• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So what are your top 10 courses?

uNicedmeMan said:
I personally like both the new and old senecas.

I would say its cooler now because there are 27 holes. Additionally, you don't need to throw a roller as often. New hole 10 long, formerly hole 1 comes to mind as the only hole where you absolutely need a roller to get the bird.

Hmm...Hole 22 to the long is a roller hole still as well. I've gotten the bird on a air shot, but I've also gotten in the cedars quite a few times. Also, I'd roll hole 20 to the long, but I have a nice flick to park that. Also hole 9 from the long to the long pin. I've only ever gotten that bird with a roller.

Overall, I like the new layout better than the old one. More balanced and more holes. This course is on my top ten list.

Wow, this old thread, good to see it resurface! Although, looking back through it, I realize how many people aren't on the board anymore. :( Got to play many more courses this year, so I can make a list of my own now.

1. Milo McIver - Estacada, OR
2. Pier Park - Portland, OR (my favorite city course)
3. Seatac - Seatac, WA
4. Lucky Mud - Skamakowa, WA (private course at a bed & breakfast in a secluded Pacific Northwest sanctuary setting)
5. Four Mound Disc Golf Reserve - Spokane, WA (private course(s), on I don't know how many acres (a lot) in a beautiful setting in Eastern WA)
6. New Quarter Park - Williamsburg, VA
7. Waller Pines - Santa Maria, CA (Santa Maria is a pretty nothing town, but they have a fantastic 27 holer in the middle of it...awesome place for a pit stop on a coastal road trip)
8. Lake Casitas - Ojai, CA (best course I played in SoCal.)
9. Lakewood - West Seattle, WA (arguably the easiest "real" course in the Seattle area, though it's always challenging for me, and I always seem to have a good time there)
10. White River - Auburn, WA

Honorable mentions:
Dabney - Portland, OR (I only got to play a hurried round in a torrential downpour in the late afternoon. Seemed like a great course, but I need to see it again)
Ft. Steilacoom - Tacoma, WA (I believe it has 50-some baskets and 80-some teepads, maybe more. Great place to have as your home course with infinite possibilities of layouts, but I can never remember which holes belong to which layouts)
Downriver - Spokane, WA (another good course that I only got to play once. Lots of fun elevation holes.)
NAD Park - Bremerton, WA (need to play it more, beautiful forested park--if you visit WA looking for the PNW environment, this is the course to go to)

Will Aubrey said:
1. Iroquois Park - Louisville KY
2. Kereiakes - Bowling Green KY
3. Muse Park - Jackson, TN
4. Yellow Creek - Owensboro, KY
5. Central Park - Murray, KY
6. Eagle Valley - Evansville, IN
7. American Legion Park - Glasgow, KY
8. Thompson Point - Carbondale, IL
9. Henry Jackson Park - Danville, KY
10. Natcher Elementary - Bowling Green, KY

american legion? are you sure? its in my hometown of glasgow a decent course very short but tough with many trees but homemade baskets and bad tees make it not as good.

1) Zypher Cove (South Lake Tahoe, NV)
2) Stafford Lake (Novato, CA)
3) Idlewild (Burlington, KY)
4) Horseshoe Canyon Ranch (Jasper, AR)
5) Lake of the Sky (Tahoe Vista, CA)
6) Delaveaga (Santa Cruz, CA)
7) Cedar Hill (Nashville, TN)
8) Golden Gate Park (San Francisco, CA)
9) Sugar Bottom (North Liberty, IA)
10) Seven Oaks (Nashville, TN)

Honorable mention:
Turkey Creek (Iowa City, IA)
Forked Run (Reedsville, OH)
Bijou (South Lake Tahoe, NV)

1. Highbridge Gold, Highbridge, WI
2. The Woodshed & Whipping Post, Paw Paw, WV (2 courses)
3. Warwick Town Park, Warwick, NY
4. Moraine State Park, Portersville, PA
5. Maple Hill, Leicester, MA
6. Iron Hill Park, Newark, DE
7. Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC
8. Borderland State Park, Easton, MA
9. Circle R Ranch, Wimberely/Blanco, TX (2 courses)

No Particular Order

Mesker Park, Evansville IN
Wickham Park, Melbourne FL
Banklick, Independence, Ky
Hoover Dam, Columbus OH
Rotary, Huntington, WV
Tuscawilla, Daytona Fl
Tradewinds, Ft. Lauderdale FL
Red Hawk, Crystal River FL
Barnett Park, Orlando FL
Turkey Lake, T2 Orlando FL

