• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Strategy to which mids to bag?

How confident in throwing your putters on longer lines or fairways on shorter lines?

Its possible to just carry a slight stable to understable mid. I have tried multiple setups but found that a slightly OS mold which holds up to good headwind and will fade reliable but still fly. Not something crazy OS but a disc you can rely on like a longer version of your putter is great. A controllable understable mid is a must especially on the slower side.

My set up currently is vector tangent and theory which kills the midrange set up for me.

For me, it's the same process with all disc categories. For mids, I'm looking for something that will go right (beat KC Pro Roc), something that will tend to fly straight (Z Buzzzz for me), and something over stable when you need the disc to fade or to fight wind (Champ Roc III or Z Hornet).

My though process works like this:
Are there rocs?
If yes, play disc golf. If no, go buy rocs

not in 2015. that's actually bad advice I would say. what roc? v or 3 or this plastic that plastic this run that run what run who run you run 8x 10 x 11x 12x Mc Pro before sale now its for sale who has Roc3s for sale from the 1x to 2x and this x or that X did i mention DX then the OCD you need to find theeee?! I mean sure throw a roc if you want but damn.........

not in 2015. that's actually bad advice I would say. what roc? v or 3 or this plastic that plastic this run that run what run who run you run 8x 10 x 11x 12x Mc Pro before sale now its for sale who has Roc3s for sale from the 1x to 2x and this x or that X did i mention DX then the OCD you need to find theeee?! I mean sure throw a roc if you want but damn.........

I also consider "buzzz" to be an acceptable answer but it's not for me

You definitely wont find the variance in buzzes in my experience over the life of the roc. Not bad thing but seems confusing at this point with So many roc variations.

you barely scratched the surface of the roc variations.

i bag a beat kc roc for flip to flat, slight fade. my main shot.
a champ roc3 for parking anything i can throw a hyzer line on
and either a x comet/ vip tursas for sweeping left to right shots.

It's not that confusing. Maybe it is if you're a new player but why would you show them or tell them all that anyway? (Oh I see, to slowly meld them into a fellow gyro-fanboy. :|) If anyone cares enough to even look up 8x Rocs or whatever then obviously they're gonna be able to handle all the information. I will agree though that the VRoc should've just been called something else..

But besides all that, all you need is KC Pros!

To the OP, I'm currently having a battle for the OS/Workhorse mid for my bag between the Ghost and Warrior. So far, I'm leaning slightly toward Warrior, especially for the Sure-Grip cycling. Whichever I choose will be complimented by my Element.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of us are saying the same thing so far. 3 mids, OS, S, US. That's usually my strategy too. Mine are Verdict, Alias, Theory.

How do u choose which mids to bag?

What factors do u consider?

I went though lots of companies mids before I settled into what I liked. First, they have to feel right in my hands (every one has their own preferences) and they have to fly constantly for me.

The better I got at throwing my putters, the less I was relying on mids for powered down shots so I started noticing that I would go rounds without using my mids all that much. So, I started pulling one here and there and seeing if I noticed a hole in the bag.

I'm down to 3 that I always bag. A Suspect for that tweener overstable slot, a G* Roc3 for my general mid duties and a Champion Panther for straight, turnover and roller/utility shots. These 3 cover everything for me. If it's a more open course, I'll also bag a KC Pro Roc.

I guess some factors to consider are the types of courses you play. I play a lot of wooded courses so The G* Roc3 kicked out the KC Pro because if it hits a tree, it doesn't ricochet off as much as harder plastics.

I bag a gator for my mid OS slot, a KC pro Roc for straight and utility and a Tangent for understable shots. I used to bag a Mako 3, but I like the Tangents flight better.

How confident in throwing your putters on longer lines or fairways on shorter lines?

Its possible to just carry a slight stable to understable mid. I have tried multiple setups but found that a slightly OS mold which holds up to good headwind and will fade reliable but still fly. Not something crazy OS but a disc you can rely on like a longer version of your putter is great. A controllable understable mid is a must especially on the slower side.

My set up currently is vector tangent and theory which kills the midrange set up for me.

I'm pretty similar

vector, alias, theory

First I want to cover the basics left,right straight. Or if you prefer, overstable, stable, understable. Then for me it was about "feel."

So right now I'm carrying 5 different molds with 6 mids in total.

Overstable - Z Hornet
Stable - Z Buzzz from now until late fall when I bag an FLX Buzzz
Stable - I've recently tried the Truth. I like it and I have 2 in the bag, a 150g Lucid Air and a 167g Moonshine.
Stable - Star Atlas, straightest and longest mid in my bag.
Understable - ESP Meteor

Eventually either the Buzzz or Truths will have to go.

You guys are all doing it wrong. You pick up 3 aftershocks, 1 sparkle for os and 2 prolines for a stable mid. Once you get a pro line beat in you have an under stable mid. After that you are supposed compliment them with squalls and an a beefy fast mid or slow fairway. I prefer hornets or tridents.

It's not that confusing. Maybe it is if you're a new player but why would you show them or tell them all that anyway? (Oh I see, to slowly meld them into a fellow gyro-fanboy. :|) If anyone cares enough to even look up 8x Rocs or whatever then obviously they're gonna be able to handle all the information. I will agree though that the VRoc should've just been called something else..

But besides all that, all you need is KC Pros!

To the OP, I'm currently having a battle for the OS/Workhorse mid for my bag between the Ghost and Warrior. So far, I'm leaning slightly toward Warrior, especially for the Sure-Grip cycling. Whichever I choose will be complimented by my Element.

Wrong. Was and still is too confusing.

Hmm let me see...
To start with, I wanted an overstable mid to cycle and use for all midrange shots. my choice was a Sure Grip Warrior. I used it for years and it still isnt worn in to being even slightly understable. That Sure Grip plastic from Gateway is, at the same time, fantastic and a curse. It last forever and the wearing of my first (2 years now) Warrior has been so slow that it is just stable to slightly overstable now. If I loose it, I dont know what Im going to do. So I got an Element, that is stable to understable, to complement it and Im ready to go.

To answer the OP... I choose my mids slightly faster than normal mid speed, otherwise my putters will overlap too much, lenghtwise.
To avoid overlap between my mids and fairway drivers, I use PD's that are a little faster that TBirds and FD's but still very controlable.

My first mid was a Buzzz and Discraft has treated me well with consistent flights and plastic for 7+ years. I stick to Z plastic. There's some variation in dome but that's about it. Flat Buzzz/Wasps and big ol' domey Comets. Mmm-mm!

I spent a year and a half with Rocs, they're great. Except for FH shots, and I can smash a Z Buzzz on a post from 10' and its still nice and stable.

How do u choose which mids to bag?

What factors do u consider?

Mids are a weird slot for me..it's very rare for me to use them off the tee, and there's not a ton of courses that I play that require a drive, upshot with a mid, then a putt. I'm not a big arm, but unless it's a hole over 450 it's pretty rare to need a mid.

But, I do use them. My strategy has been, for years, OS-Straight-Turnover. Last year I bagged the Buzzz OS because it's awesome, so that changed to really OS-OS-Straight-Turnover.

I've thrown Rocs for so long that I'm enamored with their feel. So aside from the BOS, all my slots are Rocs. Works well for me.