• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Swearing on the course

scottp

Eagle Member
I was playing at my local course yesterday and this guy screws up his drive and yells some choice words. Mean while I'm walking by a mom with three little kids on their way to a near by playground. She looks over in disgust and I do the same. The guy and his two friends just laugh and noticed the mom glare over at them. Then the same guy misses his put and again swears at the top of his lungs. I felt embarrassed for even being close to these idiots! It's not like this guy shouldn't had some idea that swearing like that on a course isn't a good idea, you'd think every one has the common decency to watch your mouth around little kids. he had a big bag with quads which worries me even more because that probably means he's been doing the same at this and other courses in the area.

Anyone with similar experiences?

People swear. Sometimes it's out of extreme emotion, and it doesn't come up often. Usually it's just a sign of a below average vocabulary, and an above average need to be heard. I'm sure the same guy is yelling "F*** yeah" on a good shots too.

I hate it when people swear around kids... I am never shy about telling people to watch their language on a DG course or where ever.

I'm in the same boat. Having a little brother and sister makes me more aware of people swearing around little kids. I usually tell people to stop but it's tough to do with some of the high school kids who think that live is a joke. Yesterday one of the guys at leagues missed a putt and yelled some profanities both vulgar and racist in front of a little girl riding her bike and her mom following behind. I told him straight up if he does it again he's not welcome to play leagues there again. I don't tolerate it.

if its a secluded course ive been known to drop the F bomb during a super bad round but where there is children its obviously not acceptable

Swearing happens, it's in a way unavoidable. If there are women around or kids then yes it will toned down greatly, but I know a ton of people that will still say "dammit" after getting wet, missing a putt, shanking or whatever. What about the people who drive in the park blasting music that has curse words in it? Almost every band today, be it rock or rap has curse words in it now. Am I saying to go out and swear a blue streak? No, I am however saying that swearing, at least in the minor degrees is alot more accepted now days.

One question as well,

What does someones bag have to do with swearing?

he had a big bag with quads which worries me even more because that probably means he's been doing the same at this and other courses in the area.

Smoke said:
One question as well,

he had a big bag with quads which worries me even more because that probably means he's been doing the same at this and other courses in the area.

Golfer Profiling.

Smoke said:
One question as well,

I meant to show that they guy should have had some idea of course etiquette.

I'm also on a bit of a rant because there's been complaints of this same thing from neighbors on other courses in the twin cities. The course in Apple Valley had a petition going against it because of the littering, swearing, damage to trees, and anything else that could have been thrown in there. Granted nothing negative came of it, but I think it goes to show that we have to be respectful of the land and other park users.

Smoke said:
Swearing happens, it's in a way unavoidable. If there are women around or kids then yes it will toned down greatly, but I know a ton of people that will still say "dammit" after getting wet, missing a putt, shanking or whatever.
[/quote]

Why is Dammit a bad word? To me that's like saying Hell is a bad word..
I choose NOT to swear in front of children or ladies as I feel that is the respectful and courteous thing to do, but I've never considered damn, dammit, or hell to be bad words.. Especially Hell as it isn't a bad word. The only reason I can think that it is bad is because of religious people and their notion that there is a heaven and a hell and a big man in the sky that watches you when you whenever you do anything and hell is the place you don't want to end up, thus it's a bad word.

If you're in a public place you have to come to grips with the fact that your kids might hear swear words. It was a good opportunity for the parent of the child to teach her kid about manners. Of course, this guy sounds like an asshole (or should I say thoughtless person). But once you start getting offended because someone yelled a curse word on the golf course you might need to start examining yourself and why you are such a tightwad. 8)

Aaron_D said:
If you're in a public place you have to come to grips with the fact that your kids might hear swear words. It was a good opportunity for the parent of the child to teach her kid about manners. Of course, this guy sounds like an asshole (or should I say thoughtless person). But once you start getting offended because someone yelled a curse word on the golf course you might need to start examining yourself and why you are such a tightwad. 8)
Spoken like someone who doesn't have kids. So, the guy yells a string of profanity in front of the kids, and you're getting on the mom's case for not teaching a lesson to her kids instead of being offended? :?:

Aaron_D said:

I don't mean to sound uptight about it, but like I said before if there's been complaints before that have made their way up the political ladder why give the opportunity for more issues?

Aaron_D said:
But once you start getting offended because someone yelled a curse word on the golf course you might need to start examining yourself and why you are such a tightwad. 8)

The problem is that most disc golf courses are on public parks. There are walking paths throughout, and often even playgrounds within earshot. If it was on land designated specifically for disc golf use, then I would understand that it's up to the parents to decide whether they want to take their kids there because they may be exposed to certain behaviors, but at a public park that is frequented by little kids it becomes the players responsibility to control themselves.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the first amendment yet.

Dig It said:

Dude, what about the third? I was playing last month at a local course, and these two guys came up, wearing quadshocks, ohyestheywere, and totally tried to quarter soldiers in my home without my consent. The nerve of these kids today, I'm tellin' ya. World's goin' to hell.

chiggins said:
Dig It said:

Dude, what about the third? I was playing last month at a local course, and these two guys came up, wearing quadshocks, ohyestheywere, and totally tried to quarter soldiers in my home without my consent. The nerve of these kids today, I'm tellin' ya. World's goin' to hell.

Quadshocks!?!? What about the children!

If you had an assignment to convince someone who had never tried DG to play a round, and you only had 1 second to do it, you would most likely fail. We all love this sport way too much to be able to explain that in 1 second, 1 minute, or even 1 hour. Now, if that same person was walking through a park/DG course with their kid and they happen to walk by your teepad right as you are screaming F**K!, then you may have just succeeded in making sure that they never play, and this can EASILY be accomplished in only 1 second.

Sadly, negative PR seems to come much more naturally for most DGers than positive PR. No matter how you live your life personally, please try and represent DG in a socially respectful way when in public. Jackasses and potheads will flock to us no matter what, but they will not take our sport to the next level. We must attract a more mainstream demographic. Shouting expletives on the course will not help with this.

discspeed said:
If you had an assignment to convince someone who had never tried DG to play a round, and you only had 1 second to do it, you would most likely fail. We all love this sport way too much to be able to explain that in 1 second, 1 minute, or even 1 hour. Now, if that same person was walking through a park/DG course with their kid and they happen to walk by your teepad right as you are screaming F**K!, then you may have just succeeded in making sure that they never play, and this can EASILY be accomplished in only 1 second.

Sadly, negative PR seems to come much more naturally for most DGers than positive PR. No matter how you live your life personally, please try and represent DG in a socially respectful way when in public. Jackasses and potheads will flock to us no matter what, but they will not take our sport to the next level. We must attract a more mainstream demographic. Shouting expletives on the course will not help with this.

Thank you - this is exactly my thoughts.

At our course, we had a off leash dog park installed recently. Though we're doing what we can to stay on good terms with them, there's still some animosity that goes both ways. One day during doubles, one of my buddies hit an ace, on a hole that's right by the dog park. Another guy starts yelling, in a congratulatory way, stuff like "oooh, you motherf***er, i wanted that f***in' money. it's f***in' on now!" etc., etc. Loudly. With the dog park being full of families and such. Our old timer course pro guy was there and told him to watch his language, to which he responded, "I'm a grown f***in' man! I'll f***in' curse when I want to!" Needless to say, he's not my on my "favorites" list.

I was in the same area yesterday, had a piss poor shot shot and was like "ahh, ffffffffff...iddlesticks!"