• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Soquel, CA park threatened by "flying circular razor blades"

The park is 96 acres. How much of that would be occupied by the course? I love nature, and birding as well, so I can see the other side.

Fine reading, especially the comments.

Just how much of this 96-acre park was a 9-hole intermediate course going to use?

I had to look it up - Not In My BackYard

Well written article; I almost agree with the naysayers.

Are there yet discs named the Razor and Blade? :rolleyes:

I faced off with the same type of NIMBYs in Seattle in the early '90s over mt. bike trails. The blatant exaggerations and lies were amazing from what you'd normally consider level-headed people.

Last edited:
tumblr_m9h5844aDg1qzt7d8o1_500.gif

If the environmental causes brought up in the meeting held any merit, then drastic changes would need to be put in place to protect those species, which would not be consistent with the current uses of the park. Disc golf and other recreational uses are. Any impacts such as soil compaction and trampling can be easily mitigated with smart planning. Even social impacts can mitigated, such as designated days without disc golf, etc.*

With any civic discourse, websites, and talking loudly doesn't make your side right.*
Hopefully once this proposal is in the hands of real land planners, the emotion of this argument will be reasoned and a beneficial outcome for all parties will prevail.*

The "player tracks on 360' hole" is interesting. It includes throws behind the tee, and throws almost 200' at straight right or left off the tee. I've seen some incredibly bad shots in my life, including some of my own, but this is curious.

Apparently they lifted it from Steve West's experiment using Boy Scouts. You think that's a fair representation of disc golfers?

I think those patterns are pretty accurate.

From what I've seen at my home course, many shots can be 100-200 feet off target. Although I'm not too sure about the pattern behind the teepad. I've never seen anybody throw behind the tee before.

I can see that happening on a park with no landscape contractor, but my course is green grass and you can't tell there's two courses there except for the baskets, which most people never even notice.

From what I've seen at my home course, many shots can be 100-200 feet off target. Although I'm not too sure about the pattern behind the teepad. I've never seen anybody throw behind the tee before.

I hate to say it, but my girlfriend actually grip-locked a drive and it went behind the teepad, good for me,though, she doesn't frequent these forums. :D

Back on topic, I've been through this exact same thing 5 years ago when we were trying to get a course installed in Sequim, Wa. Without going into too much detail and making a short story long, there was NO limit to the level of lies, mis-information and anti-DG propaganda that the opposition was willing to stoop to, to make sure the course didn't infringe IN ANY WAY on their 200 acre dog walking and horse riding park. If you're lucky, you may be able to come to some kind of compromise, but some people are just unreasonable sometimes. The county commissioners caved in an election year ( they were being threatened with their jobs, no joke) and the course was nixed. :wall:

There was an entertaining and eerily similar thread running a few months ago, about a park in New Jersey I think. I haven't been to either park and obviously don't know how appropriate courses would be there, but the opponents are so over-the-top that I have trouble believing they're right.

Does anyone here actually believe that any group who wants something THEIR way will ever tell the truth?

Only time I've ever seen behind the tee is due to wind carrying a drive backwards. But the speed on the at that point is much lower, and the disc is usually nearly vertical by that point.

I was in Soquel today, it is about 45 minutes from where I live, it is adjacent to Santa Cruz where Delaveaga is, one of the oldest and most famous disc golf courses in the world. Soquel is actually a relatively small enclave of some affluence in the broader Santa Cruz area, which is largely populated by youth that look like they are perpetually unemployed and stoned, so not a big surprise that Soquel would prefer the disc golfers stay over at Delaveaga. Santa Cruz is slacker central, it goes back decades as that is where surfing was pioneered with Jack O'neill moving there soon after creating O'neill wetsuits.