• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Slipknot

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Although Discraft is stamping up some Slipknot discs… that's neat. I can't wait until the Nordic manufacturers introduce the serious metal artist discs.

Is this the new thing? Will it catch on? Disturbed discs? Lady Gaga? Twenty One Pilots? Toby Keith? Skrillex? Ahem…let me pitch The Prodigy to a certain manufacturer. That should start a fire.

Whole new meaning to "Artist Series Disc". Wait till Gene Simmons learns he can make a few nickels.

Last edited:
Lol- Meshuggah is the only one I know off hand.

I didn't know of them, but after listening to one track I wouldn't be surprised if Lat64 or someone wanted to stick it to those Americans who thought Slipknot was heavy. You've identified the next great disc golf arms race. Gonna check out what these Nordic bands are up to these days.

Bonus: when looking at Meshuggah's page I learned that several of the genres I grew up with have been clumped together as "extreme metal."

It's kind of funny that the list of types of metal I grew up with was getting so long and nitpicky that someone just decided "you know what, it's just 'extreme'" and called it a day.

Bonus 2: I was surprised I missed the apparently deep pool of "Viking metal" bands.

Please throw some names at me, I'm on a metal binge right now.

Opeth was my favorite growing up. They transitioned to prog rock and are still good around 2012 but everything up to Watershed album is still metal to me. Blackwater Park would be my number 1 album to recommend anyone wanting to check out metal.

If you want to a deep dive into black metal check out the early 90s stuff from Darkthrone and Burzum. Mayhem is the gold standard there but it was a little too much for my candy ass.

Cannibal Corpse is a bit of a meme but they do have some bangers. Deicide is good too but again a little too much for my tastes.

I'm a big fan of the final 4 Death albums. Their early stuffs great too but everything after Human is a technical masterpiece

And if you want Viking metal Amon Amarth and Tyr are good examples

Last edited:
I'm usually a classic metal(Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Metallica) guy but have been in a Mastodon kick lately. Would be cool to see them and prodigy team up since they have the GA connection.

Ahem…let me pitch The Prodigy to a certain manufacturer. That should start a fire.

I also used to listen to a lot of The Prodigy and your pun isn't lost on me. Coincidentally I just put together a playlist last week I listen to at the gym and The Prodigy found its way back to me.

IMO this obviously brilliant play by Prodigy discs would add a much-needed buffer against the criticisms about their bland lineup.

"A4"? "H3v2"? Maybe you think "Reverb" was on the right track, but no, let's do away with those uninspired stamps and have this guy staring back at you every time you tee off. There is also a 100% money back guarantee that your cardmates will lose sleep and throw 3-5 strokes worse next round after he haunts their dreams:

Keth-Flint.jpg

I rediscovered Warrior's Dance the other day and found I like it better now than I did then:

THey've been putting the Jumpman logo on their putters for years...pretty sure they don't have that authority either.

I wonder how many cease and desist letters Gateway has received over the years. Jumpman, Grateful Dead, Mr. Clean...Were they the ones doing some Disney nonsense a while back? I have a buddy who is a graphic artist and says Disney lawyers are scary.

Last edited:
I wonder how many cease and desist letters Gateway has received over the years. Jumpman, Grateful Dead, Mr. Clean...Were they the ones doing some Disney nonsense a while back? I have a buddy who is a graphic artist and says Disney lawyers are scary.

At least for Jumpman, I'm guessing they're up to their eyeballs in knockoff Jordan shoes/apparel. Probably way too busy on other, bigger stuff to care much about a disc golf company. It's probably not even worth their time to have a lawyer write a letter given the minimal profits we're talking about from Jumpman wizards.

I saw some disneyesque stamps on Destroyers but note Gateway stuff. That doesn't mean they haven't tried though lol.

I didn't know of them, but after listening to one track I wouldn't be surprised if Lat64 or someone wanted to stick it to those Americans who thought Slipknot was heavy. You've identified the next great disc golf arms race. Gonna check out what these Nordic bands are up to these days.

Bonus: when looking at Meshuggah's page I learned that several of the genres I grew up with have been clumped together as "extreme metal."

It's kind of funny that the list of types of metal I grew up with was getting so long and nitpicky that someone just decided "you know what, it's just 'extreme'" and called it a day.

Bonus 2: I was surprised I missed the apparently deep pool of "Viking metal" bands.

My favorite genre of metal is 'djent' which Meshuggah may have popularized, but don't do it 'my way'. I like individual songs. Animals as Leaders is my favorite Djent (melodic?) metal. I dunno even want to call it:

Probably my absolute favorite hardcore song at the moment (of the last decade). LOVE the djenty breaks!

You all just gave me metal homework to last a couple months so far, thank you :thmbup:

Also, I recently found I had a taste for instrumental metal and bumped into Mick Gordon's work - he's typically a game audio composer, but the guy has made some metal tracks that really pump. I was looking around for other stuff that hits like these. He has some heavy and more melodic work.

Heavy duty (volume warning!):

More melodic:

If you noticed the Slipknot and related influences on some of Mick's work on Doom, you weren't the only one:

I saw Wizards with a Lego Gandalf stamp a few years ago. Or maybe they were Magics.

I'm not replying to a specific person because we're talking bands and multiple people have voiced their favorites for others, so that's how this is going.

Meshuggah is one of those amazing bands that got better with age.

Lamb of God is really good too. VII: Strum und Drang is probably one of the greatest albums I've heard.

Spineshank- The Height of Callousness. This album is an amazing mashup of electo-metal.

Norma Jean's early stuff is sweet up to the Anti-Mother. Think of a hardcore version of the Deftones.

August Burns Red Messengers is another classic album. Not a fan of anything else after this album, but Messengers is through and through a is great album.

Oh and other good random metal/hardcore bands are A Life Once Lost, The Acacia Strain, and Anterrabae.

There's more but I haven't really searched, or tried, to look for music in a long time since I have to spend weeks to find one decent band.

Latest posts