• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sugaree in retrospect

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Thinking a lot about what I would have done differently if I decided to have a disc golf course installed today, rather than what I did in 2008.
#1 Hire a top notch course designer. Either Chuck Kennedy or John Houck.
#2 Limit the design to 18 holes.
#3 Concrete pads instead of the constant maintenance involved in cheaper options.
#4 Invest in making the course cart friendly.
#5 Stone benches at every hole.
#6 Hooters girls serving beer in golf carts

Last edited:
what about the tim g vs mando duke out

stay the same or different
There wouldn't have been any need. The course would not have changed which was the crux of our disagreements.

Thinking a lot about what I would have done differently if I decided to have a disc golf course installed today, rather than what I did in 2008.
#1 Hire a top notch course designer. Either Chuck Kennedy or John Houck.
#2 Limit the design to 18 holes.
#3 Concrete pads instead of the constant maintenance involved in cheaper options.
#4 Invest in making the course cart friendly.
#5 Stone benches at every hole.
#6 Hooters girls serving beer in golf carts

For a course designer, I would go with Harold Duvall or HB Clark if I was installing a course.

For a course designer, I would go with Harold Duvall or HB Clark if I was installing a course.
Not me. I'm sure they are good, but IMO Chuck and John are at the top of the heap... and you get the drawing power of national name recognition. If it's pay to play, their names will pay for themselves.

Last edited:
Not me. I'm sure they are good, but IMO Chuck and John are at the top of the heap... and you get the drawing power of national name recognition. If it's pay to play, their names will pay for themselves.
Of course, Harold could get you a deal on baskets. ;)

How many holes is Sugaree? Or does that kind vary from year to year or even month to month?

How many holes is Sugaree? Or does that kind vary from year to year or even month to month?
31, which i know is way too many. We always seem to be riding the rollercoaster

between closing the course, and adding more holes. Should have stopped at 18.

Of course, Harold could get you a deal on baskets. ;)
I think my idea of a deal would be very different than his...LOL...and besides,we already upgraded.

Last edited:

The courses I've played that Harold Duvall designed, had that "old school", Steady Ed feel to them, at least in my perception.

I'm sure Chuck and John could come up with similar designs if tasked, but I'd rather my course get the Duvall treatment. Just my preference.

The courses I've played that Harold Duvall designed, had that "old school", Steady Ed feel to them, at least in my perception.

I'm sure Chuck and John could come up with similar designs if tasked, but I'd rather my course get the Duvall treatment. Just my preference.
Ironically, the first rendition of Sugaree was old school, Steady Ed to a T ;18 holes 5,000 feet all par 3's, but in order to access the parking area we had to add 4 more holes. The revisions continued from there. A good designer would have figured out the importance of parking access from the get-go.

Ironically, the first rendition of Sugaree was old school, Steady Ed to a T ;18 holes 5,000 feet all par 3's, but in order to access the parking area we had to add 4 more holes. The revisions continued from there. A good designer would have figured out the importance of parking access from the get-go.

Darn, I would have enjoyed playing that. That type of course is right up my alley.

That's an interesting perception. Do you or anyone else surfing this thread think John, I or other designer with several designs you've played have a distinctive design approach such that you could guess among X, Y or Z (if it was for sure one of these three) who likely designed a course you just played?

To illustrate my point, the most played & favorited courses at the IDGC are;
1) Steady Ed
2) Jackson
3) Warner
I think most people who make the trip are aware of who designed the first two, but what about the third?

That's an interesting perception. Do you or anyone else surfing this thread think John, I or other designer with several designs you've played have a distinctive design approach such that you could guess among X, Y or Z (if it was for sure one of these three) who likely designed a course you just played?

Not sure I've played enough of your guys' to tell the difference, but I bet others could.

I can definitely pick out a local designer's "unique touch"...their designs are obvious after seeing a few.

Not sure I've played enough of your guys' to tell the difference, but I bet others could.

I can definitely pick out a local designer's "unique touch"...their designs are obvious after seeing a few.
I think the best example down here would be Stan McDaniel's artificially elevated baskets, but they seem to have to have spread like wildfire.

I've definitely noticed a few conscious design decisions consistently employed at so many of the area courses that they've pretty much defined part of the area's DG personality, quite apart from how wooded or hilly the region is.

Charlotte features many elevated pins/dicey placements.

Pittsburgh features 3 sets of tees plus rotating pin placements..

Michigan was the home of 24 hole courses (presumably so they could easily accommodate up to 72 players for tournies)
... until a lot of the parks on this side of the state added holes and split them into 2 x 18. (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Last edited:
To illustrate my point, the most played & favorited courses at the IDGC are;
1) Steady Ed
2) Jackson
3) Warner
I think most people who make the trip are aware of who designed the first two, but what about the third?

Warner kinda reminded me of home. ;)
Hard to play a course around here that hasn't been influenced by Jim Kenner in some way shape or form.

Latest posts