• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] So you throw "control" drivers?

Agreed, I'd cut max d drivers and maybe even mids before control drivers.

My Nutsac that I travel with has an Ahti/Stag/Bard/Swan2 in it right now and as much as I love my longer discs, I don't score much worse(if at all) without them.

I'd feel pretty comfortable with that setup. Good things usually happen when I throw a Stag and/or Ahti.

I throw lots of putters and mids. Then I step up to control drivers--Firebirds, OLFs, Roadrunners. I'd rather get really good and comfortable with a few molds (powered up and down, across all sorts of likens and conditions) than try to parse which drivers go which distances with too fine a point. Even when I had the step-ups as Roc --> Gazelle --> OLF, it all felt a little crowded. So I dropped Gazelles.

Noawadays, if I can't get a roc there, it is a control driver. Almost always an OLF, but the others have their more-specific places. If I can sacrifice control because the extra 25"+ will give me a shot at actually shaving a stroke, I'll pull out a Destroyer. But my assumption is always: If I can't reach with a Roc, it is one of my OLFs.

If I threw controlled distance drivers over 400', maybe the separation would start to make more sense. But at my power, which is plenty serviceable, I'd rather limit choices and gain more practice with each of my molds.

Last edited:
I use a Destroyer, 2 champion one is 167 grams other is 170 grams as looking at the Star there were confusing as one was big dome the other was low dome, i found the Champion are more low dome and use less power to get going but I can barely use that. I draw the line at slower speed 12 discs for me. Thinking about it I should be using a speed 11 disc or possibly a neutral flight 12 at most.

I also have thought about getting a Archon to use as a faster Valkyrie. I just do not have the power for the speed 12 discs and I throw a Valkyrie low so I can throw a Valkyrie into the wind. I bet I could do the same with a Archon.

I am 107-110 pounds and 110 pounds only on a hevy day then I am 5 foot S inches, crappy arm span that is smaller then it should be. So I am even smaller then you. Yes that small. I also know a player that does not use a high speed driver as he finds the discs impossible to control, his fastest disc is a speed 11 Wraith, at least it used to be.

I have three Archons: Blizzard, Champion, and Star. The BliZ is too flippy, but the Champ is fine. I really love the Star Archon. I may yet put it back in my bag because (like the SL) I just have fun throwing it, and per Steady Ed Headrick, that's the point, isn't it?

I have three Archons: Blizzard, Champion, and Star. The BliZ is too flippy, but the Champ is fine. I really love the Star Archon. I may yet put it back in my bag because (like the SL) I just have fun throwing it, and per Steady Ed Headrick, that's the point, isn't it?

Yep that is the point, I like most of my setup except possibly the heaver 170 gram Destroyer. I want a lighter Champion Destroyer but the weight I want 166-167 grams, my lower speed disc is a 167 gram, is hard to come by but I should look for one that is a lower dome that I like. Lower dome means less power in the initial throw for most Max Distance discs and control drivers so I can do more throws rather then one big max throw for power. Need to look for a lower dome Champion Destroyer at 166-167 grams, 178 grams would be okay too. I have never liked high dome in a Valkyrie, even the Star no even if that makes the disc a bit more beefy. XL is the only driver disc, fairway driver I have used that I prefer to use a mid dome or higher. Odd thing is my ESP XL is a mid dome to flat something less common with that disc. SL is the Star Leopard right or is that the one Millennium Disc like A odd Leopard?

>Do you bag control drivers? Why or why not?

Yeah, I bag two Thunderbirds,a lighter Saint Pro, and sometimes a Saint.

The Thunderbirds will get me down the fairway without the possibility of fading to far or skipping too much. It's an easy 350-385. If I'm not having a good day throwing, if the footing isn't great, if the fairway is narrow, if there is danger deep, I'll throw a control driver.

After the first round in over a month and then a lot of field throwing after I think I've come to the realization that I need to stick to the speed 9/10 range. It felt like my throws were taking a lot of effort and not really going where I felt they should. Kinda frustrated I walked up nice and easy, tossed a couple rocs that got out to 300 no problem. Only difference was my grip was 100% loose up until it snapped out of my hand...never really notice how a tensed up arm was holding me back, more like I never realized how tense it actually was.

Immediately drivers felt a lot better, but the point is, anything into maybe the speed 11 range and up was just enough rim width where subciously I was wanting to tighten up on it mid throw. That might be my brain thinking I have to hammer it, or it might just be me thinking I'm going to lose physical grip because of the wide rim, who knows. I think arm speed wise I can throw faster stuff, but I think overall there's minimal added distance with a whole lot more margin for error. Kinda funny though because in maybe the 7-8 longest throws out of the 20-25 in each group a couple of those longest throws were teebirds.

^^I'm coming to a similar conclusion and have taken Wraiths out of the bag for now. Going with PDs as my highest speed.

I've also found that my tired old arm has better success with an FD than a PD towards the end of 2 rounds.

The new RDG Boa is pretty epic, PD lovers would like it.