• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee Pads?

PA_Disc

Par Member
I am wondering what you guys take is on rubber tee pads vs. gravel. I am thinking that I would like to add new rubber tee pads to the existing tee boxes b/c the stone seems to be easily "kicked" out of the boxes creating a consistant maintanence issue. Does any one know specifically a distributor of such rubber pads? Does anyone have experience playing on them?

The distributer I've heard of is the Fly-18 people who did the pads at Pymatuning. The pads have a cushiony-springy feel that I kind of liked. I did notice that one of their pads had begun to fall apart in only its first year of use, but I hope this was just an isolated defect, since the other 26 pads they installed there looked perfect. Here's some pics of the install...

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with the rubber pads however I have heard that they have durability issues. I'm not a fan of gravel either because it's easy to slide on it, Same with wood chips. I've seen some nice looing dirt T-pads that were defined by buried 4x4's so you had a defined line to Tee from.

I personally prefer natural to wood chips and gravel. The unstable traction is disconcerting. Concrete tees keep you up out of low areas that may hold water, but my knees ache after playing a few rounds on them. The renewed rubber tees are great on the knees with nice traction. I wonder about the issue of durability with them, but it is the same material that has been used on playgrounds for sometime now. The difference is that playgrounds are larger, and the traction areas are less defined (except under swings). Have also played on natural tees with outdoor carpet laid. It was different, and cant say if it was good or bad.

Fly 18 and cement tees are by far the best. Too much loose materials makes for a sloppy throw.

i would go with making dirt tee pads then put logs on 3 out of the 4 sides. cheap and effective

I am wondering what you guys take is on rubber tee pads vs. gravel. I am thinking that I would like to add new rubber tee pads to the existing tee boxes b/c the stone seems to be easily "kicked" out of the boxes creating a consistant maintanence issue. Does any one know specifically a distributor of such rubber pads? Does anyone have experience playing on them?

I haven't played very often on the rubber ones but I really dislike the gravel pads. I think your feet stick in them more and they put a lot of pressure on your knees. They also get uneven very quickly.

I know concrete pads are expensive but have you considered them?

I haven't played very often on the rubber ones but I really dislike the gravel pads. I think your feet stick in them more and they put a lot of pressure on your knees. They also get uneven very quickly.

I know concrete pads are expensive but have you considered them?

Thats why im looking for another alternative. I thought about concrete, but due to the locations of the teed pads, installation costs would be thru the roof. Plus, I like the idea of have pervious surfaces in the park system. There is enough paving around already. Plus concrete is not to comfy to play on plus it tears up your shoes... Rubber is the way to go IMO.

What about using asphalt concrete? Its cheap and flexible. I am sure the city/town's road maintenance crew have some leftovers that can be used on the course. Usually, the leftovers were offered to the neighborhood who needs some minor fillings on their driveways for cheap prices.

The only downsides of using asphalt is that it might get hot during hot summer days (best not go barefooted) and it might crack and develop uneven surfaces over the time unless the tee pad were laid out properly to prevent that.

Just a thought...:rolleyes:

I would rather use cement concrete over asphalt since, IMO, aspahalt looks tacky. Plus like you said, over time it would fall apart. Really the locations of the tee boxes severely limit the possibilities for the materials. I guess there are only two choices Fly18 or DiscConcepts...

Try looking at a company called Enviorseal. This company developed a product for the military. Its main use is for roads in places like Iraq, but basically its like a paint that you mix with water and then mix into dirt and gravel and compact. Once dried this stuff is harder than concrete. Its now used for alot of ADA walking paths for parks. I contacted the company and they gave me a sample and some specs. Stuff is awsome. I used at a alternate pad at my local course and it is much easier then anything to install. Simply graded out a 4x8 foot pad that was 2 inches of loose dirt. Mix in the solution 50% water 50% enviorseal. Mixed it into the dirt until it was mud and then compacted it with a shovel, let dry two days and bam hard as a rock and just as tacky as concrete. Cheap product and has little labor. I probaly could have got a better level pad if I used a compacter but if your on a rough course and you have to pack in tools a shovel works fine.

Contact the company let then know your interested and get a sample of the product so you can test it somewhere. Its also a certified product by the US Green Building Council so its enviorment friendly:)

Try looking at a company called Enviorseal. This company developed a product for the military. Its main use is for roads in places like Iraq, but basically its like a paint that you mix with water and then mix into dirt and gravel and compact. Once dried this stuff is harder than concrete. Its now used for alot of ADA walking paths for parks. I contacted the company and they gave me a sample and some specs. Stuff is awsome. I used at a alternate pad at my local course and it is much easier then anything to install. Simply graded out a 4x8 foot pad that was 2 inches of loose dirt. Mix in the solution 50% water 50% enviorseal. Mixed it into the dirt until it was mud and then compacted it with a shovel, let dry two days and bam hard as a rock and just as tacky as concrete. Cheap product and has little labor. I probaly could have got a better level pad if I used a compacter but if your on a rough course and you have to pack in tools a shovel works fine.

Contact the company let then know your interested and get a sample of the product so you can test it somewhere. Its also a certified product by the US Green Building Council so its enviorment friendly:)

Ive seen that stuff before in one of my trade magazines. I was not sure how it would work on screenings tho. Maybe I need to give it a shot. Are you in the Architecture/Engineering Field by chance?

Yes I am a Architect by trade.

The product is pretty cool and can be adapted for different uses. For Insatnce maybe you want nice permanant tee pads that are like concrete. Follow the product installation guidelines and you will get just that. Or maybe its a seasonal course like at a ski resort. Ignore the specs and do your own homebrew application to get you a nice tee pad to last for the season.

Sounds like you need to install them on the Sedro Course all over Q. What do you think? Would the parks and rec let you?

Latest posts