• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggling with throwing high.

rjaco

Bogey Member
Weather permitting, I work on my form 3-4 times a week in my back yard. Most of the time I am throwing putters or mids. I've been struggling with the height of my throws. It's not every throw but happens fairly frequently. I'm sure some of it is due to nose up but I feel like there's something else I am doing wrong. I think it has to do with my follow throw or something towards the end of the throw. Any ideas on what to look for or how to correct? I have other form issues but would like to get this under control.

Stay on your toes and keep your head down. I come out of my shots and get in a hurry to get to heel pivot all the time.

Declarkus, I think that is part of my problem.

Doug, I posted a few videos last year. Don't have any that are recent. I've been planning on taking some, just haven't done it yet.

What has helped me is making sure my weight is forward, following through completely, and ensuring that on my pull-through, my elbow is even or slightly above the disc.

Try keeping your throwing hand below shoulder level during your follow through. My nephew has the same problem because he keeps throwing his hand up...

Thanks for all the tips. I think all of them could apply except the long stride. I'm almost 50, so no long strides even if I wanted to. lol

take a video if you can. thats the best way for us to help you out.

It might still be your grip. The Beardedfatguy had a good post and video about an easy technique in grabbing the disc that made sure the grip was correct for nose down. It helped me and a few others. Sorry I don't have time to search for it but maybe he or someone else can post the link again.

A lot of it can be grip as you know. Swing plane too obviously. But another is if you aren't bracing correctly you'll run right through/past your plant foot, so your spine angle keeps shifting during the entire throw. It makes throws unpredictable, and also the more you try to power up by taking more momentum into the throw, the more your body changes angles during the throw.

It's hard to know if it's these things without video. But to me #1 is grip and #2 is staying balanced from reachback to follow through.

Thanks for all the tips. I think all of them could apply except the long stride. I'm almost 50, so no long strides even if I wanted to. lol

As Slowplastic mentioned, bracing and spine angle are important. You may not think you're long striding, but it's still possible your strides are tipping your spine angle backwards. It's just another thing to consider.
Without video, tough to diagnose.
Regardless, good luck and I hope you find your solution.

I like to keep my hand and arm on release on the same plane as my flight plane all the way through my follow through.

One drill that helps is to purposely throw the disc at a target on the ground in front of you. Throw a few throws at each distance and try to hit the target. Start at 50ft and add 10ft per set (3-5 throws) until you get out to your max distance. The drill works best if you're throwing hard at each interval.

A lot of it can be grip as you know. Swing plane too obviously. But another is if you aren't bracing correctly you'll run right through/past your plant foot, so your spine angle keeps shifting during the entire throw. It makes throws unpredictable, and also the more you try to power up by taking more momentum into the throw, the more your body changes angles during the throw.

It's hard to know if it's these things without video. But to me #1 is grip and #2 is staying balanced from reachback to follow through.

I do have problems with bracing, among other things. What's weird is it doesn't happen all the time, maybe 40% or so. Haven't really paid attention to how often.

There is a local guy that is one of the top players around. Think he's around 1000 rated. He just started giving lessons. Think I will give him a try. I know that just because he is good, doesn't mean he is a good teacher but he should be able to help me out. I do need to make a video sometime.

I have tried throwing at close targets in the past. I probably need to do it again.

I've been working on this myself. Throwing on different slopes has been helping me. I throw down hill, then uphill, and focus on throwing about 3 feet off the ground. Keep your follow through on that plane. It feels goofy at first, like you are swinging way too low, but it will help and feel right soon enough