• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm: yay or nay?

How much sidearm do you use in your game?

• None... you don't need it.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Occasional sidearm shots, but wish I was better at it.

Votes: 122 37.0%
  • Frequent sidearm shots, not afraid to use it with confidence.

Votes: 145 43.9%
  • I use more sidearm shots than backhand.

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • I do pretty much everything sidearm besides putting.

Votes: 22 6.7%

• Total voters
Yah, I've heard Kensington is a good course with nearly all dogleg rights... haven't made it up that way yet. I play mostly Firefighters.

You play in Mon night Leagues at FF?

I use fh for get out of trouble shots fairly often when there's limited space or an awkward stance and have pretty good success with it. If I throw very many of them I get elbow pain (yeah, I know, I'm doing it wrong), so I don't spend much time working on them. I can't get more than about 260' with a fh, so I rarely drive with it unless it's a shorter hole where the fh line is a lot better.

you might not be doing it wrong. just not enough. your elbow probably isn't used to having that torque on it.

I'm sure that's part of it, I'm also not always good about keeping my elbow close in to my hip which puts extra torque on it too.

i remember hearing somewhere a long time ago that the forehand was, physiologically, a stronger throw. ofcourse watching wonderkids like hovey crank 600+ ani monster pulls over the tree lines makes me think differently, but if you look at the action of throwing from a standing position, the forehand can deliver a farther more accurate flight with less arm movement than a backhand motion. It also uses the inside muscles of the arm (biceps) rather than the outside of the arm (triceps).

when you are stuck deep in the shule - you're more likely to use a forehand motion (includes overheads and rollers) to get out - not just because there's no room to throw a backhand but because you can control a pin point out shot easily

bottom line is you might get by playing competitively without a forehand but it sure comes in handy
and will bring you an advantage

Last edited:
You play in Mon night Leagues at FF?
No, I can't miss Mon night football to spend 3hrs to play what's a 1hr course.

I usually play early am on the weekends... and sometimes in the tourneys there.

unless you can throw RH and LH backhanded, i see no reason for not learning a FH shot
I've been giving this serious thought. I have the RHBH mechanics/approach/line/angles down pretty well.

I'm thinking it might honesly be easier to try LHBH instead of RH sidearm. The RHBH hyzer shots do seem to cut it for me to stay competitive in the games and groups I play, though. I am just having a hard time with the idea of taking practice reps away from RHBH in order to try something (RHFH or LHBH) which is of questionable "need" all along.

unless you can throw RH and LH backhanded, i see no reason for not learning a FH shot

^^^^ amen to that^^^^

i started FH. took a good year to get my sorry 40 y/o butt to be able to twist for a BH, not to mention my 2 left feet trying to coordinate the x-step.

i feel FH is still my most powerful throw.

I find a nice FH shot helps me out at least once every single round.

I started out nice and easy 150' shots about 3 months ago on a driving range and now can put them at about 250. Not too shabby considering that's about 25-50 shorter than my BH.

I'd say about 90% of my drives are side arm (depending on the hole/wind). Approach/putting is backhand though. I've only been playing a few months and my sidearm drive is a lot father than backhand, probably about 100 feet more.

I use side arm when I have to, but I would rather anhyzer backhand if at all possible. Im not real confident with my sidearm I cant seem to get a good tight snap on it.

...you just might have an odd lie next to a tree, bushe, whatever, where backhand doesn't provide adequete backswing or follow through, or perhaps even a good look at the pin - while FH does.

This.

I don't use FH much, but there are times when it is a necessity to use it. I throw BH probably 85% of the time or more, but when I do throw FH, I am extremely confident with it and won't give it a second thought. I have no problem grabbing a putter, driver, or any other disc and throwing it FH.

I've been giving this serious thought. I have the RHBH mechanics/approach/line/angles down pretty well.

I'm thinking it might honesly be easier to try LHBH instead of RH sidearm. The RHBH hyzer shots do seem to cut it for me to stay competitive in the games and groups I play, though. I am just having a hard time with the idea of taking practice reps away from RHBH in order to try something (RHFH or LHBH) which is of questionable "need" all along.

I hurt my right elbow (rhbh) and have been playing lhbh. the learning curve is huge and its been 6 month. I would love to be able to throw rhbh

I hurt my right elbow (rhbh) and have been playing lhbh. the learning curve is huge and its been 6 month. I would love to be able to throw rhbh

I played lhbh for while after hurting my right shoulder, and it really wasn't that bad. Within the first 3-4 days I was driving just shy of my rhbh shots, and I STILL like putting left handed. They just seem to go in.