• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strategy - Throwing For Three in the Tight woods

zrxchris

Birdie Member
Playing at a tight up down woods course, even tighter than my home course.

I'm trying to throw a midrange and hit a spot within 75-100' that I can get a good upshot to get par. If it tight near the tee then my TL & Teebird do well for me.

Trying to use more midranges off the tee for really tight gaps and just get the best straight 200-250 shot that gives me an easy upshot for three.
It seems like I overpower them sometimes and they don't do what I want them too.

When everything clicks I can make these discs do these things 150-175'

flex and S back (prodigy m4)
Annie release hold right then fade back (M4)
Straight (comet, buzz SS)
Late fade (truth, suspect)

When I mess up at 175'+
the M4 doesn't flex back
Comet dives right
Truth suspect go more right at the end and don't fade back as much.

Any tips on how to get the good finnese release and still keep a good distance, do I not throw as hard? No x step? One step?

Guess what I'm trying to say is to get more distance with a midrange do I need to not throw quite so hard, eliminate run up...seems like I'm overpowering the disc maybe.

If your comet is diving right on you, that screams form flaw, to me. Concentrate on getting the disc out of your hand clean, would be my advice. Hard to tell without some video

There's not really any technique difference between driving with putters mids and drivers other than in general throw/aim higher for slower discs so they can glide. Drivers are likely masking your flaws in technique.

Thanks sidewinder. I'll get some video soon....
Going to try and think safe and shoot for par instead of going for it so much with drivers tommorow
Course is treacherous trees and elevation, some of the only flat areas are the tees...