• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So many divisions!!!!!!!!W

This thread is full of idealistic people. And ideals are great.

Its when those ideals start bumping up against reality that we have problems.

If the price is right, what's wrong with 850 guys playing against 930 guys? Are we afraid of a little competition?

Yep. And even though this group of 10-20 guys aren't awesome players, what if they added to their local scene by joining their local club, doing course maintenance, and helping run tournaments or leagues?

If y'all cant tell, that scenario was me. And I am part of two local clubs (I wont get into club politics) do tons of maintence on my two local courses, volunteered to run a league at my closest course (clubs shot it down...like I said, politics) and TDed my first event with the Vibram Birdie Bash. I try to make as many club events as I can, and was one of the few people to man up and play in our local Ice Bowl.

I love disc golf but saying I have no right to play tournaments because I don't have the free time to play everyday is asinine. Ive never played an event as a Rec player where I wasn't given massive amounts of my entry fee to payout higher divisions. Making a 16 dollar entry fee with mo payouts and a small players pack just makes sense.

If y'all cant tell, that scenario was me. And I am part of two local clubs (I wont get into club politics) do tons of maintence on my two local courses, volunteered to run a league at my closest course (clubs shot it down...like I said, politics) and TDed my first event with the Vibram Birdie Bash. I try to make as many club events as I can, and was one of the few people to man up and play in our local Ice Bowl.

I love disc golf but saying I have no right to play tournaments because I don't have the free time to play everyday is asinine. Ive never played an event as a Rec player where I wasn't given massive amounts of my entry fee to payout higher divisions. Making a 16 dollar entry fee with mo payouts and a small players pack just makes sense.

Of course I could tell, and I agree with you.

That's not that bad, but an 810 player (me) playing against a 950 player is something else entirely.

Hey, I'm pretty low on the totem pole too, but I'd love the chance to play with better guys. A Pro-Am would be sweet too.

I just dislike that every 6 months the entry fee keeps raising?

First it was $40, then $60, up to $85, and finally just saw one for $105 wtf.

Around these parts there was a winter series this year with only am and pro divisions, after the first round the split the AMs into 3 flights based on first roun scores then "paid" the 3 flights as if they were different divisions even though on the report everyone played MA1. People seemed to like it...

Why do we have so many PDGA divisions?

Why can't we just have a Pro mens division, a Pro Womens division, and then an Amateur division and an AM womens division?

Eliminate all merch payouts to ams. Trophies only.

This will grow the fields, so now you will be playing in larger fields.

And more people will move into the pro division that are top ams because they want to try and win something.

I think I am going to start doing this for all of my PDGA events.

So sick of playing events with 14 pro men and 12 pro masters. Would be a lot more fun to play against 26 players. If you are a Pro master that feels he can't compete in the pro division, guess what, you are probably really just an advanced player.

Do what you want in your own tournament. I think it could cost you a few signups. I know this much, I play intermediate and I never would have made it this far from a 780 to a 900 rating if I didn't have the incentive of winning something. Lower divisions develop future advanced and pro players. Why in the hell would I pay $40 for a CHANCE at a trophy? I can play a round for free. And I'd say almost 80% of players are the same way. When I get new people to sign up in tourneys I'm only successful by mentioning they can WIN DISCS. I sometimes fail unless there is a novice division. So I know for a fact that EVERY division increases participation. Period. That is something you clearly don't value. I guess you like your little group of pros. Well then hang out with them in your pro only tourney, no sweat here, because in a free market TD's will always recognize that they will make more money and foster more participation in growing our sport by not being so inclusive.

One more thing. Tourneys run by organizations like Dynamic Discs have trophy only for rec and no novice division. Why? Because their tourneys full up. I know weaker players that won't play DD but DD doesn't miss them. That's pure economics at work, which is what drives the businesses that put this on.

I didn't read past your OP so I don't know if you explained your reasoning because maybe I'm missing something, but since you don't explain yourself, you sound like one of those guys that just likes to complain and hates fresh faces and new players in his tourneys. I hope you try your experiment, because I'd like to see it fail. I want it to fail because I think it is bad for new players which is exactly what drives the growth in our sport. I don't mind you wanting the sport not to grow and have new people, but just say it. Doesn't matter, the free market will decide anyway.

Agree with much of what Gamble says. I'm playing a tournament in Montana this weekend, and I got one of my buddies who has never played a tournament to sign up...and it wasn't the allure of the players pack which got him to sign up. It was the possibility of winning some prizes. A lot of people start playing tournaments for that exact reason.

By just making one big field, you are limiting yourself to those who already play tournaments. You will draw in few, if any, new tournament players. And eventually that pool will run out.

After reading some of the new posts in this thread, I've changed my mind. There should be as many divisions as you can fill.

However, I still want much lower am entry fees (I like the idea of $10 with no players pack or $20 with a pack), trophy only for ams, and I personally want zero of my money going to pros pockets.

The truth is, people play disc golf tournaments for a wide range of reasons. No one factor pulls them all in, or drives them all off.

But TDs, putting in all the time and effort, want players to come to their event. So they tend to do what they believe most players want. Which has led us to the multi-small-division, high-entry, merch-payout-to-Ams structure.

It's a leap for a TD to decide to do something different, for philosophical or theoretical reasons, not knowing if players will show up. Blame the TDs or the manufacturers or the PDGA, but don't forget to blame the players, who vote with their entry fees, too.

But TDs, putting in all the time and effort, want players to come to their event. So they tend to do what they believe most players want. Which has led us to the multi-small-division, high-entry, merch-payout-to-Ams structure.

So if the TD put in half the time and effort by having only 2-4 divisions (and cutting a few other corners elsewhere), and only half the number of players showed up.......it would be a wash?

I think there is more going on motivating TDs than that. For one, many/most TD's also want to "win"....to be seen as having the biggest and best events.

I like the idea of playing for something in am divisions. I don't want a 10$ trophy because I'm not 12 years old. You have to give casual players a reason to come to a tournament.