• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm: yay or nay?

How much sidearm do you use in your game?

• None... you don't need it.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Occasional sidearm shots, but wish I was better at it.

Votes: 122 37.0%
  • Frequent sidearm shots, not afraid to use it with confidence.

Votes: 145 43.9%
  • I use more sidearm shots than backhand.

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • I do pretty much everything sidearm besides putting.

Votes: 22 6.7%

• Total voters
Bad poll... why does my confidence have to result in increasing frequency of throws?

I've seen folks with bad flicks that throw it all the time.

I've got a solid flick (19 years of playing ultimate) but on anything over about 150 feet, my first look is to a backhand... of course on the ultimate field, my first look is a flick...

I used to be forehand only player but decided it would greatly benefit my game to pick up backhand. I was right and wrong. I am a consistently worse player now that I throw on each side equally. I have much greater potential to score low on a course, but I've lost consistency on both sides by throwing half as much off the tee from each side. I used to regularly score -2 at my local course as a forehand only player. Now I'm somewhere between +1 and -6 depending on if it's a good day or not. It would definately be worth the effort if I played twice as often as I used to, but as is I think I'm more frustrated by the game than ever before due to a loss of consistency.

I added a forehand throw to my game this season and I'm _very_ happy I did. I played for years and years using a forehand only for getting out of bad trouble. And I did pretty well like that. But having a forehand throw I can count on has made a large difference for me. I say learning a FH is defnitely worth the trouble.

It was surprisingly easy to develop. What I did was play a casual solo round a time or two each week at a local pitch and putt course where all my throws longer than 50' were forehands. Even if there wasn't really a forehand line, I was trying something FH. Pay attention and you can learn a FH faster than you might have thought possible. There's still work to be done refining my forehand throws, but I'm confident enough to use a FH line when it seems to be the shot to use.

I'm still throwing backhand almost all the time, but having a forehand throw I'm ready to pull out has saved me strokes and opened up new ways to attack some holes.

But don't bother learning one... I need all the advantages I can get.

I've been working hard on getting a backhand, but my forehand is still better at this point. I started out primarily driving forehand, but then I got extremely frustrated when I started turning everything over and decided to try a backhand. I just couldn't break my natural preference for the forehand shot though, and slowly worked them back in. After a few tweeks and some really good advice from a few DGCR'ers (honorable mention to garubaldor and Agent Peabody), I figured out how to throw a consistent hyzer shot with a forehand. For those who throw forehand, you know that this isn't as automatic a shot as a hyzer backhand and takes the right technique. Well technique and the acceptance that forehand does require more stable discs in most instances, lol. But to my thinking, having a dependable right fading shot is just very useful!

the more shots you have the better... learn em all.

truth.

If nothing else learn a FH for get out of trouble shots. Also learning FH starts you on the way to learning tomahawks, same grip just overhead and different angle.

The way I see it, a well-developed FH is more consistent than an anhyzer/turnover shot in the long run. With turnover/anny shots, you have three outcomes and two are bad:

1. Disc does not turn enough/have enough anny, and finishes opposite direction that you wanted it to - BAD
2. Shot is thrown correctly and it lands where you want - GOOD
3. Too much turnover/anny and it goes early or turns into cut roller - BAD

In the woods, you need the turnover/anny shots to shape lines and hit those tiny little fairways. But on more open courses with more D, FH is the way to go IMO. It does better in the wind because you are generally throwing more stable plastic. How often have you seen an attempted turnover shot get raped in the wind and blown way off course? A turnover is more susceptible to playing conditions and user error. With forehand, you angle the disc, pick a spot, and let it rip. The disc wants to fade in that direction. Sometimes it's better to let the disc do the work and shape the shot.

Also FH does not require the longer reachback and runup that a backhand of equal distance does. You can keep your eye on the target the whole time and still generate a good deal of power.

And finally, FH rollers are friggin' sweet.

I'll second that. Everyone needs to learn a FH roller approach shot IMO, they're perfect for certain situations.

I went my first year playing exclusively BH, but this summer taught myself FH. Like others said it's not difficult to learn as long as you have someone point out the basics to you. Having someone show me how to properly grip a FH shot, and telling me to keep my palm facing up, were the keys to me not turning over any FH shot past 50'. I can now drive out to 320' FH with confidence. I should work on FH distance driving though, I've never really tried full power FH drives since learning.

