• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sponsorship changes

To guys like eMac, Jenkins, feldberg they are nearing masters so age is part of the reason for falling off I suppose. One player I was expecting to develop his game much more has been david wiggins but on the vids online I've seen he try's to throw way too many power shots even when not necessary instead of golf shots. #onetrickpony

I dont know, what is up with Feldberg the first few holes of the 2nd round video from the KCWO. Some of those upshots were pretty easy and he just looked terrible, later he was throwing as far as the rest of the card. I dont think it was discs or old age. He should be able to get closer than 50' on a wide open 100' upshot regardless of age or disc.

Age, personal issues, injuries all factor in into peoples games. Lets face it, some guys like Mcbeth and Wysocki are in the prime of their athelete lives. They stay in shape and constantly practicing their craft. This is a hard sport physically, when you want to play at the top level. Sure you can get by on talent and a few rounds of practice, but you will never win or be in contention unless your totally committed to the game. School, family, drugs, nagging injuries all play into it.

There's more than one definition of success or progression...McCabe seems to be extremely happy with what he's doing right now with DD.

There's more than one definition of success or progression...McCabe seems to be extremely happy with what he's doing right now with DD.
He's with a hometown company that took good care of him long before they made their own discs, and probably will have a role for him to play well into the future no matter how much his skills may drop off. I don't think that anything Discraft could offer can compete with that.

good thread... i think mcbeth even though he stayed with innova is a winner. the threat of moving to prodigy gave him leverage to work a pretty good deal. he's got his name on at least three innova discs.

good thread... i think mcbeth even though he stayed with innova is a winner. the threat of moving to prodigy gave him leverage to work a pretty good deal. he's got his name on at least three innova discs.

I think being amazing gave him a pretty good deal as well. I see your point but I think McBeth earned whatever sponsorship/promotion he is being given right now.

yeah he is a trooper. did prodigy ever offer him anything?

yeah he is a trooper. did prodigy ever offer him anything?
I would imagine that he was one of the main people Prodigy was targeting.

Seems like being the top dog at Innova is a MUCH better deal in the long run.

I know its rumored that the top pros that switched to Prodigy got some ownership in the company which definitely has the potential to pay off big time... but its very risky. Startups are inherently risky and 'ownership' is an easy/cheap commodity to give away in the beginning.

I'd rather not discuss anything Prodigy but it seems to me like Nikko is still having a pretty darn good year.

In my opinion, a few of the more notable Pros have not "slipped" or "regressed" as much as other Pros have just pushed the game past a place where the other Pros were thriving. Emac is still good. He did have health issues (Bad Back and Migraines) but his game is still pretty much the same. But it's four years since his win at 2010 Worlds and a lot has happened since then. The same is true of Avery; He's the same player he always was. Feldberg too. Their games are still solid, but they had issues evolving with the rapid landscape of the game. Feldberg has been consistently placing in top tens at Majors so I don't think it took him long to figure out what he needed to do. And I think if Avery concentrated more on competing than other ventures he would still be in the conversation. I think the evolution of the disc designs fit his game well.

The biggest changes in the game over the last five years, which have made a sort of optical illusion in the sport have been; McBeth changing his throwing speed and timing which has allowed him to completely master the game. Wysocki arrived with blinding ambition and talent. A few short years ago he lost badly to Wiggins at the Am Nats. Since then, he has crushed him in every event they have played together.

Lizotte found his coordination and overcame the "big game" jitters thus allowing him to break out.

Regarding Locastro. He doesn't seem as driven as he once was. He's still very focused and an incredible player, but he seems to have outside of the game issues which are getting in his way. He was not at the KCWO, which is a tournament he dominates.

Schusterick is a different animal. He was the first true Prodigy player in that his bag was solid Prodigy long before the other team members made the shift. He's working hard with what he has but like Locastro, I don't think it's his talent or the discs that are the issue. I think there are some outside pressures which have gotten in the way. He's a bad ass and I wouldn't count him out just yet. A statistical anomaly is to be expected with all great players from time to time.

Catrina and Paige are super driven and they pushed each other so quickly it's hard to imagine one without the other. This has pushed the Ladies side of the sport to the point that it's going to be hard to find casual women who want to win enough to push themselves that hard. Jessica Weese seems like a good strong candidate and I'm eager to see more of her in the coming years.

All of this progression has made the last wave of great talent seem like they've slipped but I would disagree. I think they are just as talented if not more talented. I just think that the game has evolved so quickly that they're having a hard time keeping up with the curve.

Barsby... Great player. He just didn't get the breaks he needed to stay on tour. That's unfortunate. He's a personality we desperately need in the sport. Him and Matty O.

Rating since Prodigy started existing:

Cale Leiviska:
18 dec 2012 - 1037
Now - 1029

Will Schusterick
18 dec 2012 - 1044
Now - 1034

Nikko Locastro
18 dec 2012 - 1037
Now - 1036

Ricky Wysocki
18 dec 2012 - 1041
Now - 1046

Paul Ulibarri
18 dec 2012 - 1029
Now - 1021

Jeremy Koling
18 dec 2012 - 1029
Now - 1027

Double G
November 2012 - 1035
Now - 1023

Downwards spiral? Except for Sockibomb..

Rating since Prodigy started existing:

Cale Leiviska:
18 dec 2012 - 1037
Now - 1029

Will Schusterick
18 dec 2012 - 1044
Now - 1034

Nikko Locastro
18 dec 2012 - 1037
Now - 1036

Ricky Wysocki
18 dec 2012 - 1041
Now - 1046

Paul Ulibarri
18 dec 2012 - 1029
Now - 1021

Jeremy Koling
18 dec 2012 - 1029
Now - 1027

Double G
November 2012 - 1035
Now - 1023

Downwards spiral? Except for Sockibomb..

I guess Prodigy was game changing. :popcorn:

Just taking a look at the Vibram Open NT field.

No Nikko, Simon or Avery (and Cale must still register by July 1).