• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Skip disc compareable to Firebird!

I know I'll catch a lot of flak for this, but....

a under-powered Groove skips very consistently in mid-range distances....

just a thought. :D

Serious, though...a nice gentle fh flick and they skip & roll like a happy-go-lucky raver. :D

SP Tsunami is what I use for a hard skip fade cut when I don't have the ceiling to high hyzer or turn flick something slower. Very Firebird'ish.
For skip approaches, the Drone works pretty good.
Trident is a great utility disc that can skip with the best of them. It also has a roller-friendly rim.
My buddy's Spider and Valks skip on him a bunch, too.

I love the Viper but it doesn't skip much, the ones I throw skid a bit but mostly stick. I love the Trident and the Opto seems to skip a bit more lively.

Ok asking a disc to skip because the edge is bevaled and allowes the skip is different. learning to put the disc at an angle to allow the skip is skill. You can skip a viper all day long. just have to have the disc at the right angly and it will skip.

Granted i am learning how to skip vibram. that is the trick. very hard to do. the rubber truly does stick to the ground. all plastic should skip in short grass.

It is possible to get the skip from a mid, just a lot easier to get it from a driver.

Right, because there is at least a bit of technique needed to get consistent skips. For a driver it is a lot easier to under power it and have it hit the ground low and at a hyzer angle. You have to be more precise with mid to have it hold that angle to impact.

The two champion Gator's i've thrown are skip machines. Very similar to a flat firebird when they're new, but obviously shorter .

I would use the word "Hog" to describe their flight pattern, just violently overstable.

SP Tsunami is what I use for a hard skip fade cut when I don't have the ceiling to high hyzer or turn flick something slower. Very Firebird'ish.
For skip approaches, the Drone works pretty good.
Trident is a great utility disc that can skip with the best of them. It also has a roller-friendly rim.
My buddy's Spider and Valks skip on him a bunch, too.

spider? wtf your the only person ive ever heard say that. they are glideless bricks in a form of beauty. they hit and stick

spider? wtf your the only person ive ever heard say that. they are glideless bricks in a form of beauty. they hit and stick

It's a Champ Spider he's had for years. I've seen it punish his approaches onto hard pack quite a few times. With higher hyzer approaches it stays put, and it's still his go to midrange. He's also the only person I've ever seen throw one, so maybe he just has skippy form.

You won't get that skip unless your looking at something higher speed.

This is a good point. Mids won't skip the same way drivers will. Learning skips is about the angle and speed of the hyzer-side edge as it hits the ground. Flares are more consistent with a more beveled edge like drivers have.

That said, if you want a slightly slower firebird-like flight for skips the Discmania FD2 exactly fits the bill.

It's a Champ Spider he's had for years. I've seen it punish his approaches onto hard pack quite a few times. With higher hyzer approaches it stays put, and it's still his go to midrange. He's also the only person I've ever seen throw one, so maybe he just has skippy form.

interesting. wish i had mine currently at my apt. i had a dx one. great utility disc. talking about it always makes me wish i still bagged it.

P-Line pop top DD2. I got it to try for a main driver but didn't like it. Now it will never leave the bag because the thing skips like a motha. Nothing I have ever thrown skips like this disc. I use it for skipping around trees and it has come through time and again.

I use a FLICK for this, but it is a fast driver disc, but its SOOOO overstable that it cuts early anyway, super skippy. That's what I use.

Latest posts