a valk is flipping into a roller after only a short while throwing it backhand, there's something wrong. A faster disc will mask that problem and make it worse. You should be able to throw the most understable disc backhand in a hyzer and make it hold that hyzer line all the way to the end when you try. If you can't do that with a valk, sidewinder, or even roadrunner, then develop that skill to achieve clean form. Forehand is similar, but the amount of torque from forehand is a bit more. Still, sidewinders are known to be great forehand discs, and valks are even more stable than those. I suggest you try something more like a leopard and teebird. Use the leopard for backhand and the teebird for backhand in a headwind or forehand. If you groove your throw to that combo, you should be pretty well off. Firebirds are more useful for extreme headwind and overheads.

Yep get one...but also get something understable like a leopard and work with both to not create bad habits...also the firebird at your level will be more of a specialty disc for certain situations rather than a go to distance driver

My valks are DXs.... so that may mean more understable.

I can hyzer my valks but not hyzer flip them.... maybe it is the amount of angle. I can hyzer flip my beat Roc consistently. My "go to" driver is a teebird now. I can consistently throw it the longest and straightest backhand. I can throw it effectively forehand but not at full strength.

I think I will try to add a FB for forehand shots and practice throwing it BH.

I would recommend a Predator, in my opinion they are a better Firebird. Both discs are crazy overstable thus they will not flip at all (brand new).

So I have been playing for several months. Initially my "go to" driver was a valkyrie thrown forehand. Over time, when I would throw the valk forehand, it would just flip over into a roller. It wouldn't catch itself and come back-- it would crash to left (RHFH).

I started throwing the Valk RHBH with some success but now it kinda does the same thing to the right unless I really hyzer it. I am having more success throwing a Teebird RHBH.

I have also picked up a Starfire and started throwing that RHFH and it working well except that it uses alot of space. When I throw it well, it goes about 10-15ft to the left and then fades back about 15-20ft to the right.

Here are my questions:

1.) since a Firebird is more stable than a Valk and a Starfire (but slower than the starfire) will it be tighter on the FH? and also not flip over on the BH?

2.) why do people use understable drivers? Is there some secret I am missing?

** Due to kids, etc-- I play by myself to play fast-- I don't get the opportunity to really watch other people throw (except youtube). So apologies if these questions are stupid ***

#1 Get a Firebird for fh shots under 350 ft. They work great and will not flip with proper form. They hold a tight line! They also work great for OH shots.

# Understable drivers are great for AHYZER shots. Try a Westside King, awesome fh anhyzer bomber.

Everyone needs a FIREBIRD!!!! the most versatile disc in my bag.... rollers, tomahawks, backhand, and forehand.... i believe its the most consistent disc made(in the champ plastic) and will help anyones game.... now in your case just bc you aree flipping a valk over with your sidearm doesnt necessarily mean its time to make that drastic of a change.... bc theres a huge difference in a beat valk and a fb!! maybe get a good sidearm disc thart isnt as crazy stable bc if u get a firebird then you are gonna develop the habit of throwing everything with an annie bc that fb will come back so hard.... so tryout like a good wraith or beat destroyer or something like that.... hope this helps

A firebird is more of a utility disc used for extreme headwinds, short skip shots, overhands, FH rollers...etc. I wouldn't recommend trying to "learn" to throw it backhand. Yes, it is a good disc to have, but just not for really learning to drive with it. Keep throwing the Teebird and maybe try a Leopard or something else in that speed range that is a little understable to learn to drive BH better.

# Understable drivers are great for AHYZER shots. Try a Westside King, awesome fh anhyzer bomber.

Understable discs can be used for any throw. A slightly understable disc will go further in any direction than a stable or overstable disc. Learning to throw a hyzer with an understable disc will show you how far left discs can really go through the air (RHBH).

I throw primarily slightly understable discs unless the wind is coming from an unfavorable direction.

Like many have said you should be able to throw your Valk both BH & FH without flipping it over. I think you need to work your form more than anything else. Still get a FB because it is a great disc but it is not a good disc for learning form. Try throwing some mids and Putters FH and BH for distance. THis will help your form a lot.

I bet you have some wrist roll on your FH and that is what your main problem is with that shot. Try to keep your palm up on your follow threw. Read all the technique info you can and find what works for you.