• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star TL - Me vs. the Disc

swatso

Birdie Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
For the most part, when I throw a disc, it behaves as advertized, e.g.:
I throw a Firebird, and it turns hard left as it slows.
I throw a Valk, and it stays fairly straight after a mild S-shape flight.
I throw a Stingray, and it initially turns right, then slightly fades at the end.

However, I have a Star TL, which should fly fairly straight, less overstable than similar speed/glide discs. For me, it behaves quite overstable, like I imagine a Banshee would.

So, is it ...
Me? :-O
The disc is mis-labelled - actually it is a Banshee! :)
A TL is more overstable that the ratings would indicate ...

Anyone have a similar experience with this disc?

For me, they are a little less stable than a teebird... I imagine that once it is beatup a bit it would have less turn and be good for straight/tunnel shots.

I carry two (2) Star TL discs in my bag. I have a very old one, that behaves in a similar fashion to a very long Stingray, and I have a newer one, that behaves like a very short Wraith.

I am a firm believer in the Star TL, or the Startle, as we've come to call it in my Circle.

If you're looking for a disc with similar speed and glide to a TL, I've seen lots of people throw Trackers by Discraft. Perhaps that may be a better fit.

The Star TL is one of the most versitile discs that I have ever thrown. When they are new they'll hold any line, and as they age they'll become very dependable for anyhzers.

I have a 171g Star TL and they just get better with age. Give it some time and It'll be your go to driver for any line you want to hold. The disc just feels comfortable and probably one of my favorites in my bag.

I have a 171g Star TL and they just get better with age. Give it some time and It'll be your go to driver for any line you want to hold. The disc just feels comfortable and probably one of my favorites in my bag.

I second that. My star TL started off pretty overstable to stable but after a little wear and tear it holds any line I put it on.

Meet me at a course and we can compare our Star TL's. I'd say mine is more stable than I though it would be, but its getting less stable as it wears.

What color is it? I heard the red TLs are best. I love my red Star TL!

I just picked up a Blue 175 Star TL at PIAS for 4 bucks! I was surprised at how stable it was, although my star Teebird is much more stable. I can't wait to start using it more, it has alot of potential from what I've seen.

I use a 172 yellow TL and it does wonders. I don't believe in the whole color making a difference thing but can tell you that it gets better over time. Great fairway disc for control and accuracy.

I've had two of them (lost the first one) and they pretty much have performed as advertised. Both it and my Star Teebird are my go to drivers.

So long as the rim of that disc is prettymuch flat and not extremely concave (like a Banshee) then you've got the right disc.

I imagine weight is your issue. Without knowing I would imagine your other discs are in the 160-167g range and your TL is closer to 175g. Don't believe what Innova writes on the discs. Weigh them with a gram or food scale and see if this discs is much heavier than you are used to.

Other than that I'll agree, you certainly are seeing some odd results. You could just say "F it" and buy a JLS which I prefer over a TL (but they're prettymuch the same disc to me).

The other thing to remember about Innova is that their ratings are based on the first run of that disc. So if a disc first comes out in DX and later as Pro the pro "should" have more glide than the original disc and Star/Champion should be more overstable than the original DX mold. I'm not saying it's going to knock down the hi-speed turn rating by 1 unit and/or increase the fade by one unit but it's something to keep in mind. (The TL was already in production when I started playing so I'm not sure plastic it was originally released in.)

To better explain that part read this:
http://www.innovadiscs.com/faq/plastictype.html

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that if you're not aware of this plastic difference checkout Discraft and how they vary their ratings within the same mold. This is prettymuch a rule for all similar plastics from all MFG's. It's not not something special about Discraft or Innova.

Notice on this page how the ProD Buzz (DX) is more stable (less overstable) than the better plastics.
http://discraft.com/dgmidrange.html

Oh no, there I go again, expounding a bit (or a lot) too long.Well I hope someone finds this helpful.

I've got an almost new (but not for long, the way I've been going to it) Star TL that's a pretty shade of purple, with little pinkish flecks in it. :cool: It's 170g and straight as an arrow for me. By comparison, I might say it's more stable than a Leopard, but definitely not overstable. Innova's flight path drawing describes my disc's typical flight pretty well.

I love my Star TL and would love to pick up some more of them. See my first Star TL started to get used for everything, and in fairness I still try to use it for everything. The problem I have now is that it is quite understable, especially when I throw forehand, which for some reason is a lot easier for me to get a good snap. At the same time my TL is turning into what will become an amazing roller disc, even after rolling it into a lake once. When I throw my TL backhand it is still close to flight ratings but will hold whatever hyzer I put on it.

Here is something to remember about all flight ratings, they are based on putting a professional quality snap on the disc. This means that most discs will be more overstable until you work out a good snap.

In reference to the comment about the Trackers performing like the TL's I have to say, I throw both and that is def. not the case for me.

My TL Summary
I find the disc to come out smooth and straight, you can put a bit of arm into it because of the almost 0 HSS. When thrown fairly hard I tend to notice that it fades fairly little, meaning it does hyzer at the end of the shot, but it is marginal and in relation to the height. Meaning if I throw it 10ft off the ground on the straight line mine will fade approximately 10ft off the end of the throw.

My Tracker Summary
The disc is just as over-stable as the TL on initial release, I would give it a .5 HSS however I find that it fades much harder with the LSS than the TL at the same height. I would say the same throw, straight and 10ft off the ground with the tracker would maybe fade 12-15ft, which is pretty much the same, however on a shot that has any type of elevation change, or you start up a hill, the tracker definitely carries and that LSS comes into play.

The best example I can give is Cedar Hills, NC - Hole 2. It's a huge dog leg left...roughly 100/150 ft to the turn, and then it turns at about a 60 degree angle for another 80-100 ft. The turn goes down a big hill. That being said - I've throw my TL and Tracker on this hole.

The TL comes out straight and ends up blowing past the turn and staying straight.

The Tracker comes out straight, and due to that LSS it bends more, coupled with the elevation change I get the true benefit of the Tracker and can pretty much park it within 20ft of the hole.

This example will mean more to those that play the course, and of-course it's just my opinion.

Hope it helps.

StarTL details

I imagine weight is your issue. Without knowing I would imagine your other discs are in the 160-167g range and your TL is closer to 175g. Don't believe what Innova writes on the discs. Weigh them with a gram or food scale and see if this discs is much heavier than you are used to.

Other than that I'll agree, you certainly are seeing some odd results. You could just say "F it" and buy a JLS which I prefer over a TL (but they're prettymuch the same disc to me).

As a matter of fact, my StarTL is red, if that makes a difference :)

It also happens to weight 171g, which is fairly typical for me - most of my discs are in the lower 170s.

I also happen to own a QJLS which, according the the disc chart available at Marshall Street, should behave similar to a StarTL, i.e. fairly stable, with minimal turn or fade.

And indeed, that is how the QJLS performs for me - which was why I was curious that the StarTL did not. Maybe is just needs to be beat in a bit more - my QJLS has been through much more wear-n-tear than my StarTL.

I have one that goes straight for a while and then fades to the left at the end of the flight.

i was looking at adding a Star TL to my assortment of discs. i think this thread has talked me into it. it would seem that most everyone really likes their TLs.

thanks!

Good call on the TL, it is a wonderful disc. I did try and trow a roller with it today and it nearly rolled back to me so I don't think that I am going to try that one again for a while.