• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] So you throw "control" drivers?

Same I only have the Speed 12 Destroyer in my bag right now. I just will never really generate the speed to use more Max distance discs, small size and just not built for that.

Small size isn't the issue, and can be a good thing, depending on some things... Just watch Paige Pierce send a driver downrange(!). She has the armspeed and body coordination to transfer speed into her discs, and they do Paige things when she rips 'em.

Small size isn't the issue, and can be a good thing, depending on some things... Just watch Paige Pierce send a driver downrange(!). She has the armspeed and body coordination to transfer speed into her discs, and they do Paige things when she rips 'em.

Yes but I might be even smaller then they are, shocking for a male born in the USA. Also I can't use much past speed 10 with that anyhow since I am USA size adult small or Kids XL with my hands depending on the brand, grip is the issue for me. I just find of the max drivers to use too much speed that I have to use my whole body and all the strength I have each time to get most max power for those discs to do about half of what the female players can do, but when I use a speed 9-10 disc I can get them even slightly beefy ones say an Avenger like disc to fly good distance about 75% what the top females can do. Now is that just a practice problem or a body size problem? I can't use more understable max distance discs as they tend to end up on uncontrollable rollers that go wherever they feel like (terrain would have to be flat like a gym to fly the disc where I wanted it to go) even a driver disc like a Road runner would do for me so I do not use them in control driver discs, fairway drivers I use are the discs I can have understable and not do the roller thing on me as I can power down a tiny bit to have the disc fly right.

I don't carry "control" drivers in the bag. I've thrown them all before at some point, but speed 9 stuff is something I don't use much.

I have a champion Teebird, and the next fastest thing I use is a champion Starfire.
I've found speed 9s to be somewhat "tweener" discs that don't really fit much of a need for me. Anything I can't get to with a Teebird I generally use the Starfire or Surge on.

If I had to carry something speed 9 it would be a Thunderbird. Its such a versatile disc that can be used for fairway or distance shots. A Thunderbird will fly reliably to about 400' for me.

Essentially, I use the champion Teebird for "control" purposes. Drives that are 350'ish where I want a pretty precise line and good accuracy. The Teebird fits perfectly there because I can rip it fully and it won't get weird and fly all over the place or get pushed around by wind.

The Thunderbird does everything a Teebird does, but about 50' longer. That goes more into the distance than control realm for me.

I only throw my Outlaws a little further than PD's, maybe 20-30 feet. But they need a lot more room to work, and I'm more likely to send them off-line. So for me, the PD is more like my primary distance driver unless it's a wide open hole. I've also figured out that in a stiff headwind, my C-PD goes further than anything else. It just stays up longer.

Champ Orc for me, though I suppose its technically a driver.. doesn't see a lot of use, but its there when I need a more than a fairway bh or fh.. trust it out over the water as well. I've tried Thunderbirds, but the extra distance was minimal over Teebirds for me.

I bag a felon, MF convict (very stable for a convict), McCray Saint Pro (slightly less HSS but still reliable) and these serve me in the traditional control driver slots. RHBH shot that cannot go right, RHFH shot that cannot go left, flex shot that no matter how much anhyzer I put on it it will hyzer out. When I think of a control driver in the traditional sense it is more specific to limiting what I want it NOT to do.

I personally have a few other of what I consider control drivers, for instance my GL river. When I need to throw a RHBH that will not hyzer out on me but also won't turn and burn (because I know how to throw it) I smooth my river out there for a nice controlled steady right turn.

What makes these different than other drivers is the variance of where they will wind up laterally to the target (and in some regards distance). My escape/saint get greater distances but are less accurate so if I have more room to play I will grab them and I can overshoot baskets (on occasion).

I love control drivers! I think speed 9 has the best lineup of discs, I carry Thunderbirds, Firebirds, a cd2 and a super beat in pro Valk for rollers. I do bag wraiths as well, but those only come out on certain courses.

When I think of a control driver in the traditional sense it is more specific to limiting what I want it NOT to do.

This is a really great way of thinking about it. Same for me. Not too much glide/unpredictability, not too much turn, not too much skip, not too power hungry. Just take clean power and don't do anything stupid, and land in the landing zone. No need to be fancy, just do it right every time.

That is what the best control drivers do IMO, the PD/Sword/Volt type driver that can be thrown far, but doesn't turn or fade all that dramatically and for most players you can drop them in a tighter area with 75-90% of your max distance potential.

Absolutely - Most of my driving is done with control drivers - on most courses - my max D drivers are for bigger courses/longer holes - I really like the speed 9-10 discs. Great control, easier rim depth - still good distance. Yeah everything is personal so maybe some folks don't care to carry anything other than 7 speed fairways then 12 speed distance, whatever - Me personally. I LOVE the speed 9-10's and I use them a lot. So....yeah

Agreed, I'd cut max d drivers and maybe even mids before control drivers.

