• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Dakota, Diamond X, and Yellowstone

DSCJNKY

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Hello DGCR Friends,
I am going to be going to South Dakota (Custer State Park) next week for a business trip. I plan to play in Rapid City during the business portion of my trip, and will be heading to Diamond X and Yellowstone for a few days following the conference.

I'd love to meet up with a guide at any courses along my route:
DGRoadTripMap.jpg

I'm not going to be able to bring any "equipment" with me... so, I'd love to play with a local who has some to share. ;)

DSCJNKY

^It's looking like Saturday the 10th of September.
Thanks for the offer... I hope you're in town!
DSCJNKY

^In yellowstone, you should play George Anderson DGC. It's the best course in the area. Old Faithful has a course but it is a secret and the locals are generally reluctant to guide you around on it (its all object). At George Anderson, there are usually one or two friendly employees around to show you the course. Their annual tournament is coming up so lots of people playing...however, don't expect much in the way of borrowing discs. You will see a lot of bosses and grooves if you know what I'm sayin.

In Billings, there is a store called Base Camp; go there if you want to grab some equipment before you head out.

I can provide you with a hole by hole description of George Anderson if you just want to play it on your own, PM me if you are interested.

^Danger....
Is that the best way to enter Yellowstone? Is that where the best stuff is? (i.e. geysers, grizzlys, wolves, bison, elk, etc...). I know it's a huge park that's in 3 states... don't know which state is the best to access from.

Thanks for the info.
DSCJNKY

From Billings, you should go over the Beartooth Highway, and enter the park at the North East Entrance. from there, go through Canyon, and around the loop to Old Faithful. Lake area is a good place to stay if you are spending a few nights in the park...because it is about an hour from every local attraction. There are many other 'villages' in the park but Lake is the most central, and the quietest at night. And it also has chains ;)

Ah... but, I don't have that many days... I, like the rest of the "Tourons", only have 1/2 a day to a day (depending on travel time) in Yellowstone -- bummer, I know. So, what I should really do when I get there is sit on a rock and cry -- I know.

So, now that you know that, what do you think would be best?

Thanks,
DSCJNKY (aka "Touron")

Dsc, what exactly is your timeframe? (between billings and your next destination after ynp)

@ Danger...
I plan to play Diamond X on Saturday morning and then roll to Yellowstone for the rest of that day and most of the day Sunday. I'm flying back out of Rapid City SD on Monday morning.

Not enough time I know.
DSCJNKY

^ On that time frame, you won't be able to do much. First of all, in that area, you have to add 15-20 minutes on top of each hour google 'thinks' it will take you. Driving around up there is extremely time consuming.

Diamond X can easily take you all day, so depending on if you just play 1 18 hole loop, or if you have guides, or if you take your time, can really determine what time you leave Billings. Billings to Yellowstone is (if I remember right) 4 or 5 hours away minimum.

Once you are in the park (check out a map), the roads roughly follow a figure 8 pattern. The points of interest are all roughly 45 minutes to an hour apart. If you have never been to the park, you might as well check out Old Faithful and a few of the thermal features around there. If you take Beartooth Highway in from Billings, you will pass through Lamar Valley as soon as you enter the park, and that is a premier location to see wild animals. After that, complete the loop counter clockwise to Old Faithful and check all that out. Spend the night in Old Faithful, Grant Village or Lake Village, and the next day you can complete the loop by driving along the lake, and check out the dg course there if you want. It's easy to get to Cody, WY from there (89 miles 2 hours), which will have you on the fast track back to SD. If you have time that day, you can head north of lake a little bit to Hayden Valley, which is the other big wildlife viewing area, then head back to lake to get to Cody. That's about the best whirlwind trip of Yellowstone I can think of.

Just if your wondering:
Mammoth Hot Springs is cool, but kind of out of the way and ultimately skippable. It DOES have one of the few places you can soak in thermal water though, if that's what your looking for.

Canyon: That's where Yellowstone Falls is. Totally a Griswold Family photo opp, but not much else.

Norris / Madison: Basically drive right through, they are more road intersections than anything else. One has a geyser basin but there are so many more in the park that you can basically skip these.

Grant Village: A few lakeside thermal features, but really no geysers.

Lake Area: A marina and a hotel, some cool thermal features nearby.

Old Faithful: Where they geyser is, as well as many other geysers and hot pots. There is a section of river here that you can go into that is thermally heated and kinda cool.

I miss Yellowstone :)

Last edited:
So,

Saturday:
Diamond X
Drive to Yellowstone
Lamar Valley
Drive to Old Faithful
Maybe see some geysers
Sleep

Sunday:
Geysers around Old Faithful
Drive to Lake
Play DG
Hayden Valley maybe
Dragons Mouth thermal feature maybe
Drive to SC.

Danger... You're the man... Thanks for all the info.
I know you worked there... so, I thank you for all your help.

4.5 hours... damn Google only said it would be 3.
Better start planning better!
DSCJNKY

Your welcome! If you need anymore help, let me know. I like helping!

This is the most scenic and 2nd most direct way to OF from Billings:
Google Map

Somebody guide this man, he's cooler than the other side of the pillow.

I just spent a 2 week vacation driving from Chicago to the Black Hills to Billings to Yellowstone to Grand Tetons and back home. Unless you plan to be back in that area minimize the DG (but do play Diamond X!) and maximize the sight-seeing.

Do Badlands, My Rushmore (I was not prepared to be impressed, but I was), Devils Tower, spend some time of solitude in beautiful spots (NE entrance from Billings to YS has some very cool areas). I really enjoyed the Grand Tetons.....much more so than YS. I think it is worth the extra few hours of driving - just south of Yellowstone.

Dave, I totally agree that the Tetons are the most beautiful part of that region (minus perhaps beartooth), especially from a driving perspective. Yellowstone is a whole lot of driving through trees, where as in the Tetons, you get lots of really great vistas. Based on dscjnkys time allotment though, I saw the drive down there (3 hours each way) time prohibitive. I also agree that the emphasis should be exploring the area...its called Big Sky Country for a reason...and I LOVE it!

The course in Lake area is definitely one you can skip for sightseeing, but it has some really great views, fun shots, and its IN the National Park which is just kinda cool to me. It can be played with a guide in about an hour.

Based on dscjnkys time allotment though, I saw the drive down there (3 hours each way) time prohibitive.

From Old Faithful to Jenny Lake (Tetons) is ~75 miles so about 2 hours (averaging 35-40mph is do-able since there are not too many bison traffic jams and it is not mountainous/curvy....like lots of other areas are).

IMO it is a great way to spend half a day or so seeing stuff that IMO is more spectacular than can be seen on the rest of the planned trip. But you are right - it is certainly a time commitment in a compressed schedule.

Thanks for all the help everybody... That's what DGCR is all about!
DSCJNKY