• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Teebird vs Lat 64 jade

I've been playing for a few months and I have got the Teebird down. However, my friend is cranking out at least 100 more feet than me in distance with his 12-13 speed discs he's slightly bigger than me like 30 lbs and I'm 200 myself..so I got some higher speed discs but not too high so I got some 9-11 speed discs. I got a jade and a boss. So I'm starting slowly with speed increases and I'm going to start using the jade to see if I can get more distance. Any tips on if that's a good selection to go for or do y'all have any other suggestions? I'm a right handed back hander by the way.

Disc choice and your size will not get you throwing farther than 300'. Throwing properly will. ~300' is where most males will max out by throwing with their arm rather than hips/snap/properly. Check out the technique section if you want to throw farther.

IMO the jade is more like a Pro Valkyrie than a Teebird.

Teebirds will fly super far with the right technique. I totally agree with slowplastic.

Yeah but doesn't arm power have to match the speed of a disc at which you're throwing? I used the jade just now and was easily clearing 350, much farther than my Teebird which I'll probably avg between 250-300 ft when I throw it decent. Yeah I do understand better form gets you better results but I was told by other disc golfers that you have to find the right discs for your arm power.

Yeah but doesn't arm power have to match the speed of a disc at which you're throwing?

Power doesn't come from your arm. Your arm transfers the power that comes from using your body as a lever (or series of levers).

Yeah but doesn't arm power have to match the speed of a disc at which you're throwing? I used the jade just now and was easily clearing 350, much farther than my Teebird which I'll probably avg between 250-300 ft when I throw it decent. Yeah I do understand better form gets you better results but I was told by other disc golfers that you have to find the right discs for your arm power.

If you're getting more distance out of the Jade that's great. What plastic is your Teebird (if it's an overstable champ Teebird that can be eating up some of the distance)? Pro's can throw Teebirds 425' straight, so that disc is definitely not capped out for distance at 300', and lots of experienced disc golfers like them for 275-350'.

It's true you should match the disc to your arm speed for a nice S-flight, so if the Jade is giving you nice 350' flights that is great. I would just have a word of caution about the Boss...if you are needing to throw it on a steep anhyzer angle just to keep it straight then be careful about overdoing it with your arm.

The Teebird is a pretty advanced disc at or near max weight in newish premium plastic. It has little to no high speed turn and a strong, early fade for beginners. The Jade is light, flippy, and a little faster, so it is better for beginners moving higher in the speed range. It should fly further. 50-75 feet doesn't sound crazy to me either. I would recommend something a little heavier than a Jade because you might encounter some timing issues (slips and grip locks) if you bounce between 150 class and heavier discs. Consider picking up a river in the 170s if you like the feeling of that Trilogy plastic. Bump it up to a Saint if you really want to use something faster.

My Teebird is star plastic the jade is opto line. I prefer some of the heavier discs but I just read the jade was good for beginners still working on form. Never thought a disc would be gender specific...I also read the Teebird was great for beginners because it's very forgiving. I have no problems until I encounter high winds with it going where I want. I'll check the river out. Thank you.

The whole Lat 64 Easy-To-Use Line is designed for women and children. Jade, Diamond, Pearl, and Ruby.

I found a jade a while back.. Never threw it at first until I tested it in the field, that jade is in my bag and gets decent use. Short wooded holes allow me to get controlled distance.

"Women and children"? What is this, the 1950s? There are "women and children" out there who throw a disc much further than me, and I throw further than many other men I see on the course. I think a lighter, understable driver is probably a great beginning driver for anyone, be they man, woman, or child. Being somewhat flippy, it will reveal form flaws more readily. The rim on the Jade is 1.9 cm (according to the PDGA) so it's not a high speed driver that's going to cover form flaws simply because it's not thrown fast enough either.

I say if you're able to control the Jade and you're getting good distance with it, keep throwing it and see where it gets you. Remember though that accuracy and consistency are generally more important than raw distance. If you can get a disc to 350 but you never know whether it's going to land straight or 50 feet to the right of target, then you might be better off throwing something you can only throw 325 but that you know will land where you want it to.

Maybe one thing to clarify here is that when people speak about arm power, they really mean arm speed. The actual strength of your arm has very little to do with throwing far. Arm speed on the other hand is just an end result of good form.

Maybe one thing to clarify here is that when people speak about arm power, they really mean arm speed. The actual strength of your arm has very little to do with throwing far. Arm speed on the other hand is just an end result of good form.

Yep, exactly! Most of the actual explosive speed is coming from your legs in a good throw.