• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

should i take a break?

keep playing until you can't play anymore. Get some surgery and jump right back on the course. Skip the therapy, disc golf is great therapy. And don't stretch. I'm 47yrs old and never do it, it wastes valuable playing time.

That's my philosophy. That's also why i've have two shoulder surgeries. But I really do believe what I wrote. After the 1st surgery I never went to therapy and won a tournament 16 days later, 4 days out of the sling. BUT, it took me a long time to get my strength back after the 2nd surgery. There's no cartilage left.

Don't be stupid.

:doh:

Do as I say not as I do...uh...do as I do not as I...uhh...oh hell just do whatever you want.

:D

I have the nickname Thumber for a reason and trust me, you need to be able to throw more than OH to play properly. My OH shots let me keep up with the local big guns I was playing with, until I blew up my rotator cuff. Used the healing time to learn an backhand and now I'm right back playing with the best in my region, except I can match their BH with my own, plus I have the thumber for shots that they don't have

learn to backhand

ah yes, the man i've been waiting for to chime in. that's basically the reason i throw the thumber so much too, it helps me to keep par and to keep up with my friends who have been playing for years and can launch their drives. i'll admit, i've been using the thumber as a bit of a distance crutch for awhile now, only because my backhand is inconsistent. the last obstacle i'm trying to overcome on my way to relying on my backhand off the teepad is only one goddamn thing, it feels like:

release point. the thumber feels so natural because of all the baseballs and footballs i've thrown, so i've already got a preset release time in my head drilled into my brain from years of practices and games. when i'm releasing backhand, i try not to even think about what point i should release because when i do, i always end up way too early or way too late when i over-meditate letting the disc go

i'll spend the next few weeks breaking my dependency on the overhand shot, but it wont be easy. i've got a day or two of rain to give my body a bit of a rest, and the leg is feeling great today.

thanks for the suggestions, advice, and shared experiences, everyone.

seems like i just need to work on sharpening my fundamental game. thanks everyone.

what i did to work on my release point was stand about 20 yards or so from a soccer goal with no net and work on throwing through it. once i was able to keep it through there consistenly and get the distance i wanted (~300), i was able to touch up my release point and converted to BH nicely. then i gained distance i'm still working on my goal off 400+ but i'm getting there. i'm at a consistent 350 with a teebird. only been playing about 3 months

hope that helps

thats a pretty good idea, there is a soccer field at an elementary school about 3 blocks from here with a pair of soccer goals i will try this out on. thanks JFK, i'm sorry that the CIA killed you in texas and framed lee harvey oswald.

chingy414: yes sir. i'm listening to the new madlib tape high jazz right now. its alright but i liked blunted in the bomb shelter and chalice all stars way more. still pumping those in the car before a round

I'm confused. You say you have pain that originated from a repetitive motion and you want us to tell you if you should stop doing that motion yet you were able to turn on and operate a computer and successfully navigate to this site?

Huh.

It's not so much about about stretching as it is about warming up the muscles properly. Doing some light throwing before you start a round more or less accomplishes the same effect as stretching does. That being said, I highly recommend stretching, even the legs if you straddle putt as much as I do.

Well if you have been playing 4 months straight, don't complain about not having a backhand because I believe you could of learned it in that amount of time instead of always throwing a tomahawk. It is a nice shot to have though but you should learn to throw BH or FH as a main throw.

Put all that time you are spending into developing your other shots. Side arm, back hand, roller and whatever else. If you spent half that amount of time on other throws you would be able to get over 300' side arm and backhand.

4 months of developing your shots, or occasional practice, and you'll be more rounded and way better than just a guy with a great hammer . . .

what i did to work on my release point was stand about 20 yards or so from a soccer goal with no net and work on throwing through it. once i was able to keep it through there consistenly and get the distance i wanted (~300), i was able to touch up my release point and converted to BH nicely. then i gained distance i'm still working on my goal off 400+ but i'm getting there. i'm at a consistent 350 with a teebird. only been playing about 3 months

hope that helps

Exactly!!!!!

played a round today while only throwing about 5 or 6 overhand shots, and my round really didn't suffer that much. when i slow down my mechanics and focus, i can stretch my backhand out over 275 (if i can keep it low and get my release timed right). i realized its also a manner of having the confidence in myself to hit the tough lines out in the woods, which i did today. for instance, on hole 13 (307ft) where i always lay up with a overhand shot to about 150 and rely on a solid approach, instead i threw my D surge 150 and landed it about 35 feet from the basket after gliding gracefully through the clearing thanks to a slow, controlled, but solid snap and throw.

the leg/hip feels fine after this round, i think the pain also had to do with how i walk. i was sort of paying attention to the way i was walking around, and i realized i use my left leg to power up hills more than my right and often put more weight on it. i figure with the over-abundance of forehands in my game, plus navigating a hilly course every day favoring the left leg, probably led to the soreness.

time to tighten up my game and throw with confidence! thanks, internet folk

Last edited:
It's not so much about about stretching as it is about warming up the muscles properly.

Exactly. I play basketball with guys 1/3 to 1/2 my age and I DON'T STRETCH and I haven't had an injury in years (other than jammed fingers). I see these guys walk in and start stretching right away, before they've got any blood flowing to the muscles. Bad move. I start shooting baskets, very slowly, almost like a walk through. As I get a little warmed up, I increase my effort, and therefore, my blood flow. By the time we're ready to play, my muscles are good and loose and I can start running. Stretching BEFORE warming up is asking for trouble. In DG terms, I agree with just throwing lightly first and then increasing effort until you're warm.

i haven't taken any time off, just changed my game and used the thumber much less. i've felt fine after every round since then (played 2 a day the last 3 days)

Latest posts