• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Skip disc compareable to Firebird!

I use a FLICK for this, but it is a fast driver disc, but its SOOOO overstable that it cuts early anyway, super skippy. That's what I use.

This man speaks the truth!! The Flick is the best skip disc I've used, and I often power it down for shots that need to go 40-50 ft. and then skip and cut 90 degrees to the side!! Not to mention all of the other amazing things that you can do with this disc.... I love Firebirds, but I still feel like the Flick is the best utility disc on the market. The Flick and the Zone are the only 2 Discraft discs that have stayed in my bag.

^^^ This man is a genius.

For real tho, the FLICK is a sweet skippy disc. Its super flat and has pointy rim, which may not be the MOST comfy in the hand, it take a skip hard. I often play this disc for a skip and it delivers. I threw out of the rough towards a hill then I needed to move left by a lot, I couldn't throw any other way, since trees were in front of me there was no thumber or tomahawk. I power hyzer'ed this right at the dry short grass on the lil hill. It hit there and popped up in the air and moved a good 15-20 feet directly to the left. I then had a open view shot on the basket.

FLICK is the shist for skip shots.

I also use the Flick for those shots. The great thing, for me, is the overstability of the light weight Flicks. When I power down max weight stuff, I tend to have more slips. 150g, I can throw at very low power and hold on to it.

MVP Motion would be my first suggestion. Resistor my second. Resistor is my go to utility disc, that thing can pull off some crazy lines. Unless you are a MVP hater these two are worth trying out.

If you're looking for a mid-range, I like the Shark. The newer Shark3 mold in JL plastic is damn skippy! I love this mold for overhand shots and grenades as well. Thrown at the right angle, these discs can slide on the label to get under tree limbs.

To compliment that disc, I also bag a G* Shark for those shots that need to stick where placement is key. Hillsides and precarious basket placements are no match for the Shark!

Zone always has that little baby hop. I need something that's going to have the huge flare up that the FB does. Maybe that type of skip is exclusive to drivers?

def exclusive to drivers. You are looking for something like a flick or a XXX

The Whippet X skips well. With a bit of hyzer, you can skip it on a 90 degree turn.

Personally use a Z Crush for BH skip shots. The Flick is a great answer, just too dang OS for me, it sometimes needs room to work and I am usually pretty short of room, if I am going to a skip shot. I would think a powered down FB would be the answer from me.

Personally use a Z Crush for BH skip shots. The Flick is a great answer, just too dang OS for me, it sometimes needs room to work and I am usually pretty short of room, if I am going to a skip shot. I would think a powered down FB would be the answer from me.

I too love the Crush, it was my main OS driver for a long time. I use a pulse now actually to avoid the skip, that's when I picked up a Flick for the for sure skips

do you mean those semi sideways skips that give you 10-50ft more distance?

brinster teebird
champ roc3

I was taught by the local grand master (who uses rollers and *skips a ton) its all about how you finish your throw.. you kind of splash your hand open during follow though and you can skip any disc spectacularly.

*my favorite shots I've seen him do are skip shots thrown hard in-between trees to get out of jail. he can even do skip escape shots that turnover with beat in valkyries where he skips it less than 20ft away in between tight trees and it'll jump up start flying again and do a anny/turnover flight for another 100-150ft right back into the fairway to save par or even park it.

ding ding ding

Brinster birds are amazing at skipping but I kinda figured it was due to the rock hard JL pastic.

the main point about skipping is that you have to take too big a disc. If you'd get a midrange there, skips need a fairway driver etc.

The disc does not matter as much. Neither the stability. Main point is taking too big a disc.

the main point about skipping is that you have to take too big a disc. If you'd get a midrange there, skips need a fairway driver etc.

The disc does not matter as much. Neither the stability. Main point is taking too big a disc.

I also throw harder than I need to. It's a touchy shot for me. If I don't get it on the ground, it's going WAY too far.

I know mileage may vary by user. But I looked at inbounds flight chart to see what was similar to peoples suggestion of the Flick and I see that the Prodigy H1 is shown to have the exact same flight and distance. Seeing if anyone has experience with both and how they compare? Thanks!

Best skipping discs I have thrown, in order:

Stiletto
Flick
Firebird
XXX
Predator
Whippet X
Ti Stalker
Opto Halo
Verdict

XXX is basically blunter nose FB and cuts hard for me but is very controllable. Whippet or Verdict were my go to's for shorter skip shots until I discovered how well my Ti Stalker worked that line. I imagine a crystal Stalker would be just as amazing at it.

The Whippet X skips well. With a bit of hyzer, you can skip it on a 90 degree turn.

I just picked up a Champion Glow Whippet X this week and it is quickly growing on me. Best way I can describe it is as a shorter FAF Firebird and skips just as well.

And how could I forget the Whippet. Whippet is more driver like small diameter, while Vipers are larger and mid like. Trident is larger also.

Ding, whippet all day. I dont know why you would get rid of a firebird but...Whippets skip for days! Star or Champion/glow. Drones skip a bit but not in all situations like a whippet does.

Latest posts