• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skillshot repair ideas

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I have an Innova SkillShot aka the worst practice basket ever hastily assembled by blind monkeys. The wire that holds the upper arms up has broken repeatedly, turning the basket into a chitty looking Gateway Bullseye. After the 3rd time, I found the thickest wire that would fit and it broke again after < 2 months.

At this point, I'm basket shopping but in the meantime, does anybody have any ideas that might actually fix my problem? I might try some stranded wire next; it might be able to be welded open permanently but I doubt it. I've got some fabric ripped in the usual spots too if anyone has a solution for that I'd appreciate it.

Regarding the fabric, I found this thread... http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102575&highlight=skillshot+fabric . However, I think that there was one a while back that had more info. I just couldn't find it in two minutes.

As far as the arms go, could you just get some sort of straight rods that would hold the "umbrella" open tight? Some sort of flexible dowel or rod that could bend into place with a friction fit. Hopefully that makes sense.

My two have held up just fine, except for the fabric. Hope you find something that works and I'll be interested to read about it.

Last edited:
the skillshots suck. i made that thread thats funny. DD contacted innova and they shipped me new skins.

im not sure about your situation, just affirming that skillshots are indeed the worst practice basket in my opinion

i used to work at a big box hardware store. if you get the right people to talk to in there. bring in pics of it and describe it to them, and they can get pretty crafty. they might have some good ideas

Okay, my wire just popped out b/c it's so thick that it can't really be crammed into the final nook right. I just manhandled it back into place. I decided to send Innova a terse email about their product, so let's see how good their customer service is. If I can get some new skins out of it, I'll be happy.

i had to send 50 emails to them about when they marked a disc wrong and sent me some speed 12 overstable piece of junk, when it was supposed to be an understable speed 9 disc.

talked to like 4 people and it took almost two weeks to resolve. finally they just sent me another of what i was supposed to get.

but on the skins, DD contacted them and had the skins to me in a week. so idk how that works haha

I used their factory store email and got some prompt service. They're gonna mail me out some new skins. Good job Innova, you might be alright after all.

I am just curious here, do you guys keep your skillshot outside at all times? I have one and have taken thousands of putts at it, and it is still in good shape.

I try and keep mine out of the rain, so it comes inside at least 50% of the time. I've got some specks of rust but nothing too bad. The fabric faded and wore out ridiculously quick and this wire breaking thing has been maddeningly annoying and frequent. The original wire on the bottom is holding on strong but the top one is like a guillotine or something.

When I got new skins, I plasti-dipped the old skins so that it's more protected when I leave it outside, and it's working quite well over a year later. New skins only go on if I'm going to take the basket with me.

BD - Let me know when you'll be in Charlotte and I'll give you a practically new one (used about 3 times) for a few pieces of plastic.

When I got new skins, I plasti-dipped the old skins so that it's more protected when I leave it outside, and it's working quite well over a year later. New skins only go on if I'm going to take the basket with me.
That's not a bad idea at all. I noticed on these new skins they reinforced the corners on the skirt so hopefully they're more durable. It's such a pain in the A** swapping the skins though.

BD - Let me know when you'll be in Charlotte and I'll give you a practically new one (used about 3 times) for a few pieces of plastic.

That's a good offer, I wish I had a reason to travel to Charlotte. I might be in that area for Thanksgiving, I'll give you a head's up if I can remember.

Skillshot-a,work in progress

Just broke the lower retainin wire on mine after four years of daily use. Finally gave up on replacing the skins and resewed them. They are single-stitched. Most cheapo tents are at least double...
Still, for the use I've given it and the pricepoint, I have been happy with my Skillshot.
By the way, adding some paracord and a slip tightener from an old jacket, I have the worlds most portable precision basket. Tightens and loosens in about two seconds.

Latest posts