• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Smaller Disc Golf Companies

I love my Flying Squirrel, altho I dropped it from the bag at the moment to work on some other discs. I would LOVE to be able to find any Squirrels in the 160s, but the people who claim to have them seem to have pulled them from the ether as I never see them anywhere.

Squirrel feels very much like the X Comet and throws quite similarly too. Squirrel is really nice for a hole at my course that makes you go to the left for a hard mando, but if you kep going left you will be in the woods. Anny throw it goes around the tree and then fights level and glides neatly.

The flight numbers that were going around were 11/5/-1/3 for the Delta Chimeras and 11/6/-3/2 for the Alpha Chimeras.

Thanks for the update. This is a pretty wide swing in numbers. Is this something that will stabilize as time goes on or is it likely to be two totally separate discs (sharing the same name) based on the plastic?

Thanks for the update. This is a pretty wide swing in numbers. Is this something that will stabilize as time goes on or is it likely to be two totally separate discs (sharing the same name) based on the plastic?

From talking to Mukunda (President of Deity), they are still in the process of getting the Alpha plastic where they want it, so he would be better to speak on the subject.

Salient has:
1) amazing plastic blends
2) horrible discs
3) questionable quality backpacks
4) past poor customer service
5) a new PR man who has been working hard to make the best of a bad situation

So yeah, that's an odd combo. I don't agree with Vibrams recent move, but they do make a quality product. I wouldn't consider them "small" even though their share of the disc golf marketplace might be. They are backed up by a huge, international, well-known brand, which is more than can be said for any other disc golf company.

Pretty much anyone but Innova and Discraft could be considered small in the disc golf world, though. And all of them, except maybe Quest AT, have plenty of positives. It is truly a golden age of disc golf.

My vote would go to either Dynamic Discs or Vibram. Both companies in my opinion support disc golf more than any other companies. Both are relatively small companies and both their fair share of supporting the game.

I had previously mention Vibram as one of the small companies to support but I would now like to retract that statement. Unfortunately I fell in love with Summits and I don't see any disc replacing them. The fact that they released a disc by the name of 420 is ludicrous. It's Vibram screaming from the mountaintops "THIS SPORT ISN'T TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY". Honestly, what were they thinking?!? I can tell you now that I will be doing my best to avoid Vibram products in the future. //rant

I had previously mention Vibram as one of the small companies to support but I would now like to retract that statement. Unfortunately I fell in love with Summits and I don't see any disc replacing them. The fact that they released a disc by the name of 420 is ludicrous. It's Vibram screaming from the mountaintops "THIS SPORT ISN'T TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY". Honestly, what were they thinking?!? I can tell you now that I will be doing my best to avoid Vibram products in the future. //rant

The whole 420 thing is silly and way overblown. But you are entitled to your opinion. I didn't see anyone acting crazy with other disc names. Really it's no big deal, it's no deal at all in fact.

Salient has:
1) amazing plastic blends
2) horrible discs
3) questionable quality backpacks
4) past poor customer service
5) a new PR man who has been working hard to make the best of a bad situation

I agree with this other than the horrible discs portion... I feel like half of the people who say this haven't even tested their products, and base their opinion strictly on hear/say. I can CRUSH a Prometheus forehand, and if you throw a roller they go FOREVER!!! The Antidote is not the most useful disc, but also not "horrible". I would say it's a great disc for a beginner. I would like to know how many of the Salient haters on here have actually tried anything that they have produced, because I think that if you had actually put some field work in with the Prometheus you would be pleasantly surprised!! And the plastic blends are AMAZING!!

Pretty much anyone but Innova and Discraft could be considered small in the disc golf world, though. And all of them, except maybe Quest AT, have plenty of positives. It is truly a golden age of disc golf.

I would add Lat to the list of "non-smalls". They're gaining ground on Discraft in the market very quickly. It doesn't hurt that they're molding for two other companies either.

Did none of you who are ripping on Vibram read Steve Dodge's blog in response to the new disc release?

I did, and he still didn't really speak to the actual subject at hand. He just danced around it.

The disc is a horrible move for the company and it coupled with Steve Dodge are the reason I will never support the company again.

I agree with this other than the horrible discs portion... I feel like half of the people who say this haven't even tested their products, and base their opinion strictly on hear/say. I can CRUSH a Prometheus forehand, and if you throw a roller they go FOREVER!!! The Antidote is not the most useful disc, but also not "horrible". I would say it's a great disc for a beginner. I would like to know how many of the Salient haters on here have actually tried anything that they have produced, because I think that if you had actually put some field work in with the Prometheus you would be pleasantly surprised!! And the plastic blends are AMAZING!!

Ive tried both the discs and caddied for someone with the bag. Both discs are horrible, the prometheus is just a novelty disc with pretty much to real world use for most of us and the antidote is only useful as a starter disc for a 4 year old. And the bag is uncomfortable and poorly designed.

If Legacy is still considered small I would say they are pretty much the best small company making discs.

I know all disc companies are small in the business world but I don't really consider MVP, DD, Lat64, Westside, or Vibram to be small anymore.

DD still feels small to me because it's just a storefront with people I know downtown to run a lot of local tournaments. On Monday when I was holding the door open for the mailman watching him pull out bag upon bag of packages to go out I realized they're moving product. A large hub of distribution, 2 satellite retail franchise stores, and tournament RVs moving from state to state.

Disc golf is growing and that's good. Gives more room for small startups like DD was, and like how Innova was before the rest.

How's the weather up on your cross, Horsy?

i am pretty upset with Vibram regarding the 420 nonsense. Recently our small club finally got the town blessing and local business group support to back us and they agreed to a fundraiser tourney to introduce the game to locals
we chose the vibram birdie bash
a week later this 420 crap comes out

thanks steve dodge you dont realize how much damage your doing by trying to appeal to a niche market that is undermining the potential of dg

i am not anti thc but common sense please

this release is an attempt to seem cool n hip

theres a huge heroin epidemic here and drug abuse is not seen as a joke anymore so any drug reference is not taken lightly