• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Design course, no credit

Seth D

So I just got done another town meeting and I got to say, I am a little bummed out. I designed and am going to help install a 9 hole course here in rural ontario for a local town. I went to them with a proposal of a course design and pitched the idea of putting this course in an unused part of one of their parks. We have been meeting as a committee for 18 months now. We get the baskets tomorrow and the signs in a few weeks. I asked if I could have my name on the sign just something like "Designed by Seth D". I didn't think it would be a big deal but the other members (who don't even play dg) hummed and hawed and said they would have to think about it. I have kids. I know what that means. Anyway, just blowing off some steam. Its my 2nd course. I have done them both for free. Imo you would think that that would be the least that the town could do for me. And I know someone is going to write and going to tell me that I should just be happy to have a course to play nearby. Save yourself the trouble. I want to know if it is pretty common or is it rare to credit course designers on the main sign? Thanks

Honestly I'd go out of my way to NOT have my name on a design. If the design is good, others will go out of their way to talk up the work you did. The people who don't know? Who cares. They probably wouldn't ever know or care who you are anyway.

Wasn't quite a design but we did a $3K sign project at a local course. I went out of my way to keep my name off it even though I did 90% of the work. Why? Not out of some false sense of altruism, but because I know that begging for credit would go way worse than simply letting people talk up the work I did.

You don't need your name on the signs. Your community will make sure the people who care about being involved know who did the work.

You're looking at it the wrong way. If people don't know who designed the course, they won't know who to direct their complaining to. People spend way more time complaining about things than they do praising them. Sure you missed out on 4 thank yous, but you also didn't have to hear 40 complaints.

I don't believe I've ever seen the course designer's name on a course sign, either.

You can list the course on this site, of course, and include the credit. If there's a website or Facebook page or something for the course, you might also wrangle a mention there.

Nope, I've never seen a course designer's name on the course sign.

You don't want your name on the sign. Fewer drunk calls from players yelling at you for putting that pond right where a perfectly good throw would land, costing them a priceless collector something or other.

Have you bought your insurance policy in case someone makes a - say - harsher type of complaint?

The only one I recall is the course designer names for the three courses at the IDGC are on the signs flanking the first tees. Sometimes the designer won't be called out specifically but may be listed as one of the sponsors or contributors if the course has a sign like that.

In regular golf, courses by well know designers seem to highlight that fact in their marketing. Casual golfers would likely have heard of a few of the top names. I've played 2-3 rounds in the past 2 decades and could probably name at least a handful. I'd be surprised if many courses designed by a top designer don't feature their name prominently on entrance signage.

Not at all the case in disc golf from what I've seen. I doubt most casuals even think about who designed the courses they play except where the designer is a well known local. Tourney players and especially course baggers are a different story, but they are a way too small subset of a niche sport to market to.

FWIW, I hope that changes and expect it will over time. I've played enough lousy courses to appreciate good design.

I have done about 40 courses either fully or partially and I am pretty sure that my name is on the sign at a total of 2 both of which are at Lake Marshall and I had nothing to do with my name being there to begin with. My company name is on some signs at some of them.

You're looking at it the wrong way. If people don't know who designed the course, they won't know who to direct their complaining to. People spend way more time complaining about things than they do praising them. Sure you missed out on 4 thank yous, but you also didn't have to hear 40 complaints.

I don't mind complaining. I have a wife and four kids. I am used to it lol. I do like constructive criticism though. If there was something that I could have done better then I would like to hear about it. It isn't like my number is posted or anything. It isn't like a call this number for complaints.

You don't want your name on the sign. Fewer drunk calls from players yelling at you for putting that pond right where a perfectly good throw would land, costing them a priceless collector something or other.

Have you bought your insurance policy in case someone makes a - say - harsher type of complaint?

Once again. Only name would be on sign. Think of it as artist signature. No number. It is a town park. They take responsibility and care of it. I just designed and installed. And irresponsible people will always look to blame others. I am used to that.

Once again. Only name would be on sign. Think of it as artist signature. No number. It is a town park. They take responsibility and care of it. I just designed and installed. And irresponsible people will always look to blame others. I am used to that.

I believe Steve's remark was a caution in case someone is injured, and sues you because you were the designer and they assert that something in the design resulted in the injury.

Though the name on the sign may not significantly increase the chances -- and attorney could probably find a designer if he wanted to sue, whether the name is on the sign or not.

More pragmatically, if you spar with the local government over this issue, it may not enhance your relations in the future, there or in other places.

I mean I get it, with a lot of well known designers you might see "An Eric McCabe/John Houk Design" on a course map sign or something.

And I get wanting credit since you did a lot of work and didn't charge. I would guess that most people are thankful, but may not like the idea of putting a singular name on it. Do they have sponsored tee signs? If they do, it would be good to give you one for free.

I mean I get it, with a lot of well known designers you might see "An Eric McCabe/John Houk Design" on a course map sign or something.

And I get wanting credit since you did a lot of work and didn't charge. I would guess that most people are thankful, but may not like the idea of putting a singular name on it. Do they have sponsored tee signs? If they do, it would be good to give you one for free.

Ya, all of our holes are sponsored by local businesses. Whatever. It isn't a big deal I guess. I just thought it would be nice to be able to show the kids and family mostly as they know I have been gone many nights working on this project.

FWIW, I hope that changes and expect it will over time. I've played enough lousy courses to appreciate good design.

CAUTION: Course design by Midwest Disc Golf! :p