My Nutsac that I travel with has an Ahti/Stag/Bard/Swan2 in it right now and as much as I love my longer discs, I don't score much worse(if at all) without them.

My Nutsac that I travel with has an Ahti/Stag/Bard/Swan2 in it right now and as much as I love my longer discs, I don't score much worse(if at all) without them.

finally someone talking some sense on here

I only bag 4 Max distance drivers (4 Destroyer in different wears) but I bag 6 control drivers ( 2 Leopard3, MF Teebird3, Valkyrie, and 2 Firebird).

I'm halfway there already... only two mids and three high-speed drivers (and one of those thrown only into strong winds). I could leave those at home (except the Panther, of course), and would probably do pretty well, also.

Actually I guess some would call my DD the Flow a longer control driver these days (speed 11).

Other than that Im actually dismantling my arsenal of CDs for FDs. :)

Champ Orc for me, though I suppose its technically a driver.. doesn't see a lot of use, but its there when I need a more than a fairway bh or fh.. trust it out over the water as well. I've tried Thunderbirds, but the extra distance was minimal over Teebirds for me.

Orc is speed 10 and is in the 9-10 Control driver set, but since it is more overstable then I would not call it a Control driver, Control drivers range from slightly oversable to slightly understable.

I have core setup that is:
Predator/Tsunami- speed 9
Teebirds/Alphas- Long speed 7
Undertows- Speed 9

I use these as fairway and control drivers, otherwise I bump up to Defender/Punisher/Cranks (All about speed 12)

I have not found I have such a significant gap between the Teebirds and Punishers that I need a bridge. For reference average Teebird~350', average Punisher ~375'. Max distance with Undertow, ~400', max with Crank ~440' (but not as frequently as the undertow distance).

Orc is speed 10 and is in the 9-10 Control driver set, but since it is more overstable then I would not call it a Control driver, Control drivers range from slightly oversable to slightly understable.

Bruh. The current day term for control driver IS the 9/10 speed range. Run of the mill fairway is Leopard or Stalker slow class at 6, and Teebird at 7 (1.6-1.8 rim width roughly). Valkyrie, Firebird, OLF, PD, Thunderbird, Volt, Orc, Bandit, etc etc in the 1.9-2.0 class is completely reasonable for the control category. The only category beyond it is distance driver and those go usually 2.1-2.5 (Wraith-Katana or Cannon)...you could argue 2.1 fits into control but is a Wraith really not a distance driver? If the Surge is a 2.2 rim and the Wraith is 2.1 where do you draw the line...2.0?

I digress.

EDIT: How is a Firebird not the epitome of a control driver? I personally power up on a Drone or hyzer a beefy Teebird, but that's not the discussion. What does the overstability of the mold have to do with the "class of frisbee" a disc is categorized as?

Something about being small, having small hands, and not generating power...

I'm 140 soaking wet, wear adult S, don't have large hands. A dozen or more people on this site have seen my crush a Cannon before...to each their own I guess?

Last edited:
Bruh. The current day term for control driver IS the 9/10 speed range. Run of the mill fairway is Leopard or Stalker slow class at 6, and Teebird at 7 (1.6-1.8 rim width roughly). Valkyrie, Firebird, OLF, PD, Thunderbird, Volt, Orc, Bandit, etc etc in the 1.9-2.0 class is completely reasonable for the control category. The only category beyond it is distance driver and those go usually 2.1-2.5 (Wraith-Katana or Cannon)...you could argue 2.1 fits into control but is a Wraith really not a distance driver? If the Surge is a 2.2 rim and the Wraith is 2.1 where do you draw the line...2.0?

I digress.

I'm 140 soaking wet, wear adult S, don't have large hands. A dozen or more people on this site have seen my crush a Cannon before...to each their own I guess?

I use a Destroyer, 2 champion one is 167 grams other is 170 grams as looking at the Star there were confusing as one was big dome the other was low dome, i found the Champion are more low dome and use less power to get going but I can barely use that. I draw the line at slower speed 12 discs for me. Thinking about it I should be using a speed 11 disc or possibly a neutral flight 12 at most.

I also have thought about getting a Archon to use as a faster Valkyrie. I just do not have the power for the speed 12 discs and I throw a Valkyrie low so I can throw a Valkyrie into the wind. I bet I could do the same with a Archon.

I am 107-110 pounds and 110 pounds only on a hevy day then I am 5 foot S inches, crappy arm span that is smaller then it should be. So I am even smaller then you. Yes that small. I also know a player that does not use a high speed driver as he finds the discs impossible to control, his fastest disc is a speed 11 Wraith, at least it used to be.