• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

specs and rules to move DG from kids game to pro sport

michael bacon

Randy Michael Signor and others before him think we need smaller baskets to move us into sports world. Currently disc golf is a game and not a sport. I think we could look at baskets like the Gateway Bullseye Basket. I also think baskets should be set at the height of the strike zone in baseball. Consistency. Which leads us to the human factor which exists in most sports but not in the game of DG. I stand 6 feet tall which is 2 yards not 2 meters. Measured from center of my chest to tip of fingers when arm is stretched out parallel to floor is one yard not one meter. It is one yard measured from my foot heal to my hip. And my foot is a foot long with shoes on. Metric measurements were institutionalized to attract world players who currently use United States Standard Measurement when playing ball golf. DG holes and courses are measured in feet and yards. Which is one reason I was always against the 2 meter rule (I have other reasons also). I believe if we have a disc bag limit and smaller baskets like the bullseye basket with consistent height measurements, as well as the elimination of the jump putt we could move in the direction of a respectable sport. 72 par courses not 54 par's with at least white and blue tee boxes. Also pros support their tournaments without siphoning money from amateurs. Jump putts were illegal with everyone I played with for at least a decade until the PDGA allowed it. Your feet should be on ground when disc is released.

Last edited:
troll-meme.png

To summarize-

Smaller Baskets
Different (fixed) Height
Imperial Measurement only
Limit on number of discs carried
No jump puts
Feet on ground when disc is released (always, or putts only?)
Pros support "their" tournaments
Par 72 courses with at least two tee pads

Seems simple enough. Not...

Do you even like DG the way it is??

I stand 6 feet tall which is 2 yards not 2 meters. Measured from center of my chest to tip of fingers when arm is stretched out parallel to floor is one yard not one meter. It is one yard measured from my foot heal to my hip. And my foot is a foot long with shoes on. .

i feel like i really know you now

Chains go 1 foot into the ground, you must hole out.

Smaller targets up top.

Limited discs in bags (13).

My 02

I just realized the OP is the same guy that posted this gem:

P.D.G.A. is allowing manufacturers to run the show. Players want disc limits at tournaments like real golf but won't happen. Innova makes 2 piece discs which should be illegal. And the organization should be in the Pacific NW where real Folf is played not this kids sport called disc golf since it is not golf when you allow addressing the disc like a drunken monkey ie: jump which is not a putt shot. I personally started playing in 1965 in Gibson Park in Great Falls MT. On a real course designed by me that emulated real golf. All these so called pro designed disc golf course discriminate against left hand and side arm shooters except Milo Mcgiver park in Estacada OR which was designed by people who actually listened to me.

I read Randy's article in Discgolfer and basically said, "Meh."

I think I'm kind of past the whole "grow the game" phase. Let's just keep throwing plastic at metal cages. Whatever happens will happen.

Last edited:
Let the big guns throw far. Monster drives are the most spectator friendly part of the game. It's what makes experienced players stand in awe of the best, and it's what makes "outsiders" stop and watch in awe.

Everything else is minor in comparison.

I think I'm kind of past the whole "grow the game" phase. Let's just keep throwing plastic at metal cages. Whatever happens will happen.

Also this.

While I agree baskets should be smaller, I can't imagine de-standerizing every basket on the planet used in PDGA events is going to happen. Beyond the costs of it, the parks will view it as unnecesary work.

On a more serious note - I agree with the sentiment. However I disagree that all games are meant to become sports. Disc golf is probably not destined to become a mainstream "sport".

Randy Michael Signor and others before him think we need smaller baskets to move us into sports world. Currently disc golf is a game and not a sport. I think we could look at baskets like the Gateway Bullseye Basket. I also think baskets should be set at the height of the strike zone in baseball. Consistency. Which leads us to the human factor which exists in most sports but not in the game of DG. I stand 6 feet tall which is 2 yards not 2 meters. Measured from center of my chest to tip of fingers when arm is stretched out parallel to floor is one yard not one meter. It is one yard measured from my foot heal to my hip. And my foot is a foot long with shoes on. Metric measurements were institutionalized to attract world players who currently use United States Standard Measurement when playing ball golf. DG holes and courses are measured in feet and yards. Which is one reason I was always against the 2 meter rule (I have other reasons also). I believe if we have a disc bag limit and smaller baskets like the bullseye basket with consistent height measurements, as well as the elimination of the jump putt we could move in the direction of a respectable sport. 72 par courses not 54 par's with at least white and blue tee boxes. Also pros support their tournaments without siphoning money from amateurs. Jump putts were illegal with everyone I played with for at least a decade until the PDGA allowed it. Your feet should be on ground when disc is released.
Two thoughts come to mind when I read this.

1. We really need to be beefing up efforts in schools about how to use paragraphs.
2. No matter how much concrete evidence you give some folks about why disc golf, its rules, its equipment, its culture is in the state that it is, (and that such its really a good thing for the great majority of us), some folks will just keep plodding along with these same tired arguments, over and over and over, as if they say it at the right time, on the right day, it will be accepted as gospel truth. Never mind the fact that it hasn't worked the 10,000 previous times such was stated.

So I guess were going to mull this same crap over again for time #10,001.

While I agree baskets should be smaller, I can't imagine de-standerizing every basket on the planet used in PDGA events is going to happen. Beyond the costs of it, the parks will view it as unnecesary work.
And 95% of the people who use those courses don't want such changes made.

I guess I have a question...are you just going to come here and flame out, or are you actually interested in an actual conversation?

Jump putts were illegal with everyone I played with for at least a decade until the PDGA allowed it. Your feet should be on ground when disc is released.

I'm going to have to agree with Scarpfish.. some use of paragraphs would help the coherency of your arguments.

As for "jump putts", you seem to be saying that you don't like the "walking putt". For reference, the walking putt involves having one foot hovering in the air beyond your marker, and it doesn't hit the ground until after the moment of disc release. Does this mean you don't have an issue with the actual "jump putt", where both feet are on the ground at the moment of release, but the forward momentum of the putting motion subsequently shifts/launches your body forward? Also, why does having both feet on the ground matter at all? You don't have both feet on the tee pad when you release your drive..

Honestly, I don't understand the logic of about two thirds of your post at all. I mean, I see the words, but meaning eludes me.

Last edited:

This x1000. I personally could not care less if DG were ever considered a "serious sport". As long as there are courses to play, and cool folks to play with, who cares?

But what do I know? I'm just a casual player, looking to have fun. I support the game/sport by buying plastic and by encouraging new players to take it up for fun. If that eventually leads to a groundswell that "legitimizes" the game/sport I guess that would be ok.

The strikezone in baseball is different for each person depending on their height. Are you going to have baskets that adjust their size?
So much for consistency

Latest posts