1. Warwick Town Park, Warwick NY
2. Mighty Gaw (Campgaw) Mahwah, NJ
3. Renaissance Gold, Charlotte, NC
4. The Grange, Spotsylvania, VA
5. Winthrop Gold, Rock Hill, SC
6. Cameron Park East, Waco, TX
7. Eddison Park, Canberra, Australia (sick location)
8. Rockburn, Elkridge, MD
9. Veterans Park, Arlington, TX
10. Patapsco State Park, Ellicot City, MD
10.5. Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA (very cool aesthetics)

1. Freeman Lake Park - Elizabethtown KY
2. Lake Cumberland State Park - Jamestown, KY
3. Iroquois Park - Louisville KY
4. Mike MIller Park - Draffenville KY
5. Kereiakes Park - Bowling Green KY
6. Central Park - Murray KY
7. Mesker Park - Evansville IN
8. Sanders Ferry Park - Hendersonvile TN
9. Crockett Park - Franklin TN
10. Jefferson Barracks - St. Louis MO

1. flip city- michigan
2. beast - ludington mi
3. leviathan- ludington mi
4. west park- joliet illinois
5. silver lemon lake, crown point indiana
6. chanahan, chanahan illinois
7. beauty- ludington mi
8. red lemon lake, crown point indiana
9. blue lemon lake, crown point indiana
10. rogers lakewood, valparaiso indiana

Chuck....where are the next decided worlds locations and who is bidding for 2010? I'm wondering if Monterey is in the mix yet with their 4 fourth course in the ground now.

I decided to limit it to one favorite course per state, so here's my list, based on that criteria. An honorable mention course in each state is listed in parentheses:

1. Renaissance - Charlotte, NC (HM: Hornet's Nest)
2. The Woodshed - Paw Paw, WV (HM: The Whipping Post)
3. Cameron East (The Beast) - Waco, TX (HM: Cedar Hill)
4. Borderlands - MA (HM: Buffumville Dam)
5. Hawk Holllow - Spotsylvania, VA (HM: Loriella)
6. Whispering Falls - PA (HM: Codorus)
7. Seneca Creek State Park - Gaithersburg, MD (HM: Patapsco)
8. Warwick - NY (HM: Scott Wolfe)
9. Golden Gate Park - San Francisco, CA (HM: Delaveaga)
10. Keriakes - Bowling Green, KY (HM: Franklin Park)

Tim - I see we have some common choices - I had to leave seneca of b/c I havent played the new layout, but no Bluemont coming from NoVA?..... (first course I ever played and my one and only ace - #6 w/a Hero stamped Champ Aviar!)

martin said:
Tim - I see we have some common choices - I had to leave seneca of b/c I havent played the new layout, but no Bluemont coming from NoVA?..... (first course I ever played and my one and only ace - #6 w/a Hero stamped Champ Aviar!)

Bluemont is great -- it's my home course up here (still 25 minutes from my home/office) -- but it's just hard to put it in the same league with Hawk Hollow (if you haven't played there, you need to -- its awesome, especially in the 27 hole layout).

I'm surprised you've gotten around so much and apparently played the same courses I have in different parts of the country. I lived in Texas and in Massachusetts and have road tripped through CA, NC, CO, and various other states and hit DG courses along the way.

Cameron East is one of my favorite courses in the country -- despite minimal elevation and being beastly hot most of the year. I just think it has some of the most fair and challenging shots of any course I've ever played. Not to mention, some of my best memories. Several of my best friends live in Waco, my brother is at A&M, and I used to live in Dallas, so Waco is where we'd all convene for long disc golf weekends -- so I've done more smack talk at the Beast than at any other course. My personal best down there is a 52 -- and that was with a stupid circle-4 instead of a deuce on the first short pond hole (missed the putt, rolled in the water, and had to can the comeback for the circle-4). The regular Cameron Park course is where I got my most recent ace when I was visiting back in the spring -- first shot on the first hole (That big uphill), annyed a FLX Buzz straight into the chains. :)

I'm trying to arrange a DG roadtrip with my brother after he graduates on Aug. 9 -- I'm thinking of heading up from NoVA to Warwick and hitting MD/PA/DE/NJ courses all the way up and back. Right now, the tentative roadtrip starts on August 13 and goes through August 19: 7 days, 6 states, 15+ courses and an estimated 478 holes of play -- with a little time to browse New York and Philadelphia on the side:

For a rough map of the loop, go here: http://www.tinyurl.com/discgolftrip

Day one (Wednesday) -- leave early A.M. -- 90 holes today
Drive 32 miles to play Seneca Creek in MD (27 holes)
Drive 72 miles to play Codorus in PA (54 holes + 9 holes of mini disc golf)
not sure where to sleep that night.

