• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Storing Discs in Car?

cachow61

I consider myself to be a somewhat spontaneous person, and once in a while it's nice to just head off to the disc golf course at the drop of a hat and play a round, no matter where I am. Also, driving home to pick up discs is a gas waster. However, this requires that I keep discs in my car. During the summer, it can get very hot in my car, and I don't want to subject my discs to extreme heat :evil:.
Is there any way I can keep discs with me at all times, but protect them from warping?

I carry my bag in the back of my car. Ive done it for 7 years.
my Blazer had 1% window tint, and it was cool and I had no problems.
My new GTI, no tint yet... It gets hot in there. still no problems.
Just keep em out of sunlight and I'd think you'll be ok.

I've never had a problem with a warped disc or anything from keeping em in my car

heh be careful with it. I've seen discs with holes melted in them just from sitting in a car.

I keep mine in my car everyday but I also park under a tree so the car isnt as hot when I leave for the course.

Sometimes I will just bring the bag into work with me and set them down by my desk.

I have kept my discs in the trunk of my car for about 8 or so years now - extras, my bag, all discs that I actively use, I keep in my trunk and I have NEVER had any issues with melting, warping, or any of those things!

and btw, sweet DMB logo!

I have a bigger problem keeping mine in the house. They get cool in the air conditioning and then when I go to play they get condensation on them and feel cold and clammy. I have to wipe them off to keep them from slipping out of my hand.

I keep mine in the truck, but out of the sun, and I take my putter out of the pocket and lay it flat on the club cab seat.

I think as long as you keep the discs upright it is generally alright. The problem comes when you have them laying flat and the heat makes them more susceptible to the effects of gravity on the flight plate

I keep all the discs that I even think I might use in my car and my bag is almost always in the back seat of my car. There are so many courses around me that when I go do something there is always a course within a few miles of where I am. I haven't ever had any problems either.

Buy yourself one of those plastic storage bins and keep your discs there. I can't count how many discs I had to throw away because they would roll around in my trunk and have stuff fall on them or whatever and then get warped because they were so hot and pliable at the time.

I lived in Texas for a while, and discs could get warped in the car there, but it was a rare occasion, and really only happened if they were left in the sun with any kind of weight or pressure on them.

My solution was to keep a few emergency discs in my car for impromptu rounds -- I'd always have a Teebird/Firebird/Roc/Wizard (or something similar) in a durable (think heat resistant) type of plastic somewhere out of the sun (under the seat, in the trunk, etc...).

As long as you have your goto molds in the car, you can play a pretty good round at almost any course. It won't be 100% the same as if you have your whole bag, but it will be close enough for spur of the moment casual play, and if something does go wrong and your discs get tacoed or warped somehow, you're not out many discs and not out any of your goto discs.

Notice the geography of the people posting responses -- for folks who in cooler areas, they probably never have had any problems. For folks who are down South, the heat can get lethal. Heat coming in through the windows is absorbed by the interior, and the glass acts as an insulator. The temperature in your car get up to 200 degrees, depending on the temperature outside, the kind of vehicle you have, and how long it has been in the sun.

At 200 degrees, discs start warping all over the place. If you want to see this for yourself, place a disc in a pot of boiling water and leave it there for a few minutes -- that's what the temperature can be in your car.

So make sure that discs are out of the sun and that they are in some sort of stable arrangement -- carefully stacked in a box, face up on the floor, or some other arrangement that will help prevent gravity from warping the discs.

discs in the normal 20 qt. sterilite containers i use for all plastic... standing on end... in my trunk... months at a time, in Austin, hardly ever in the shade.

no problems.

loose discs... dead. direct sunlight.. dead. uneven pressure of any kind... dead. leaning discs... dead. on top of common sense i learned proper disc packing... keep the diameters together... no Roc, TB, Roc, AVR, Roc, FB.... all smalls together, all large together... the two groups meet with the bottom of the small against the top of the large. no leaning in the box... mix the vertical and horizontal to pack them in snug.

but if you ever warp the hell out of your discs, lay them on a flat surface in the sun all day. warms it up and loosens the bonds, then as it cools it goes back to its originally molded form. UPS kills discs, and this is how they're best revived.

I take mine indoors. Never in sunlight. Just habit.

More importantly, DMB rules. Just saw them in St. Louis about a month ago in Busch Stadium. Kick ass concert.

ok i was wondering since we have seen alot of how not to warp your disc

but how do you unwarp a disc i have a wraith that i let get squashed by my bag and now it is concaved really bad how do i get it close to normal since this is my back up wraith

I've heard some people take the disc, set it upside down on a pot smaller than the disc so it rests on top and then poor very hot water into it and let it sit.

curt said:
I think as long as you keep the discs upright it is generally alright. The problem comes when you have them laying flat and the heat makes them more susceptible to the effects of gravity on the flight plate

x1

I leave my discs in the car year round, and the only ones that have been damaged have been lying flat, or had stuff piled on top of them.

i've always kept them in the bed of my truck with my bedcap on and never had a problem. usually i'll leave my putter on the dash though the sun makes it feel gummyer and i like GUMMY

k-os said:
I've heard some people take the disc, set it upside down on a pot smaller than the disc so it rests on top and then poor very hot water into it and let it sit.

just tried this today on my esp flashes, it worked amazingly well. Quickest fix ever :D

My disc stay in my car i very rarely take them out and i havent had any warping at all.

Latest posts