• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Carolina

bjfergus21

I may be relocating to Myrtle Beach/Conway area of South Carolina. Obviously it's a ball golf location, but are there any course within a decent drive that I should play? I lived in Charlotte the last year and it was a great disc golf location. I am hoping for similar luck in South Carolina if I happen to move out there.

Well, you probably won't have much luck with good courses near Myrtle Beach. Socastee Rec. Park is the best one I've played while on vacation there, and it's not even finished yet. It looks very promising so far, but teepads haven't been installed and the entire course is covered in spider webs.

East Bay Park is also fairly close (at least, it's close to where I always stay, if you're staying on the Grand Strand then I'm not sure). This one is pretty much only useful if you just need to get out and throw a disc, the layout isn't very impressive and the mosquitoes are vicious.

Also, if you don't mind paying to play, and you want to play when it's a bit cooler out, then you might try Tupelo Bay. I haven't played this one, but it seems to be a decent place to get a round in, if you don't get golfers yelling at you for playing frisbee on the course.

Myrtle Beach really doesn't have much to offer for disc golf, but at least it's not totally devoid of courses. Also, I've read about leagues going on at Loris Nature Park, which is about 30-40 minutes away, so if you don't mind driving that's still an option. Last but not least, check out theMyrtle Beach Disc Golf facebook page.

Well, you probably won't have much luck with good courses near Myrtle Beach. Socastee Rec. Park is the best one I've played while on vacation there, and it's not even finished yet. It looks very promising so far, but teepads haven't been installed and the entire course is covered in spider webs.

East Bay Park is also fairly close (at least, it's close to where I always stay, if you're staying on the Grand Strand then I'm not sure). This one is pretty much only useful if you just need to get out and throw a disc, the layout isn't very impressive and the mosquitoes are vicious.

Also, if you don't mind paying to play, and you want to play when it's a bit cooler out, then you might try Tupelo Bay. I haven't played this one, but it seems to be a decent place to get a round in, if you don't get golfers yelling at you for playing frisbee on the course.

Myrtle Beach really doesn't have much to offer for disc golf, but at least it's not totally devoid of courses. Also, I've read about leagues going on at Loris Nature Park, which is about 30-40 minutes away, so if you don't mind driving that's still an option. Last but not least, check out theMyrtle Beach Disc Golf facebook page.

images

I played Tupelo last year on vacation, and didn't have a problem with anyone yelling at me. They looked at me funny once or twice, but nobody ever yelled about playing Frisbee on a golf course. Just stay off the greens;)
That said, the course is pretty boring. It's fun if you need something to do on that end of the Strand in the evening, since it's lit and you can play until 10 or so, but it's pay to play and the fee they charge just isn't worth what you get.

Socastee and Loris are your best bets in Myrtle. There's a course on campus at Coastal Carolina, but judging from the reviews here it isn't much of a course.

Socastee and Loris are your best bets in Myrtle. There's a course on campus at Coastal Carolina, but judging from the reviews here it isn't much of a course.

Definatly not....just a putter course. literally can jump putt some holes

Yeah, for some reason my job search ends with interviews in South Carolina right now. I think along with maybe moving to Myrtle, Charleston sounds like a real possibility. I know there are more disc golf courses there. Where to play in Charleston?

Charleston has one great, pay-to-play course----Trophy Lakes. A couple of smaller courses. And a very active disc golf club scene.

Both places have beaches but Charleston has a lot more than beaches. Not sure what you're looking for beyond employment and disc golf, but Charleston offers a lot more.