• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee types

Back to subject of tee pads. Played a private course today and most of the pads were brick pavers set on sand. These were very nice to drive from, good footing and the course owner said they drain better than any other tee pad surface. Since this is a private course, maintenance is practically constant and excellent. I doubt this type would work in a public setting but they are great.

Yeah that's worse than nothing. What a waste of effort.

Nice course, awful tee pads:

9ae442f6.jpg

view_image.php

concrete tees make the course seem finished. plus i drive better from them. i am interested as to how one can prefer gravel to concrete??

I do enjoy cement tee pads however, especially in wet areas like up in the northwest.

The tees at my home course are concrete, but they are way too small. [...] 30x48" is worse than just using the dirt. The 8" drop of the edge is just begging to twist an ankle.
Nice course, awful tee pads:

9ae442f6.jpg

view_image.php
Maybe they could extend it or would it make it worse? What an amazing course though. Where is it in Texas EricJ?

That's Hudson Springs Park in Ohio.

BTW, here's that same hole in December:

I think that image link will work...

ERic

Okay - so concrete is the best - but what size is adaquate? I take steps, so I've always been a fan of 6' x 12'. Is 4' x 8' too small, or is it okay? What about 5' x 10'?

I saw while perusing that some of the courses in Florida are using Asphalt. It *seems* like a good idea as it is grippy and I imagine cheaper (not 100% sure) does not seem to need as much prep.

Downsides is hotter than a mug...especially in FL.

We plan on taking a trip in August and will review all the Pensacola area courses we can hit so I will let you know how those tees are.

Check out these rough teepads:

IMG_5482.jpg

2'x3' gravel pits... several of which back up to sheds or ditches - I don't even bother teeing off from them.

Bluemont and Calvert originally had asphalt pads and they were awful!
RHBH throwers created two specific depressions from always planting in the same locations. LHBH throwers needed some tricky footwork to avoid the depressions. Any moisture whatsoever made them extremely slippery. Algae grew on some of the shadier, wetter tees and players would brush the pads with bleach a day or two before tournaments to improve the traction.

Both courses now have concrete tees. Unfortunately we have not gotten around to backfilling the tees at Bluemont to make them flush with the surrounding surface.

Giles Run has the best concrete pads I've ever seen. 6' x 15' broom finish, flush to surface, 5% slope front to back or back to front, 6' level run up behind tee and 3' level on remaining sides.

Hole 8 Rec tee in foreground required 3 1/2 dump truck loads of fill to return to grade on the slope. The pro tee back to the left was about 1 1/2 loads.
giles_hole_8_teepads.jpg

Giles Run has the best concrete pads I've ever seen. 6' x 15' broom finish, flush to surface, 5% slope front to back or back to front, 6' level run up behind tee and 3' level on remaining sides.

Do you mean no more than a 5% slope, or are those intentional? I read somewhere else that said the something similar, but I can't see why you wouldn't want the tee to be completely flat.

The 5% slope is intentional so water will not stand on the pad. This slope is not noticable over the 15 foot tee length. Side to side slope should be avoided.
I think we ticked off the contracters a bit when they were framing the pro tee on hole 5 because it has a 10% slope for no apparent reason.

Man Hole 16 at Lenora has a 10 maybe 15 degree tilt UP. The hole is on a hill with some light woods and is the shortest on the course but damn if that jacked up tee doesn't just hose you almost every time.
(Shot taken from tee but the angle is the same as the hill in front of it)
70bdc915.jpg

229' par 3 but man it's the longest 229' you will never throw.

Apparently a lot of folks cheat and stand on the level walking path behind it to throw but I think the tee is part of the challenge and would be an easy hole without it.

Apparently a lot of folks cheat and stand on the level walking path behind it to throw but I think the tee is part of the challenge and would be an easy hole without it.

Yep, technically if there's a tee pad you gotta be on it. No tee pad then you get 3 meters back from the front line:

PDGA Rule 803.02 Teeing Off

A. Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all the player's supporting points must be within the teeing area. If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending back three meters from each end of the front line. The front line of the teeing area includes the outside edges of the two tee markers. Running up from behind the teeing area before the disc is released is permitted. Following through in front of the teeing area is permitted provided there is no supporting point contact outside the teeing area when the disc is released.
B. Any supporting point contact outside the teeing area at the time of release constitutes a stance violation and shall be handled in accordance with sections 803.04 F, G and H.

But some courses have tee pads that are so ridiculously small they're more of a joke than a teeing area. E.g. Hudson Springs Park.

IMG_8282.JPG

Yeah ours are maybe 5x10...not enormous but much bigger than a lot. It is just the funkiness of that one that makes people cheat....don't think I have ever seen a tee pad 3m long though.

Really, I don't see anything wrong with those tee pads, at least water isn't going to hang on them... at least there concrete.

Last edited:
When playing a casual round during the winter the concrete tee pads on a couple of the courses I play stayed snow/ice covered longer than the surrounding area. Rather than try not to slip and break my neck (or coccyx) I just threw from along side the tee.

Latest posts