• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin putters. Being consistent.

JonathanXz

Bogey Member
I'm pretty new compared to most. I've so many videos from KC, Niko, Dave and Avery about push/pitch putting. How to keep it conistent but I can't find anything from the spin putters.

I pretty sure Nate and Rico spin putt but I wish there was some sort of in depth video on their technique.

I've tried the pitch putt but I always go back to spin putting, it just feels so much more natural to me.

Do any of you spin putters out there have tips on technique. Tips on remaining consistent?

Thanks!

The best way to build consistency is to practice, a lot.

Other than that:
*Line up belt buckle to your sternum with the center of the basket and release the disc on that line.
*Aim high, at least give the disc a chance to get in the basket.
*Slight hyzer can help

I am by no means an excellent putter so take this for what it's worth. Other good spin putters are Jussi Meresmaa (sp?) and Eric McCabe. Jussi is part of the Discmania Deep in the Game series, so find the one for putting, and just look up tourny footage on EMac.

Good luck!

Last edited:
From McCabe himself, I'd say this is the best way to become consistent and stay that way. (Streets said it too)

That video was ridiculous when it came out. I was like "That's why he is so much better than me!"

I was very humbled as well. As Ulibarri said in the Discraft distance video..."Better get better!"

I'm not the best putter by any means but I would consider it the stronger part of my game. What helps me the best is to always extend my arm from the core of my body in a straight line to the basket. No side to side action. If you watch nikko or doss or any other consistent putter, they all release from the core or center part of their body. Hope that helps!?
-I'm also a spin putter.;)

I'm a spin putter as well. Here are a few things that I have been taught by a couple of the best:

- Don't break your wrist - By this I mean when you release the disc, your hand should never open past the line that your forearm makes. Once your hand opens up and hits the point that it is in a straight line from your elbow to your finger-tip; stop.

- Rhythm - One of the keys to spin putting well, especially at longer distances is keeping your whole body in rhythm. Allow your body to rock back on to your back foot, then shifting that weight forward with the exact same timing and rhythm as your arm moving towards your target. When you find yourself missing putts, it is sometimes a good idea to slow everything down, to find your rhythm again.

- Adjustments - If you find yourself consistently missing to either the left or right, the natural tendency for most of us is to adjust your aiming point. I was taught, that it is actually easier to adjust your starting point, rather than your ending point. By starting point I mean the point in your technique when the disc is starting. For me this in near my belt buckle. By ending point, I mean the point where you are releasing the disc. If I find my self consistently missing to the right of my target, I will adjust the point at which I start my arm swing slightly more to the right, while leaving my release and aiming point the same. By doing so, I've adjusted the plane on which my putt will fly.

- Practice - tons and tons of practice. When you think you have practiced enough; practice some more. When your sick of practicing, make up a game and keep practicing.

I forgot to mention, if you are missing low; pick your chin up. Sounds weird, but it works. If you are missing high; slow everything down.

NOTICE HE DOES NOT ROCK HIS FRONT FOOT, HE KEEPS IT PLANTED.

I learned this same tip the other day from a badass Master's putter.

Most amateurs rock on the front foot (pick up the toe), well that is just one more moving part to screw you up. Keep that front foot down and "nut up" with your back foot.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

One other silly thing I always do now before I putt is grab my balls as I settle into my stance. Number one to remind myself that I still have them, and number two to remind myself to actually use them on this putt. Sorry ladies, this trick will not work for you.

Hahahaaaaaa, that may be a bit distracting.

Now maybe that would be a good reward for actually making the putt.

I've tried the pitch putt but I always go back to spin putting, it just feels so much more natural to me.

This is why you should spin putt. You should do whatever is most natural for you. I was always a pitch putter (still am predominately) but i tried some spin putting too, and kind of liked it. I found my "natural" toss was a slight combo of the 2. Once i started practicing "my natural putt" i started putting WAY better. Still a work in progress, but the most positive I've been about my putting since I started (always been the weakest part of my game)

My tips are simple and copy the other guy. Practice...practice...practice until you are bored, then practice again, make games to practice more. Repetition is the only way to get good at putting.

