• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star SM Roc Pattern

Hole In Four

So I just noticed that Innova now carries the "Star SM Roc". Has anyone thrown these, and if so, does the flight patternvary at all from the DX or Pro Roc? And another question, what does the SM stand for?

any reason? I like mine. Took a while to get it broken in, but now it's pretty versatile. FH and OH recoveries, spike hyzers, shallow flex shots, scooby rollers.

I don't think I'd want to throw any of those shots with a Roc except for light flex shots.

ive got one and it has a place where it can be useful

Whats this??? People don't like the Star San Marino Roc's?? I figured more people would have been happier with Innova producing the Star Roc in the Rancho mold, but I wasn't aware that the Star SM Roc's sucked....

Whats the problem with them? How are they different from normal DX Rancho's?

They're not a Buzzz :eek:

Bingo, although I use DX Ranchos too...a few of them actually.

Here's the thing with the Star SM Roc, I see no significant glide in it, rendering it useless to me. If someone finds a reason to add one to their bag, so be it, a lot of people dislike the Gator, I love em.

Personal preference shines through, once more.

:thmbup:

I keep a Star SM Roc and a Star Rancho and an ESP Comet in my bag.
They all feel very similar in my hand with different levels of stability.
It's helping reduce my molds and increase my versatility.
The Star SM Roc will hold a line longer before it fades as opposed to the Star Rancho. The Comet will not fade or wait much longer.
When I need a mid-range to go 200 ft and fade, I use the Star SM Roc.
It works for me.

I believe it goes something like this

Rancho (most overstable)
San Marino (stable/overstable)
Ontario (slightly understable)

I have 3 rancho (2 DX, and a KC) but they fly differently. Beat in KC is stable as all get out. The beat DX is understable, and New DX is slightly overstable. The Star San Marino though is very overstable.

I like all the Rancho and San marino both, haven't thrown an Ontario.

Rancho (most overstable)

The Star San Marino though is very overstable.

Yes the Star SM Roc is overstable until it's broken in, but with Star plastic, it takes a lot of abuse before breaking in.
Your chart above is correct. I've thrown all three extensively.
I used to carry an Ontario Roc and it is slightly understable. Instead, I use a Comet because of better glide and distance.

Rancho (most overstable)

I have 3 rancho (2 DX, and a KC) but they fly differently. Beat in KC is stable as all get out. The beat DX is understable, and New DX is slightly overstable. The Star San Marino though is very overstable.

I do the same thing with the rancho mold but I use a beat to hades DX and 2 KCs, one sweet stable and a new one just in case the wind gets too breezy.

Ontario is more garbage than SM and the Roc+ is the worst of all...sorry guys, I just personally don't like the other versions. Rancho is right-o.

:)