• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snap sound or quiet release?

Do your drives make a "snap" sound?

• Yes

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • No

Votes: 52 24.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 107 50.7%
  • I cant throw good enough to truly answer.. sorry'

Votes: 10 4.7%

• Total voters
I like in the Flyboy Meetup vid when you throw 600'+ that there's no audible snap ... it's like: wow, great form and nice rip ... that's really gonna go farrrrrrrrrOH MY GOD WHAT A TOSS!!!!!

Yeah, the good ones are usually silent. They just take off like a missile. As a thrower, you know it right away, as it leaves your hand. As an observer, it can be deceiving until the disc actually lands. The crushes usually look, and sound effortless.

An introductory comment, I have loud audible snap.

That being said, I completely reject the idea that it is categorically a bad thing.

I think there are two different noises, one is slippage, where you hear a softer sound. The other is a crisp pop. I think the critics who say it is slippage are correct to the former, and incorrect to the latter.

I talked to Ricky Wysocki a while back about this, and asked him his opinion. he said that he did not think it was a bad thing, and that most of the guys from tour have that sound at least sometimes. So, if it is bad, go tell all the 1025+ guys they suck.

I think the sound is determinative most of throwing style. It depends on when the acceleration starts, grip, hand size, dermatological concerns (dryness, roughness, oiliness, etc.) and other science related concepts.

I don't think it sufficiently affects spin, velocity, etc. I throw a Teebird 450+ consistently, with load audible snap. I am not unique in that respect, especially on the internet. If it negatively affects me, who cares.

I agree with all posts here that say you are stupid if you focus on the presence or lack of audible snap when considering form. It is a dead end, and instead focus on your fundamentals, efficiency, and ease of energy production.

I get an audible snap when ever my grip is too loose or I am slightly off with my timing. I think it isn't inherently bad, as long as it is consistent.. but for me its bad those are my worst shots

An introductory comment, I have loud audible snap.

That being said, I completely reject the idea that it is categorically a bad thing.

What a surprise :p

There are two different kinds of snap, one is the noise and one is the concept that a few tech gurus try to explain ( see Blake for example). The noise is certainly not helping, or depending on who you ask even bad for your drive. The tech concept is what we all aim for to throw farther.

My best throws are when I get that audible pop. For me the sound is generated from the disc ripping out of my fingers.

Take the pointer finger and thumb and reach around any of the curled fingers or thumb of your other hand. Pinch the tops of the pointer and thumb together as hard as you can and pull.

My fingers are not strong enough to stop them from pulling away and I get a pop sound. I don't know how I would not get that sound as the disc pulls out from my fingers unless I actively open them to release the disc.

There are two different kinds of snap, one is the noise and one is the concept that a few tech gurus try to explain ( see Blake for example). The noise is certainly not helping, or depending on who you ask even bad for your drive. The tech concept is what we all aim for to throw farther.

Maybe you missed the quote I posted above from Blake, which referrers to the audible snap.

This poll has nothing to do with imparting spin on the disc.

What Feldberg had to say about this.

Last February, while he was warming up for his first round at the Memorial in Scottsdale, I asked Dave Feldberg to tell me what "snap" is. He said that if your talking about the sound of fingers slapping the palm, then it means that you opened your hand slightly, prior to the hit. He said the sound of a properly released disc is just a swoosh of air. He demonstrated this by throwing several LONG hyzer drives and all I heard was the swoosh. He told me that "snap" is probably the most misunderstood term in disc golf.

Last February, while he was warming up for his first round at the Memorial in Scottsdale, I asked Dave Feldberg to tell me what "snap" is. He said that if your talking about the sound of fingers slapping the palm, then it means that you opened your hand slightly, prior to the hit. He said the sound of a properly released disc is just a swoosh of air. He demonstrated this by throwing several LONG hyzer drives and all I heard was the swoosh. He told me that "snap" is probably the most misunderstood term in disc golf.

Dave talks about this a bit in DGM #94 as well, it's available on Youtube.

I never have a snap on my backhand, but once in a blue moon there will be a snap sound from my FH (which is definitely from a slip in my grip). My fiancee, who throws around 200-225 feet on average, has a very loud snap on her BH drives though.

I've been practicing all winter after having readjusted my form. I used the towel drill hard and heavy and incorporated a lower pull through which helped me to get the nose down more in my throws. Now there is more snap on the back and forehand releases and I could hear it today.

I guess I could explain some things:

Categorically - means; always. So When I say categorically bad, I mean that there are likely to be instances where it is neutral at worst.

I don't think you read my post. I am well aware of the difference between snap the sound, and snap the phenomenon of increased rotation.

My only point, is that if you hear that sound, and immediately say, "That was a bad throw." It isn't about the sound, its about the things that actually happen to the disc. There are TONS of guys on tour who have an audible snap. There is a video of GG posted where he throws pretty quietly, he also uses a non-conventional three or four finger fan style grip. Perhaps that has something to do with the sound of his drive.

In short, it is my educated opinion that anyone who says audible snap is categorically bad is a moron.

I'm not gauging my improvement by whether or not I get a snap. After spending the winter doing the towel exercise I developed the snap, where before it did not exist. I would step on the tee pad and just muscle it as far as I could. Wound up having sore shoulders and form was very rough and inconsistent. Instructional videos really helped me to understand the dynamics of better throwing. As far as the audible snap I can't see how that would have a bearing on anything.....jus sayin......

I tend to get an audible snap when throwing above 75% power or so. Never have known if its good or bad, or what causes it. It's been happening for me since year 1.

More videos I have watched in better quality recently, lead me to believe a snap sound of some type of another is the "norm" with most top level players.

Too loud of a snap and you create too much drag on the disc. Not enough snap sound and you are likely not putting the rotational momentum on the disc that you could otherwise have. I tend to error on the side of putting too much drag on the disc coming out of my hand.

My full power drives almost always have snap since I have a really strong grip, I have friends that throw just as far without an audible sound. I think it stems from our use of different grips and how we release.

When I use the power grip on my drivers I hear a snap every now and then, and as BH player I noticed these throws usually end up going far right of my intended line. Now my buddy throws strictly FH, everytime he drives he snaps his fingers.