Day two (Thursday) -- 100 holes today!
Drive 27 miles to play at Pinochot State Park in PA (36 holes)
Drive 95 miles to play at Little Lehigh Parkway (18 holes)
Drive 15 miles to play at Nockamixon in PA (14 holes -- play twice)
Drive 20 miles to play at Tinicum Park in PA (18 holes)
Drive 90 miles to Warwick state park in NY and sleep/camp somewhere

Day three (Friday) -- 90 holes today
Play Warwick State Park all day (18 holes with two tees and two baskets on
each, so four rounds)
Play Scott Wolfe Park (adjacent to Warwick)
stay in same place that night

Day four (Saturday) -- 72 holes today
Play Warwick again -- favorite layout if we want to
Drive 12 miles to play Buzzy's Creek in NJ (18 holes) - optional
Drive 18 miles to Play Campgaw in NJ (18 holes at a ski resort area, play twice if possible)
Drive 30 miles to Manhattan in NY and spend evening/night with a friend in the city

Day five (Sunday) -- 0 holes today
Spend the day in NYC and crash with friend again

Day six (Monday) -- 54 holes today
Get up early, early am and escape traffic
drive 75 miles to play Tyler State Park in PA (27 holes)
drive 30 miles to Philadelphia and play Sedgeley Woods (27 holes, optional)
Spend the night with friend in Philly

Day seven (Tuesday) -- 72 holes today
Drive 30 miles to play Brandywine Creek in DE (18 holes)
Drive 15 miles to play Anson Nixon in PA (18 holes)
Drive 15 miles to play Iron Hill in DE (18 holes) -- play twice
Drive 105 miles home to my house and crash. Hard.

If anyone lives or has played in this area of the country and has suggestions on how this itinerary could be improved, please let me know.

Also: Martin -- would you be up for showing us the course for Campgaw on Saturday, Aug. 16? -- and is Buzzy's Creek worth the time? It seems like you and I have similar preferences in Disc Golf courses, so I'll trust your opinion.

Thanks.

Chuck....where are the next decided worlds locations and who is bidding for 2010? I'm wondering if Monterey is in the mix yet with their 4 fourth course in the ground now.
2009 Pro/Am Worlds in Kansas City
2010 Am Worlds small towns north of Columbus, OH centered around Marion
2010 Pro Worlds Hammond, IN is preparing a bid
2011 Am Worlds Rochester, NY
2011 Pro Worlds - Open
2012 - Open and no bids accepted for review until 2009 Spring Summit

No knowledge of any other bids being prepared for Fall Summit in September but have heard rumors from other places regarding future plans to do so

Chuck Kennedy said:
2009 Pro/Am Worlds in Kansas City
2010 Am Worlds small towns north of Columbus, OH centered around Marion
2010 Pro Worlds Hammond, IN is preparing a bid
2011 Am Worlds Rochester, NY
2011 Pro Worlds - Open
2012 - Open and no bids accepted for review until 2009 Spring Summit

No knowledge of any other bids being prepared for Fall Summit in September but have heard rumors from other places regarding future plans to do so

Chuck, do you know if the Dallas / Ft. Worth, TX area has ever hosted a Worlds? I've heard a lot of people talking about the possibility of hosting one in the next several year with all the new courses going in right now.

The Pro Worlds in Texas were Port Arthur in 1994 and 1995 and 2002 in Houston. No Am Worlds there.

1. Buckhorn at Harris Lake County Park - New Hill, NC
2. Dretzka Park - WI
3. Golden Hills DGC - Christiansburg/Blacksburg, VA
4. New Quarter Park - Williamsburg Va
5. Bennett's Creek Park - Suffolk, VA
6. Dorey Park - Richmond, VA
7. Loriella Park - Spotsylvania, VA
8. Newport News DGC - Newport News, VA
9. Bryan Park - Richmond, VA
10. Pratt Park-Fredericksburg, VA

dmbill- have you played Randolph Park? It is about 30 minutes away from Golden Hills and a great new course. There are some issues with it but it is new and I think they are mostly "teething problems."

Also Franklin County Park (also called Sontag) is well worth the trip. It is by Roanoke.