• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Straight upshots/drives: Axiom Proxy vs Lat64 Pure

i used an opto pure for a long time, then tried switching to envy/proxy set up (a couple of times) i keep going back to the pures

This is me, and I still have not stopped going back and forth. Since I just got my first Envy not long ago, and trying Envy/Proxy/Theory as my shortish approach discs and putting with a Hunter. I just never could get used to putting with Atoms and gave mine away.

I bought a GL Pure to compare to my Envy a couple years ago. Fresh, it was pretty similar to the Envy, but it had a lot of flashing that bothered me, so I trimmed it off. After that it had some turn and not nearly as much fade. Around the same time I got a watermelon Proxy. It had the HSS of the Envy without the fade, something the Pure never was in either state.

Long story short, in my experience, the Proxy is the straighter disc. It kicked the Pure from my bag.

I bought a GL Pure to compare to my Envy a couple years ago. Fresh, it was pretty similar to the Envy, but it had a lot of flashing that bothered me, so I trimmed it off. After that it had some turn and not nearly as much fade. Around the same time I got a watermelon Proxy. It had the HSS of the Envy without the fade, something the Pure never was in either state.

Long story short, in my experience, the Proxy is the straighter disc. It kicked the Pure from my bag.

It is all going to come down to throwing style and expectations of the disc.

I drive with Ions and other putters as the situation requires, but for everything 150' in, maybe 200, I go with the Gold Line Pure. I can lay into it fairly well and laser it straight with no fade or turn.

The DyeMax Gold Line Pures are a little faster and a little more touchy than the production Gold Lines, but for me they are all money. I do have to be conscious of torque and release angles, but when I get it right, it is clearly the winner and I will never throw anything else.

BRP #4 - 445 feet by approximately 11 feet wide Par 4. I do get in trouble from time to time, but otherwise Pure - Pure - Putt and take a birdie.

15567849948_8e3da6377f_z.jpg

Pures will flip under a high powered throw.

Proxy realllly doesn't like to flip unless you throw it wrong.

That's the difference to me - you can rip on the Proxy and not worry.

It is all going to come down to throwing style and expectations of the disc.

I drive with Ions and other putters as the situation requires, but for everything 150' in, maybe 200, I go with the Gold Line Pure. I can lay into it fairly well and laser it straight with no fade or turn.

The DyeMax Gold Line Pures are a little faster and a little more touchy than the production Gold Lines, but for me they are all money. I do have to be conscious of torque and release angles, but when I get it right, it is clearly the winner and I will never throw anything else.

BRP #4 - 445 feet by approximately 11 feet wide Par 4. I do get in trouble from time to time, but otherwise Pure - Pure - Putt and take a birdie.

15567849948_8e3da6377f_z.jpg

You're right. I was used to my Pure fading before I trimmed it, and threw it as such, afterwards it wasn't meeting my expectations, but I'm sure is still a great disc. I'm just so set with my Proxies now, I don't really need to go back.

And that hole. Daang, I want to laser my Theory down that now.

Pures will flip under a high powered throw.

Proxy realllly doesn't like to flip unless you throw it wrong.

That's the difference to me - you can rip on the Proxy and not worry.

This is my experience as well. The proxy is special, and will help you play better rounds.

The Judge is a little more overstable than the Proxy or Pure, but you could certainly beat one in to cover this role. They feel very different than the Pure or Proxy do though.

I think both the Proxy and Pure are very good discs for this slot.

The biggest difference in flight is the Proxy has rock solid high speed stability no matter how far you throw it. The Pure will start to show a touch of turn past 230-250', and the effect becomes more pronounced as you get further out. Most people don't use putters in this range so this won't matter to them.

Rim feel is also different. The Pure has a flat bottom wing while the Proxy is just barely concave. The Pure also has a more rounded shoulder VS the flatter Proxy. Most people, including me, prefer flatter topped discs for forehand shots. I can't find the specifications for the Proxy height but I'm pretty sure I remember Pures felt just a touch taller. They both have 10mm wings.

The Pure is available in baseline, so there's that. The MVP Atom is pretty close to a baseline Proxy though.

I prefer the Proxy. It does better in the wind, holds truer lines thrown past 200', flicks better and fits my hand better than any other driving putter I've used.

That being said the way I use putters can be different than how a lot of players use them, so maybe the different plastic options mean more to you than how well either disc holds a laser straight line off the tee.

Here's a Proxy refusing to flip to flat, much less turn over, on a 400'+ throw

Tagging you here Mike because you know your gyro.

I'm looking for options to bag as a neutral putter alongside an Envy. I'm wondering if maybe the Proxy is a little too fast for what I'm looking for, which is a putter that won't fall out of the air when powered down and will instead stay straight to the ground. I don't mind and in fact might appreciate a controllable flip up on 200 ft shots and out.

In your experience, can the Proxy handle lower power shots or should I look elsewhere? The Nova basically is what comes to mind but I'm not sure I love the Innova over mold.

Tagging you here Mike because you know your gyro.

I'm looking for options to bag as a neutral putter alongside an Envy. I'm wondering if maybe the Proxy is a little too fast for what I'm looking for, which is a putter that won't fall out of the air when powered down and will instead stay straight to the ground. I don't mind and in fact might appreciate a controllable flip up on 200 ft shots and out.

In your experience, can the Proxy handle lower power shots or should I look elsewhere? The Nova basically is what comes to mind but I'm not sure I love the Innova over mold.

P
O
L
E
C
A
T

DX max weight? I have two in 167g

I can't see a problem with 167 if they're not thrashed, but max weight works fine.
DX or XT. It's the original (better) Nova.

Start going below 160 for tricky finesse stuff, but they get more squirrely then when you power up.

I can't see a problem with 167 if they're not thrashed, but max weight works fine.
DX or XT. It's the original (better) Nova.

Start going below 160 for tricky finesse stuff, but they get more squirrely then when you power up.

There are 175g Champion Polecats, and a 175g DX Polecat is good if one prefers baseline plastic.

A 150-class DX Polecat is also good for getting out of situations where one can't make a full throw. Just don't overpower the disc on open throws.

Last edited:
I have the itch for a point and shoot, straight flying putter. I think I have it narrowed down to the Proxy and the Pure. How do they compare/differ? Could the judge be put into this category as well?

Thank you!

I'm going to be very honest ----get an MVP Atom - In either Neutron / Proton for stable at power - and an Electron (baseline) for straight and after wear some turn . Atom is THE best short range stable thrower ive ever used - and im a disc nerd. I've used the Pure and the Proxy - both good discs don't get me wrong but if you want a laser that can handle some power but can be manipulated on every line also has a cruising speed line that it just GOES straight - get a couple atoms Proton is most stable, then Neutron, then Electron Firm, then Electron Medium/Soft - I used a Beat Electron for slight turnovers and long putts and floaty shots, its still straight but turns with power----a Fresh Electron Firm, a Neutron for laser straight, and a Proton to handle a lil more headwind and tiny more hookup ----ATOM bro....atom......bro........brooohhhhh :thmbup::thmbup:

I know I went psycho on the Atom - because its awesome - Also the Proxy/Envy combo is great as well. They're all great discs....I'd highly highly highly suggest an Electron Atom, Neutron(or proton) Atom ---OR----a Proxy and Envy of the same plastic and weight.

Either combo will get you the short range/driving putter feel/flight that you are looking for.

Latest posts