• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm: yay or nay?

How much sidearm do you use in your game?

• None... you don't need it.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Occasional sidearm shots, but wish I was better at it.

Votes: 122 37.0%
  • Frequent sidearm shots, not afraid to use it with confidence.

Votes: 145 43.9%
  • I use more sidearm shots than backhand.

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • I do pretty much everything sidearm besides putting.

Votes: 22 6.7%

• Total voters
I think FH is great for skipping and sliding your disc under trees. It is also nice in the woods when you have to hit that little hole in the trees. I think that anyone who has played baseball will feel more comfortable with a FH throw. I throw mostly FH but am working on my BH because they are both affective for different things.

I voted occasionally, wished I were better.
I mainly use sidearm/forehand shots to GOOT.

I would say YES if I were good at it....or if thats what I started out doing. But I don't think I really ever NEED to do it..unless maybe trying to get out of a weird situation with my body contorted in some fashion heh.

I worked on my fh for the first time threw about 1 hour I found out that my wraith was the best in my bag it turned over then turned to the right which I love, The second best fh disc is my stingray it almost went as far as my wraith, now I need to get used to producing more power as I threw the mentioned discs approx 200'. Need more arm speed or very quick turning wrists I don't know yet????

I backhand more frequently, but get just as good distance with forehand with much less effort (no run up, pretty much all wrist) and am actually a lot more accurate (any tight starting tunnel shot, I'm throwing FH). I just can't do it for small distances, anything under 250 and I need to backhand it (probably because I don't need it and haven't found that mid for it that I like).

I chose the second option there. I don't use it that much as I have learned to do a lot of sidearm type shots with my backhand throws. If the lie is tough, like right by a tree or a very low ceiling shot, then I will do it. For drives I pretty much suck at it, but for midrange shots, I have done very well with it. I have been playing over 3 years and have developed my backhand enough to where I don't think I am all that interested in learning a sidearm drive. Now as far as midrange shots go, I am learning the advantages of having this type of throw in my bag.

ditto

what about when you need to go left, then right. like a dog leg right with a massive obstacle in the way?

that's when you bust out the Monster and FH Flex that baby around the tree or what-have-you.

I'll 2nd this its about the only forehand shot I have. Gotta love the Flex (Boss it).

I use it often for approach shots, not realy for 300+ drives though. If i try to rip it over 300, it hurts my shoulder.

Yes i know, i must be doing it wrong. But i only play a year and i am still mostly working on my BH.

I love having the option of both FH and BH drives. Why try and make the "perfect/miracle" long anhyzer shot when you can just FH it? i.e. A tunnel shot that has to finish right. I mean if you're really sick with your turnovers then I can't fault you (... I realize 90% of the top pros don't throw FH), but for me it's just way easier to throw a more natural fading hyzer shot.

I do, however, believe it takes away from my BH consistency when I'm throwing 25-50% FH drives (depending on the course). Just constantly trying to improve both shots...

I'm not about to read this entire thread (sorry, too lazy), so forgive me if I'm just saying something already mentioned...

There are advantages of being either a "backhand savant" or a player with "all the shots" (bh, fh, oh, etc.).

But the key - presently - is the following:

Because most courses are designed by RHBH throwers, the "shots needed to succeed" are those that said RHBH thrower can produce...with a BH.

I state the word "presently" because, as more courses are designed by non-dominant RHBH throwers, you'll see more "multi-weaponed players" doing proportionately better.

Karl

Definitely YAY for driving. I get my best distance throwing sidearm. but i use my backhand for putting and approaching

Best FH disc is your best BH disc if you really are mastering the control of a FH shot. Outside of that, it depends on how good (not long) your FH is.

Was working yesterday and got my Ridge out to 175'. I find that a big accomplishment considering I couldnt FH even my mids a few weeks ago. Thank you hammer technique!

Yeah, and palm up someone mentioned before has been a big help as well.

pearly orcs, hands down.

Glad I saw this thread. I've been trying to learn the forehand. So far I just use it to get out of trouble. I also have a really old pearly orc that I've never really thrown. I'll have to toss it in my bag and give it a try. I like the elbow in tip as well.