• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starting a collegiate disc golf team

jannimal

hey guys, a group of guys and myself started a disc golf club at our college and im currently in the process of trying to build a team. is there anyone out there who could give me any advice on how to go about this?

Heartman and Katana Frenzy on here are members of the UGA Disc Dawgs team, contact one or both of them.

hey guys, a group of guys and myself started a disc golf club at our college and im currently in the process of trying to build a team. is there anyone out there who could give me any advice on how to go about this?

If you haven't already, contact the school's rec department or whatever department (student activities?) would handle making your club an official club team. They'll be able to tell you what you need to do to become official.

From there, recruit. Put up signs at the course, start a website/facebook/etc. NCDGC.com has a nice summary of what it takes.

If you haven't already, contact the school's rec department or whatever department (student activities?) would handle making your club an official club team. They'll be able to tell you what you need to do to become official.

From there, recruit. Put up signs at the course, start a website/facebook/etc. NCDGC.com has a nice summary of what it takes.

Pretty much. Ask other sports clubs to find out who to go to and contact. You'll be doing some paper work and such to get it started.

Start the club first and recruit. Put up signs. Ask around. I found a lot of guys in the ultimate club that also played disc golf. Good luck!

Also, check and see if you are required to have an advisor for the club. We had to at Clemson, and the advisor had to be a part of the faculty at the school.

Good luck!

Does your school have its own course? If not you may want to get ahold of the local park boards and see if any of them want to make their park your home course.

It definitely varies by school, but at Iowa State where I attend, there is a requirement to have an adviser to be recognized as an official school organization. Furthermore, there is a subdivision of the campus organizations for sports clubs, which allows the clubs to receive partial funding from the university for events. I am not too familiar with what it takes to get involved with the NCDGC, so ask around and/ or do some research. As far as getting members, word of mouth, social media and club fair promotions seem to work pretty well. Signs at the nearby course would be helpful, too.

all good advice, thanks guys. the information i really need is to do with the ncdgc. i was talking to a guy today about the playing formats which i understand. i also know you have to play in a qualifier to go to nationals. do any of you know if there are other tournaments to play? would i just have to contact other teams to schedule a round and would it be for an official ranking? are the qualifiers and the national tournament the only time multiple schools meet up to play?

all good advice, thanks guys. the information i really need is to do with the ncdgc. i was talking to a guy today about the playing formats which i understand. i also know you have to play in a qualifier to go to nationals. do any of you know if there are other tournaments to play? would i just have to contact other teams to schedule a round and would it be for an official ranking? are the qualifiers and the national tournament the only time multiple schools meet up to play?

You can get put on the NCDGC email list. You'll get emails concerning qualifying tournaments throughout the school year of various sizes and in various places. Some collegiate tournaments are PDGA sanctioned, some are not. There is an official Collegiate rankings (maybe sponsored by Innova or whatever) that takes into account play/placement/finish in the official collegiate tournaments.

... and you can just contact other schools to see if they want to play a friendly just for fun/bragging rights or whatever. UGA and UNG played up at NGCT earlier this semester and it was a fun day at a great course. GT and Clemson have been coming to Athens for years now without ever inviting us :( for a yearly friendly.

Last edited:
Feel free to contact me. I was the vice prez for our club team at CSU Monterey. We have been going for the past 5 years, so I have a good idea of what needs to happen to get to Nationals if that is your end goal.

Heartman and Katana Frenzy on here are members of the UGA Disc Dawgs team, contact one or both of them.

I was just about to ask the same question but I don't know if I would trust a rival school

GT and Clemson have been coming to Athens for years now without ever inviting us :( for a yearly friendly.

That's because GT and Clemson are friends. :p

But you know, for a couple years we talked about having some sort of clean, old-fashioned hate tournament during the weekend of the football game. It would have involved the two teams of course, and then as many alumni as would show up. I always felt like we could really turn the two fan bases against each other for the mutual benefit of both schools. See which school could bring out more players, raise more money, shoot better scores, etc. Then we could split the donations between the two clubs. I wanted to do it, but it just never came together.

It isn't too late to start.

But to the OP's point, check out your university's listing of student organizations and see what it takes to become one. Spend the first few semesters building up your membership base, and take it from there.