• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SirGawain's bag. Need some gaps filled.

SirGawain

Par Member
Trying to retool my bag and fill the gaps and what. Nothing is set in stone and can be traded out for something else.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 6 Years, Getting serious about my game for 3 months

Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Challenger: 180/220'; Spider/Roc: 200/260'; Destroyer: 260/330' (When I can put the strain on my knee)

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Right Knee, Football Injury
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, Football
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I feel like there are gaps and I could add some stuff to up my game

Bag:

Distance Drivers:
170 Star Destroyer- Max D BH disc. Only used on open holes
172 Pro Destroyer- Beat in, FH distance disc
172 Star Excalibur - Utility, Could Eliminate
??? ESP Crush - Utility, Could Eliminate

Fairway Drivers :
168 Star SL - Go To Driver, Mostly FH with Some BH. Comfortable and Accurate for me
175 Champ Firebird - Stable backhand Driver, Still learning it.
168 Star Leopard - Fresh, US Fairway

Mids:
170 KC Pro Roc - Beat to hell, goes straight.
175 Champion Spider - Beat in, used for straight to anny shots
175 DX Cro - Stable to OS mid

Putters:
170-072 FLX Challenger (Getting beat in)
??? Soft Magnet (Beat to death)
I use both for putting and driving. Depends on my mood and which one is getting in the chains better.

I purged my bag about a month ago of discs that I felt were too fast. I have been thinking of working in a Teebird and some possible SL replacements. Also thinking of adding in a couple more putters strictly for driving duties, maybe a Pro D Challenger or an Anode and Ion.

At these distances I would drop all the high speed drivers and go to slower 'control' drivers. I would recommend a Volt or an Inertia.

I have thought about doing that. I have already eliminated some that I knew I didn't have the arm speed for. I will probably keep the Star destroyer because I can get it to shape some lines using FH and eliminate the Crush, Xcaliber, and the Pro Destroyer.

I would second the motion to disc down a bit. I think everyone should try at eebird atleast once in their life time.
I would recommend a Discmania's CD or CD2 those are straight controllable drivers. The PD is a great disc too if you want something a little slower that is overstable.

Distance Drivers:
170 Star Destroyer- Max D BH disc. Only used on open holes
172 Pro Destroyer- Beat in, FH distance disc
172 Star Excalibur - Utility, Could Eliminate
??? ESP Crush - Utility, Could Eliminate

Fairway Drivers :
168 Star SL - Go To Driver, Mostly FH with Some BH. Comfortable and Accurate for me - Have you tried any other drivers? Just curious because I don't hear about many people throwing an SL
175 Champ Firebird - Stable backhand Driver, Still learning it.
168 Star Leopard - Fresh, US Fairway
Star Teebird - Could use this as a go-to

Mids:
170 KC Pro Roc - Beat to hell, goes straight.
KC Pro Roc - Could replace the spider with a roc
JL Roc3 - Could replace the cro with a fresh roc3 for stable to OS duties
175 Champion Spider - Beat in, used for straight to anny shots
175 DX Cro - Stable to OS mid

Putters:
170-072 FLX Challenger (Getting beat in)
??? Soft Magnet (Beat to death)
I use both for putting and driving. Depends on my mood and which one is getting in the chains better.

If you are feeling pain in your knee I'd take that as an opportunity to learn really clean form and try to avoid potentially getting injured.

In general when people are throwing faster discs they use worse form and try and throw it harder because it's "supposed to go far"

Another vote to get rid of te high speed drivers and grab a lightish teebird. Like 165-169.

If you are feeling pain in your knee I'd take that as an opportunity to learn really clean form and try to avoid potentially getting injured.

In general when people are throwing faster discs they use worse form and try and throw it harder because it's "supposed to go far"

I have thrown an SL for a very long time, but I am trying to find a replacement since they have been discontinued. Thinking about trying out a Saint or a Volt. Definitely wanna put a Teebird in the bag. The pain isn't always there. It comes and goes when it pleases so it makes my game kinda adaptive to when it is there.

I have thrown an SL for a very long time, but I am trying to find a replacement since they have been discontinued. Thinking about trying out a Saint or a Volt. Definitely wanna put a Teebird in the bag. The pain isn't always there. It comes and goes when it pleases so it makes my game kinda adaptive to when it is there.

My point was more that there is always time to work on your short game and a smoother less intense motion would probably be less likely to cause pain or in any way aggravate your injury. This gives you time to fully recover from the injury.

Volt will probably be much more SL like than the Saint.

My point was more that there is always time to work on your short game and a smoother less intense motion would probably be less likely to cause pain or in any way aggravate your injury. This gives you time to fully recover from the injury.

Volt will probably be much more SL like than the Saint.

I gotcha. I have kinda been rebuilding my form for the past few months and youre right. Better form is less intense on my knees. :thmbup:

I'd recommend a PD or Thunderbird paired with a Hatchet or Mongoose for over/under control drivers, and a Teebird or Rival paired with a Patriot or Leopard for fairways. All safe choices.

Someone said this is the "golden age of mids" and the choices are many and nearly as personal preference driven as putters. You might want to find a more understable mid for your bag, there are many to choose from. I use a Tursas, but a beat Roc may work (or a Flying Squirrel, Stingray, M5, ... etc.).

I'd recommend a PD or Thunderbird paired with a Hatchet or Mongoose for over/under control drivers, and a Teebird or Rival paired with a Patriot or Leopard for fairways. All safe choices.

Someone said this is the "golden age of mids" and the choices are many and nearly as personal preference driven as putters. You might want to find a more understable mid for your bag, there are many to choose from. I use a Tursas, but a beat Roc may work (or a Flying Squirrel, Stingray, M5, ... etc.).

Tursas off the shelf is great. :hfive:

My mid setup is a Tursas/Comet/Roc/Roc

Viking would be a terrific SL replacement.

An extremely overstable putter (Zone, VP) or mid (Gator, Drone) is always a nice tool for short flex lines or get out of trouble situations.

my pink pro starfire (SL mold) would be a perfect replacement for the SL :p

Latest posts