• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So is the Drone the go to overstable midrange?

Do you feel obligated to ask this question in every OS mid thread?

I'm actually starting to agree with you on this point. Haven't thrown an overstable mid in quite a while.

ha!

yeah...i actually took the drone out myself. wasp is the most i have. but i do have a whippet if need be.

Ultra-rubed!

If this were a true Prerubing, the links would have come in the form of the thread titles. We all know how 'Rube does his thing.

"So is the Drone the go to overstable midrange?"

No.

Trident.

Trident is like the Swiss Army Knife of my bag. OS mid, overhand shots, get-out-of-trouble flicks, big skips. Super underrated. Get one and fall in love.

I actually carry a FLX Drone for one purpose; really short sky hyzers that I want to spike straight into the ground and just stop. Other than that, as others have said, you can use a Wasp or other less-OS mid/fairway to do what you need in the wind, IMO a Drone takes a little bit more power for longer shots into the wind, although if you're really unsure a Drone is nice to have just in case.

FLX Drones are awesome. Yes they are unmatched in the wind. But to me it is a very versatile disc...they are superb for mid range s shots, side arm approaches, and fan gripped for quick short left turns. It is also my go to disc for super accurate shots in the 175-250ft range. Predictability is its virtue.

To the OP: I carry a FLX Drone for the many purposes stated above. You can throw the thing in a 30mph wind if you want to. Awesome for spike hyzers that stick. Get one. A heavy one. If you don't like it, it's super easy to trade or sell.

i did just pick up a vibram vp and it seems as overstable as the zone does, but i havent thrown it into the wind yet.

Off topic response to nolangherity: Bye bye Zone. The VP is all that... and more.

I also picked up a zone last summer and haved liked it ever since . It is really overstable but I could throw it in the wind too if you throw it hard and flat enough it will have a nice hyzer line on it . Few of us here in minnesota would use them for long putts as well .

Trident is like the Swiss Army Knife of my bag. OS mid, overhand shots, get-out-of-trouble flicks, big skips. Super underrated. Get one and fall in love.

onemilemore knows what's up!

I'm like McGuyver on the course.....give me a Trident, birdie bag, pack of gum, Opto Pure and a RC Cola and I'll shoot under par!

I have been liking the new Zxtreme as my OS mid. It's not quite as OS as the old run, but at the distances I like to use it (under 300) it has positive HSS so it must be worked nose down with anny. M

I used to love my Drone, and still feel fondly enough about it to keep it. I use a GL Pain for those shots though. Not as OS, but a great disc that I trust on just about any line. I haven't tried sidearming a Roc3 yet, but the one I have is slightly flippy and doesn't fly like my Pain. Or Drone.

I like the Zone. Honestly, it fits my bag better than a overstable true midrange. I only use the Zone when I need a crazy hook, if I want to throw a short spike hyzer, or if there's a headwind and I can't use my putter. Honestly, my Buzzz works really well in the wind (not sure why people hate on it for that), so I don't really need an overstable disc at that range. Just put some hyzer on it, and I'm good to go.

Discraft has a solid mid-range lineup. I used to have a Hornet which has similar OS as a Drone with much better glide. I decided a Wasp has all the OS I need.

The Demon by gateway is my choice. Bought 3 drones did not like them. Bought a Demon and love it. I think it fights the wind better, and feels better in the hand. E HPP plastic is pretty good. Havnt thrown the baseline plastic.

Not quite a mid, but if I need something to go left, I throw my pro pig. I use it for short putts and drives out to 275 or so. I love it, it's my favorite disc.

The Gator is crap compared to a Drone IMO....and dont get me wrong, I am an Innova lover to the core...but the Gator is way too unpredictable. The Drone will NEVER flip over or accidentally go straight.

However, I have been using the Zone more and more over the Drone. The Zone has way less Glide so I rarely have to worry about throwing it past target.

Latest posts