• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

so,you want to learn how to putt in the wind?

I laugh every time I watch that video.

Reminds of a tourney here in Iowa. Tortoise shell greens + 30 to 40 mph winds = 100+ ft roll/fly aways.

Yeah, not a very wise decision to go for it in this case, just a hair of nose up is all it takes to turn into a total disaster. I remember playing in wind like this once, where even if the putter did fall in the basket, the wind would lift it back out and it would still end up 100' away.

Best option in this scenario is definitely to lay up...and probably not using a putter (too much lift/float to be safe), I would find a Teebird, Buzzz, or similar, flip it over, toss it low to the ground, and slide it up to the pin.

Still not as bad as Meri-Toppila. =)

I'd switch to upside down putting with the most overstable disc in my bag way before the wind got that bad...

Throw your putts completely flat, lower than normal into the wind and higher with the wind. Done....

…if & only if the plane of the wind is parallel to the plane of the playing surface for the entire flight of the disc (and that each is a uniform plane). Otherwise, as is the case with some frequency, a different strategy could be optimum.

Jesse B 707 said:
Throw your putts completely flat, lower than normal into the wind and higher with the wind. Done....

...and then the disc hits the chains, lifts the nose up by 0.000001 degrees, and the wind blows it 100' away, downwind. Forget it, this is a no-brainer lay up situation.

More wrist action to spin the disc faster. He made a low power attempt and ended up with so little spin that the disc wobbled allowing the wind to raise the disc and exposing the bottom of the disc to the wind. It never had a chance. Flat shots at speed with a lot of spin. Meri-Toppila as seen on Youtube channel lcgm8 in Finnish Open 2010 had some interesting winds and putter action. Including the disc being stopped by the pole and blown off faaaar. Another on film guy putted with a Firebird. I saw two guys warming up with a used XXX that flipped in throwing catch. Short range because you can't safely throw that disc and catch it. Too thin and hard.

I read somewhere that he had already layed up to that spot. Guess you gotta lay up twice sometimes.

phisherman77 said:
I think the guy putting in that vid is a KC local, Jay Cram.

It's Crammnation for sure.

This is what a buddy told me. Jay was going for an eagle 3 on that hole from 35' out into that headwind. He threw is putt nose down and the it landed about 15' short. His 4th shot was, well, you saw.

jubuttib said:
Still not as bad as Meri-Toppila. =)

I'd switch to upside down putting with the most overstable disc in my bag way before the wind got that bad...

this guy?

I don't recall exactly what the rating of Jussi was at that time but it was something like 1025. It is one of the classic F me moments in disc golf when you watch Jussi putting in the following video starting from 5 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-6nmsbUZrc&feature=plcp&context=C4b0524fVDvjVQa1PpcFMMMb-NpIglYkeUXBeNi667u6rG4Pq1NKU%3D

It was no joke and wonder that Teemu was rooting for a two meter putt he made and yelling YES! for each putt that stuck. It was no wonder that the local Juho put in the disc that was probably a Firebird. He putted with one the whole round. I've encountered worse winds only twice in my 10 years of continuous disc golf. The weather was shit really. After that hole the players said that is there any point in competing in conditions like that? I hear and feel them. You had to be there.

The video looks bad but the wind was even worse. I was like this is a total shit weather to film because it is stupid to be out in this kind of weather and at that point i was soooo beyond the point of feeling bad for the players because mentally i was far worse than i'm glad i don't have to compete in winds like these. I was jaded at that point because the wind just kept on getting worse and worse the closer we got to the shore. And the point of ridiculousness was crossed some holes before. People could have rolled dice for results just as well. Had there not been an image of professionalism and sportmanship plus rules to uphold. The fact that these guys finished the round speaks multiple volumes about them. Respect to the power of ten!

Stupid to be out? Roll dice for results? Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. Yes it was windy, but that truly separated those who can play in a wind. There's no random there, it's skill and experience in playing in windy conditions, which was apparent from the local guys' scores which weren't that much worse than previous day's scores. Some people are just fair weather players, never going out when it's even slightly breezy, and then they get whiny when it's windy on a tournament day. Meri-Toppila is often a very windy place to play, and I find it part of the course experience. When it was dead calm on Saturday I was even worried if all the people that came here don't get to see the true Meri-Toppila, but then Sunday delivered.

In the "Tuulinen päivä Meri-Toppilassa"-video that wind actually fell trees on the course. That day it wasn't really smart to play, because it was dangerous.

And to the question in the topic, if you want to learn how to putt in the wind, go out when it's windy and practice putts. It might be frustrating at first, but next time you're playing a tournament in windy conditions it will pay off. Or move to live in a windy place so you have to putt in the wind more often than not :) Living here in Oulu I have seen worse winds (and played in them) many many times.

vto said:
Stupid to be out? Roll dice for results? Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. Yes it was windy, but that truly separated those who can play in a wind. There's no random there, it's skill and experience in playing in windy conditions, which was apparent from the local guys' scores which weren't that much worse than previous day's scores. Some people are just fair weather players, never going out when it's even slightly breezy, and then they get whiny when it's windy on a tournament day. Meri-Toppila is often a very windy place to play, and I find it part of the course experience. When it was dead calm on Saturday I was even worried if all the people that came here don't get to see the true Meri-Toppila, but then Sunday delivered.

In the "Tuulinen päivä Meri-Toppilassa"-video that wind actually fell trees on the course. That day it wasn't really smart to play, because it was dangerous.

And to the question in the topic, if you want to learn how to putt in the wind, go out when it's windy and practice putts. It might be frustrating at first, but next time you're playing a tournament in windy conditions it will pay off. Or move to live in a windy place so you have to putt in the wind more often than not :) Living here in Oulu I have seen worse winds (and played in them) many many times.

VTO lives in the city where the footage was filmed and at that time it was really that bad. Like i said i have played in worse conditions and trees did fall down. Sport, results and the spirit of sportmanship wise the conditions were stupid when the guys got to the shore. I don't know where you were at the time these guys got to the shore. The other side of the course was shielded from the wind to a large extent so that may explain the difference in the experience we had. Yes i know that Meri-Toppila experiences that kind of winds often because other locals told me so but were you at the shore at the time of these guys playing it? The winds got stiffer and stiffer when we neared that hole. The next hole was ravaged by the winds too but the further along in time and distance we got from the sea the easier the winds became. So we may not be comparing apples to oranges and vice versa. When the locals pull Firebirds for putts i call it not even and fair, not to mention sane, conditions for everyone. Especially for a guy manufacturing discs. YMMV. He may have had other agendas than minimizing the score. That is why lcgm8 did cut a previous day skill demonstration from Jussi into the video. It is not like Jussi does not know how to putt even in howling winds. He may have been acting according to other non playing related agendas in that video. You'd have to ask him to know for sure what he was thinking about and why he did not switch to beefier discs or putt upside down.