• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin putters. Being consistent.

You can also use your off-hand as a rear-stop in your pullback to give you a consistent starting point on your motion.

Also to kind of "guide" the disc on a straight plane forward from the reachback point.

When you are really close like 10-15', try throwing straight out of your solar plexus, actually touch your disc to your chest a bit.

My favorite pro to watch spin putt is MJ. Once I began to emulate his quick back and forward stroke, I became FAR more accurate with my spins. Keep everything North/South and find that line that is matched up with the point of your aim.
This is a terrific video of the final 9 of this year's worlds with MJ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZBbSH4n2dU
Hopefully, this will link to a generic YouTube search for MJ.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=michael+johansen+disc+golf&oq=michael+joha&gs_l=youtube.3.1.0l4.5194.9978.0.12237.12.9.0.3.3.0.232.1217.3j4j2.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.Sm5bWjPhWrI

I'm not the best putter by any means but I would consider it the stronger part of my game. What helps me the best is to always extend my arm from the core of my body in a straight line to the basket. No side to side action. If you watch nikko or doss or any other consistent putter, they all release from the core or center part of their body. Hope that helps!?
-I'm also a spin putter.;)

Nate Doss ain't really consistent nowadays on putting or so it seems. I'd go for McBeth who is probably the best spin putter out there with Anthon.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying Doss is not a good putter, but I wouldn't use him as a reference for spin putting

Also, Nikko is not really a true spin putter. He is more of a push hyzer type, although he puts a lot of spin at release it seems as his putter alsways seems to fly quite quitly in the middle of the basket...!

Nate Doss ain't really consistent nowadays on putting or so it seems. I'd go for McBeth who is probably the best spin putter out there with Anthon.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying Doss is not a good putter, but I wouldn't use him as a reference for spin putting

Also, Nikko is not really a true spin putter. He is more of a push hyzer type, although he puts a lot of spin at release it seems as his putter alsways seems to fly quite quitly in the middle of the basket...!

I put Nikko in the category with Avery and KC as a push putter, but he does put some spin on it. His stance is really unique, I've tried it, doesn't work for me ;)

Thanks for all of the replies folks!

Those were just examples off the top of my head. Spin or pitch putting, their still coming from the center of the body was all I was saying. Consistency in putting comes from core from what I've found.

Machines break down.....:)

I think I found a new type of Putt that really works for me.

What helped me was a vid I saw on YouTube that featured Dave dunipace of innova who putts with a snake strike motion (which is a quick but minimal wrist action). Anyways I adapted his style for my own uses and it really helped remembering to eject the disc from my hand and not let it wobble out. I recommend checking the vid out its not hard to find. Look up snake strike putt with Dave dunipace.

Someone on here, years ago, mentioned " shaking hands with the basket ".
To this day I use this advice, and it works good.
Your outstretched hand, upon releasing the disc, should reach directly toward the basket, like your shaking hands with it.

Putt from your chi site (just below stomach), from low to high in a quick motion that feels instantaneous. Try to have as few moving parts as possible, and practice to the point that your body does the work 100%. Keep your eyes on the pole and putt like it's going in. If you can't turn off your mind, reset your routine.

Figuring out what works for you is the key. and hours of practice is the only thing that shows you.

for me, it's about being able to putt every putt that comes my way. Spin, push, pitch, stradle etc...You never know 1) what you will encounter and 2) what is going to work that day. Everyday and every putt is unique. Better be prepared for the unknown.

After reading the 'turbo putt' thread I got to thinking about my putting styles. I will push putt 100% of the time within the 20-25 foot ring but outside of that I almost always spin putt. I carry an SS Voodoo for my push putts and an Anode for spin putts. For my spin putts I found that from about 20-35 feet I will shoot straight for the chains and outside of that throwing on a slight hyzer can almost be an easier shot to envision. Like everyone says, Consistency in footing, grip and what not makes a HUGE difference.

Figuring out what works for you is the key. and hours of practice is the only thing that shows you.

for me, it's about being able to putt every putt that comes my way. Spin, push, pitch, stradle etc...You never know 1) what you will encounter and 2) what is going to work that day. Everyday and every putt is unique. Better be prepared for the unknown.

This. I've been using Medium Opaque Ions for putting lately because they handle both push and spin putts equally well. Push putting for me is far more consistent in the 10-15ft range, but any further than that I put more spin on it. And while spin putting works amazingly well in headwind, I've found that a push/lob/spin put works the best with tail wind. I find myself practicing spin, lob, push, anhyzer, hyzer, straight, straddle, etc. Hell sometimes I get bored and try to do eyes-closed putts just to focus on my body movements rather than where I'm looking.

Latest posts