• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Step put from 10m line

Guezo

Howdy. We have a drop zone at exactly 10m. Is it legal to step putt from (across) this drop zone?

806.01 Putting Area......specifically says (para A)....within 10 meters....is a putt.... And when putting, you (para B) have to show balance and cannot advance to the target until balance has been shown.

So, from the 10 meter line, no problem.....but I would suggest doing what Monocacy suggests....that way there's less chance of someone calling a stance violation and having to get out a tape measure.

And yes, someone would demand it be remeasured to ensure the line really was at 10 meters and not accidentally painted closer.

Personally, I would mark the drop zone at 11 meters and take away any confusion. Or make sure it gets announced at the player's meeting and on the caddy book. "The line for the drop zone on hole x is exactly 10 meters and step/jump putts are allowed from there".

You would still be measuring from the front. Lie doesn't change regardless of where on the "sheet of paper" you choose to play from (or where on the "teeing area" to fit the other drop zone definition.)
Good point.....806.01 A even states "....as measured from the front of the lie...."

I tend to agree that i would make it either just under 10m or just outside it (depending on what your goal is) just for the sake of simplicity.

Serious question...
Exactly ten meters from center pole?
Or from front of cage?

True...

What if the basket is hanging?
What if the basket is on something but does not have the pole beneath?

So MPO hole 0 has a scoring distribution of 3.125% negative sixes, 3.125% negative fives, 6.25% negative fours, 12.5% negative threes, and 25% each of: negative two, negative one, and zero.

Its average score is negative 1.72 and it has a huge scoring spread of 5.42.

For FPO, an average of negative 1.35 and a big scoring spread of 4.67.

Par for both is negative one; soft for MPO, tough for FPO.

True...

What if the basket is hanging?
What if the basket is on something but does not have the pole beneath?
It's from the base of the target. Regardless of if the target is hanging, on something other than a pole, etc. If it is a basket and the tray is the lowest point, then that would be the base (like for a hanging basket with no pole under it). Then it would be measured from that point. I think the rule should be clarified by stating "the center of the target"....but that wouldn't work for solid objects like trees. Maybe "the outer edge of the target closest to the lie".

One of those issues that is fixed by choice. The TD could state it is outside the circle or inside the circle and the issue is moot. Yes it should be measured and adjudicated accurately, but there is a microscopic difference between in and out and nobody is going to debate what the TD says if it's basically on the line. Just make a call and eliminate the debate. As long as it is the same for all competitors then there is no issue.

Latest posts