• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Targets-in the scheme of things

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
If you are grading a course on a 100 scale, what value would you assign to the targets ?

Perhaps the best way to evaluate would be to consider what your or any other course would be rated if it had nicely painted wooden posts instead of targets.

It could be 10-20% of the score.

Probably easier to break it down to a 10 point scale. Imagine a perfect course with crappy baskets. It's a 10/10 in every other way. I would take a point or 2 off for crappy baskets, which is how I estimate 10-20%.

MTL had a good recommendation for scoring a course--breaking it down to a variety of aspects from baskets, to tee pads, to course design, etc. Each category gets its own score and then you can come up with a total score.

Perhaps the best way to evaluate would be to consider what your or any other course would be rated if it had nicely painted wooden posts instead of targets.
I already know how a course with non-approved, flimsy, homemade, hangers would be rated as a baseline, so I don't feel a need to speculate on an object course. It's the difference between practice and permanent, that I'm trying to ascertain.

It could be 10-20% of the score.

Probably easier to break it down to a 10 point scale. Imagine a perfect course with crappy baskets. It's a 10/10 in every other way. I would take a point or 2 off for crappy baskets, which is how I estimate 10-20%.

MTL had a good recommendation for scoring a course--breaking it down to a variety of aspects from baskets, to tee pads, to course design, etc. Each category gets its own score and then you can come up with a total score.
So, what's your definition of a crappy basket ?

Courses don't get bonus points for doing the basics right. They lose points for having inadequate basics.

Targets are on of those basic things I think can hold an otherwise good course back from being good, but will never turn a good course into a great course. As long as the baskets are visible, and catch halfway decent, that's really all that matters to me.

Non-basket targets like posts, and tone poles, cone targets... are fun to play on as a novelty/change of pace.

But when it comes to a courses I'm specifically travelling to play, they have to have quality baskets. I'm not going out of my way to play on fold-up practice baskets.

As long as the baskets are visible, and catch halfway decent, that's really all that matters to me.

But when it comes to a courses I'm specifically travelling to play, they have to have quality baskets. I'm not going out of my way to play on fold-up practice baskets.
That kinda hits the nail on the head !

Courses don't get bonus points for doing the basics right. They lose points for having inadequate basics.

This is basically my answer to the thread question.

My top-tier of favorite courses, which are only a half-dozen or so, included a private course that used Innova Sports. I consider that a negative but a pretty minor one, not enough to ding its rating, or knock it out of that top tier.

This is basically my answer to the thread question.

My top-tier of favorite courses, which are only a half-dozen or so, included a private course that used Innova Sports. I consider that a negative but a pretty minor one, not enough to ding its rating, or knock it out of that top tier.

My feeling as well. No baskets=not a course imo, skilshots/cloth baskets darn near the same, 99% or so of metal baskets are fine by me.

If anyone's interested, our DGCR course rating with home-made baskets from 2008 to 2015 was 4.5. When we upgraded to MVP Black Holes our rating rose to 4.85 for 2016-17.

If anyone's interested, our DGCR course rating with home-made baskets from 2008 to 2015 was 4.5. When we upgraded to MVP Black Holes our rating rose to 4.85 for 2016-17.

What kind of homemade baskets did you have? I'm generally not a fan of homemade baskets, even having made my own, but if they catch decently, that's not something that's going to lower my rating of a course.

What kind of homemade baskets did you have? I'm generally not a fan of homemade baskets, even having made my own, but if they catch decently, that's not something that's going to lower my rating of a course.
They were made out the nursery baskets used to ball and burlap trees and shrubs. Super light. They actually caught better than the Black Holes, but didn't look great.

Since I started down this road, I would be interested in DGCR member's opinion on their favorite basket, since y'all have played more courses than the average dger and have probably seen them all. Is the discatcher pro still the top dog ?

Last edited:
I think the Mach VII is giving the Discatcher a run. The one thing that's happening with some top models is the use of stainless chains which I think are marginally slipperier than galvanized chains.

I think the Mach VII is giving the Discatcher a run. The one thing that's happening with some top models is the use of stainless chains which I think are marginally slipperier than galvanized chains.
Yep. I saw ss 304 stainless being used on DD veterans. What's the diff between hot and cold dipped galvanized ?

Hot dipping provides a more uniform coverage because the zinc chemically binds with the base metal for longer life. Cold dipping is less uniform and the coating will not last as long because it's not as tightly bound. As far as catching surface for chains, I'm not sure you could tell the difference when new.

Since I started down this road, I would be interested in DGCR member's opinion on their favorite basket, since y'all have played more courses than the average dger and have probably seen them all. Is the discatcher pro still the top dog ?

I haven't played all of the latest and greatest, but discatcher pros are probably my favorite at this point.

As long as we're talking about metal baskets, in decent shape, with more than one layer of chains, I'm not deducting anything from the rating.

Isn't galvanized and stainless heavier than the zinc coated chains? I believe link weight makes a huge difference when you add them all up.

I have experimented with multiple types of chain when I was creating a batch of homemade baskets a little over a decade ago. We also observed multiple baskets from early 90's thru late 20teens. Even showed disc and basket manufacturers pros and cons of basket chain selection. Side Factors include packaging, shipping weight , availability of materials etc

Innova used to be tops but past 15 years have been a little disappointing

Isn't galvanized and stainless heavier than the zinc coated chains? I believe link weight makes a huge difference when you add them all up.

I have experimented with multiple types of chain when I was creating a batch of homemade baskets a little over a decade ago. We also observed multiple baskets from early 90's thru late 20teens. Even showed disc and basket manufacturers pros and cons of basket chain selection. Side Factors include packaging, shipping weight , availability of materials etc

Innova used to be tops but past 15 years have been a little disappointing

I think it's more about quantifying the difference than recognizing there is a difference

I'm a big fan of the Chainstar Pros, no particular reason really. I just like em'. Mach VII's are really solid too. Personally I'm not real picky. If I had a least favorite it'd be the Prodigy T models, mostly because of my soft, non centered putts :D