• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Stag vs Culverin vs Convict

Sonormcneal

Par Member
can someone tell me roughly how these fly compared to each other? I feel like with the Stag's numbers and glide, it should be relatively the same. I'm looking to fill a more stable to OS fairway slot in the 8-9 spd range. I've also heard the Longbowmen is similar to the Culverin but is prob more OS. Or would it be too much overlap if i owned a Stag and one of the others?

Stag is nothing like the other two discs. Stag is understable. The other two are stable control drivers. Stag is a glidey fairway driver

I should have elaborated on the Culverin at least. A VIP Culverin is almost exactly like a champ thunderbird. I have gone back and forth between them and barely noticed a difference. I have not thrown the convict but heard its similar, my guess it is more stable.

From my experience (note, everything I bag is < speed 10, throw my fairways 300 ft consistently) the Stag has more turn (less HSS) than the others but still does finish strong, especially in heavier VIP. Pretty ridiculous glide on the Stag also, easy distance for sure and my second longest disc (behind the Northman). Longbowman is a killer mold for that stable to OS slot for me. In heavier VIP it is straight to slight left out of the hand (RHBH) with a consistent strong fade (similar to a Thunderbird for me). My VIP handles forehands nicely as well. Both FH and BH consistently 270 or so on a flat release, on a big hyzer this thing gets to work though and really opened up a slew of shots for me that I couldn't hit previously.. In TP I find it slightly different as I can get a consistent tight flex line and pick up about 25 extra feet out of it (this is with weights in the 167-171 range), but find it to be slightly less HSS but similar LSS. Have never thrown a Culverin, so I have no comparison there.

Culverin and Convict are both fairly stable, and don't show a ton of turn. The Stag is a glide master and less stable than the others. With a good pull I can get mine out to 400 with a gentle S curve.

The other two don't turn much with that power and fade a bit more.

Stag is nothing like the other two discs. Stag is understable. The other two are stable control drivers. Stag is a glidey fairway driver

do you know if it would be similar to the DD Escape then? i've heard they are a little under stable with crazy glide. almost like a longer River

do you know if it would be similar to the DD Escape then? i've heard they are a little under stable with crazy glide. almost like a longer River

Most Stags are just a tad shorter and more stable than an Escape. It's not a terrible comp though.

Stags are far from understable, but they do have some high speed turn. which i don't think is indicated in the flight numbers.

The Escape has more high speed turn and less fade than a Stag ime.

Threads like this make me question how I throw.
I find the culverin to be much close to a Felon in feel and flight. Which are both fairly PD like. The convict I love in that I am able to hyzerflip it to laser straight put to 360''+ but it can still fight out of an anny for some fun shots. I don't see the culverin and convict as being similar. Based on numbers and bagging those three Saint Saint pro and river i hadn't thought of picking up a Stag or a Longbowman figure it's just overlap.

I'll chime in on the discs I've thrown. The Convict is a more stable escape. Almost no turn, nice and straight with a reliable fade. The Longbowman is noticeably more OS than the Convict. The Longbowman has a very dumpy fade. Not quite a Felon or Firebird though.

can someone tell me roughly how these fly compared to each other? I feel like with the Stag's numbers and glide, it should be relatively the same. I'm looking to fill a more stable to OS fairway slot in the 8-9 spd range. I've also heard the Longbowmen is similar to the Culverin but is prob more OS. Or would it be too much overlap if i owned a Stag and one of the others?

I only have experience with a single TP Stag (174) like others have said it does have some high speed turn on a 300' throw for me. For me it flies similar lines to a fresh DX Eagle L but has more of a forward fade at the end. It also seems to be more effected by OAT than the Eagle L but requires less power and has a little better glide. Hope this helps.

Stags are far from understable, but they do have some high speed turn. which i don't think is indicated in the flight numbers.

The Escape has more high speed turn and less fade than a Stag ime.

I've thrown two 174 VIP Stags (bought 2 years apart from each other), and I'd say they were understable. Throwing them 375+: -2 turn / 1 fade. From the reviews on Infinite discs, many have had the same experience. Really wanted to like that disc for numbers and stamp...

I liked the Convict. Only have thrown a couple of the 2015 Amateur Worlds' Lucids. Flew closer to the numbers the Thief had, though: 8 speed, 0 turn, 2 fade. They feel chunky in the hand, kind of like Prodigy's H series.

As others have mentioned, the Stag has more turn and slightly less fade than indicated. Coupled with the excellent glide, Stags make excellent line-shaping fairway drivers that can bomb.

I find the Longbowman to be slower and more OS than the Culverin and Convict, more on the fairway side of the Control Driver fence.

Escapes are faster, longer and straighter finishing than Stags. In my cart, I use Escapes as Distance Drivers and Stags as Fairway Drivers with the Longbowman as a "split the speed difference" OS Control Driver. Works well...

The Convict is sounding kind of intriguing as that stable to overstable fast control driver. How much farther does it fly for you guys than a Firebird (not FAF) or Felon? Does it get similar to Thunderbird distance?

The Convict is sounding kind of intriguing as that stable to overstable fast control driver. How much farther does it fly for you guys than a Firebird (not FAF) or Felon? Does it get similar to Thunderbird distance?

More distance than a Firebird, Felon or Longbowman for me. For me personally, living at 7k feet, I find the Longbowman to be OS. Where the Convict is more Stable to OS. It will be hard for me to not add the Convict to my bag this summer. I could even consider only keeping my most US escapes and throwing the Convict as my workhorse driver.

More distance than a Firebird, Felon or Longbowman for me. For me personally, living at 7k feet, I find the Longbowman to be OS. Where the Convict is more Stable to OS. It will be hard for me to not add the Convict to my bag this summer. I could even consider only keeping my most US escapes and throwing the Convict as my workhorse driver.

Cool, that elevation thing is tricky and I'm throwing at 4.5K...really colors the opinions people share in addition to how far they throw and their OAT level, etc. I will definitely try one when I see it in someone's bag, Paige gets some really predictable flights out of them that still carry.

Ran into a local while he was filming his 2017 In the Bag video. He does this; works well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQFVLDLVQLc&t=330s

To me the Convict is significantly less OS than the Culverin. I bag Fury/Convict/Culverin and the Culverin has way more HSS and a good bit more HSS.