What's funny is I can FH discs that some FH dominant players I know won't FH for fear of turning them over. Like I've seen those guys FH a Drone but they consider the Buzz too flippy to FH drive with, while I can put mine on a 230-250' line without it turning.

I figure the more options you have for any given shot, the better. It used to be, say I had a low ceiling approach shot, I'd just BH something low with lots of power to keep it going. Now, I can BH it, I can FH it, I can FH roller or BH roller, or I can throw a good thumber or Tomohawk, or I can throw a FH shot with the disc upside down and my thumb in the rim and make the disc to a bounce slide off the ground. I don't always use those different shots each round I play but knowing I can use them gives me more options, which is very handy at times.

truth.

If nothing else learn a FH for get out of trouble shots. Also learning FH starts you on the way to learning tomahawks, same grip just overhead and different angle.

The way I see it, a well-developed FH is more consistent than an anhyzer/turnover shot in the long run. With turnover/anny shots, you have three outcomes and two are bad:

1. Disc does not turn enough/have enough anny, and finishes opposite direction that you wanted it to - BAD
2. Shot is thrown correctly and it lands where you want - GOOD
3. Too much turnover/anny and it goes early or turns into cut roller - BAD

In the woods, you need the turnover/anny shots to shape lines and hit those tiny little fairways. But on more open courses with more D, FH is the way to go IMO. It does better in the wind because you are generally throwing more stable plastic. How often have you seen an attempted turnover shot get raped in the wind and blown way off course? A turnover is more susceptible to playing conditions and user error. With forehand, you angle the disc, pick a spot, and let it rip. The disc wants to fade in that direction. Sometimes it's better to let the disc do the work and shape the shot.

Also FH does not require the longer reachback and runup that a backhand of equal distance does. You can keep your eye on the target the whole time and still generate a good deal of power.

Dude, so much truth here! Forehand shots WANT to go right, but u have to CONVINCE a backhand anny that it wants to go right and how much to the right, lol.

I'm actually currently working on the forehand roller, any tips?? Like how much do u want it to fly before rolling?

Dude, so much truth here! Forehand shots WANT to go right, but u have to CONVINCE a backhand anny that it wants to go right and how much to the right, lol.

I'm actually currently working on the forehand roller, any tips?? Like how much do u want it to fly before rolling?

i'm no good at rollers, so ignore me. but...when i have to, i grab a leopard, snap that sucker as hard as i can, i'll go out about 100-150 feet then just cruise

i'm no good at rollers, so ignore me. but...when i have to, i grab a leopard, snap that sucker as hard as i can, i'll go out about 100-150 feet then just cruise

I've got a couple of dx Valks that I found on the course, so I think I'll make one of em my roller disc. And with practicing this shot, it should be nicely beat in in no time!

Like many noobs, started out forehand, went to backhand and after a year or more realized I no longer had a decent forehand (actually never did), so took the effort to go back and practice it. I probably throw forehand off the teebox 2-5 times a round on most courses. If you play heavily treed courses you will see there are lines you cannot throw anhyzer and many other lines are far easier forehand than anhyzer, especially if you want a decent skip on the end. Most of my forehands are only about 250, but if I have a lot of space and put plenty of anny on it I've gotten it out over 300 before. Since my backhands are only 275-375, 250 isn't too bad, and certainly makes some holes birdie-able that weren't before.

Play forest courses if you want to see the value of additional shots like forehand, thumbers, tomahawks, rollers etc.

I can seem to get WAY more accuracy with my BH than when trying to execute a stable sidearm throw. I typically only use sidearm when I am trying to get out of crap or if the pin is located on a dog-leg right and there is no possible way (at my abilities) to throw a BH. Also, I never side-arm a midrange for some reason. It just doesnt work for me.

If it absolutely, positively has to cross that lake... I throw forehand.

If it's a long right hand dogleg... I throw forehand.

If it's short, but I need to go over something (like a tree) to the right... I throw forehand.

Sometimes when I'm in the woods... I throw forehand.

Otherwise, my backhand game is the consistent throw FTW.