• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder injury

I deal with rotator cuff issues, my shoulder lets me know when I need to take it easy. Currently, it is still aggravated from a road bike fall, it is quite painful to throw backhand, but it does not hurt to throw forehand unless I really lay into it. I know I shouldn't be throwing at all, but I feel I have all winter to recuperate, as my current pain is mostly due to a bone contusion from the wipeout. The reality is if you don't let yourself heal, you won't heal.

I injured my shoulder the second to last tournament of the year last year....Lost any power in my throws after the first few throws of a round. Doctor had me do daily stretches and lots of rest from disc golf, luckily it was winter time and much easier to step away. Took about 6 months to get my strength back in my shoulder but need to make sure I stretch before every round and about half ways through a round to keep it loose.

Only reason I'm going to my chiropractor today is because i had a appointment with him today anyway, i have a back issue to but it doesn't effect my disc golf game, just thought since I'm going to be there anyway i would let him look at it. Maybe I'm just getting old lol turn 40 in November

... so what did you find out?? ... do you have a medical diagnosis yet?

Stretches

I injured my shoulder the second to last tournament of the year last year....Lost any power in my throws after the first few throws of a round. Doctor had me do daily stretches and lots of rest from disc golf, luckily it was winter time and much easier to step away. Took about 6 months to get my strength back in my shoulder but need to make sure I stretch before every round and about half ways through a round to keep it loose.

What stretches do you do??

I've been starting a program modeled after Mackie Shilstone...who worked with Peyton Manning and Serena Williams to lengthen their career. Essentially its a short 5-10 minute workout after my rounds of golf...where the exercises/workout is targeting the opposite motions/muscles of the throwing motions. Example...I don't throw much FH, so my workout is based on more pushing my fists together at differing heights and sides of body. Again, just started this but I get arthritis in my shoulder in non-playing months (cold/snow) so i've been actively looking for smart/proactive ways to combat the arthritis.

What stretches do you do??

on the course taking the hurt should with a towel in that hand and put it behind your head and with your other hand pull down on the towel.

another would be to put my arm across my chest and pull/stretch for about 30 seconds

another, I putt both arms on a tree and push against the tree focusing the area around the shoulder

Prior to a round get a resistance band and wrap it around a tree/tie it to something and pull like you would be going through a typical throw

Off the course

in an arm chair, pushing yourself straight up out of the chair over and again

standing in a door frame and pushing outward in 30 second intervals

pushups

if you have access to a rowing machine

light dumbbells exercises focusing on multiple reps not heavy weights with minimal reps

hope this helps

Last edited:
Often, rotator cuff damage is revealed by pain lifting arm above shoulder level. And, depending on the severity, it can be healed by rest and therapy. Or worsened by overhand throws.

For what that's worth.

And it isn't a quick healing. I'm just coming off of a slight tear in June. After three months of rehab, throwing a disc with any power is still not possible. And according to my rehab docs ANY pain is something to avoid. In the case of a rotator cuff pain = damage.

Latest posts