I forgot to mention, if you are missing low; pick your chin up. Sounds weird, but it works. If you are missing high; slow everything down.

I can attest to this as well, don't know how it works but it does.

Another thing I do is take a deep breath and let it out slowly while I'm lining up. It helps calm me down and steady myself. Not sure if this is just a personal tick but it works for me.

Ball grabs=more made putts :hfive:

All what's been said so far is good, I'll add a bit.

Routine- Set up a routine for yourself that you always do whether it's before the putt, or in the putt itself.

Keep that lead foot planted, most of your power should come from the back leg kicking up.

Spin putting is not all about spin, you also have to throw the putter at the basket, the spin is just there to make sure it goes straight.

Put a little anny the further you get, you'll notice in EMac's video he gives the slightest bit of anny, that way the putter will go straighter for longer and not start fading off.

Aim for the center of the chains, not the right. When i used to hyzer put I always aimed high left, but for the past year it's been dead middle of the basket. If you aim right, you have a chance to miss right, if you aim at the middle, you have better chance of hitting something.

Putt from your comfort range. Missing does not help! If you're not hitting 80% of your putts, move in another meter. You can always take a few steps back if it's getting too easy, but always start off closer to the basket than you think you should.

Never miss putts! I've said this before, but even in practice rounds you need to act like EVERY SINGLE putt matters. Doesn't matter if you're in the backyard with 20 putters, every putt matters, and missing practice putts is the best way to lower your confidence, and that's the exact opposite of what you want to do.

Go into each putt with the knowledge that you can make it. No matter if it's a 6 foot drop in, or a 30 foot at the edge of your range, confidence is key.

Try your hardest to put it in the chains, even if you run at it as hard as you can aslong as you hit metal you won't have a 30 foot comeback putt.

From McCabe himself, I'd say this is the best way to become consistent and stay that way. (Streets said it too)

He should have yelled "I won the black Ion!" at the end of that video. :)

I don't spin putt but I think the basic idea is the same as push putting in that push putting is all about eliminating the bias left or right (X axis) by moving the arm up and down (Y axis). Spin putting could remove the up and down bias, leaving you only with the right to left to worry about.

So if the goal of push putting is to move your arm on the Y axis (removing any X axis variation), you only have to focus on when to release the disc on that Y axis to nail the putts.

The spin putt is an X-axis putt with, ideally, no Y axis variation. So I'd practice doing that - putting with no Y axis variation (i.e. nailing your height every time), then once you can do that, work on timing the release so you can nail the X axis.

He should have yelled "I won the black Ion!" at the end of that video. :)

I don't spin putt but I think the basic idea is the same as push putting in that push putting is all about eliminating the bias left or right (X axis) by moving the arm up and down (Y axis). Spin putting could remove the up and down bias, leaving you only with the right to left to worry about.

So if the goal of push putting is to move your arm on the Y axis (removing any X axis variation), you only have to focus on when to release the disc on that Y axis to nail the putts.

The spin putt is an X-axis putt with, ideally, no Y axis variation. So I'd practice doing that - putting with no Y axis variation (i.e. nailing your height every time), then once you can do that, work on timing the release so you can nail the X axis.

Actually, this is not accurate. There is plenty of up and down movement in spin putting.

^Exactly, its just not as obvious. But I always make sure the disc stays on a Y axis from my navel to my sternum and release it straight from that zone.

NOTICE HE DOES NOT ROCK HIS FRONT FOOT, HE KEEPS IT PLANTED.

I learned this same tip the other day from a badass Master's putter.

Most amateurs rock on the front foot (pick up the toe), well that is just one more moving part to screw you up. Keep that front foot down and "nut up" with your back foot.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

One other silly thing I always do now before I putt is grab my balls as I settle into my stance. Number one to remind myself that I still have them, and number two to remind myself to actually use them on this putt. Sorry ladies, this trick will not work for you.

Ahahahaha, awesome