• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird vs. Thunderbird (champion)

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Does anyone bag both of these molds? I set my champion Teebird aside today and replaced it in the bag with a champion Thunderbird. I played 2 rounds and used the Thunderbird on all the shots I generally use the Teebird on.

I guess my point is, I didn't really notice enough difference in the two discs to feel the need to bag both molds. The Thunderbird seemed slightly longer, glidier, and less likely to flip over.

Honestly, if I had to pick one or the other I'd take the Thunderbird.

The Thunderbird flat out performs. IMO its Innova's best speed 9 offering. I think for the time being I'm going to try both the Teebird and Thunderbird in the bag. I'll see if one or the other really starts pulling away and becoming my favorite. After two rounds today though I really didn't see the Thunderbird doing anything the Teebird couldn't.

I don't throw either! I throw Eagles!:p

Tried though.
Thunderbirds are too shallow for me, while I like the flight, I just couldn't gain any consistency. They are longer than Teebirds though, but for the average player, not by much and I think Teebirds are more controllable.

I bag both. Champ Thunderbirds are something special, really the best combination of a mold and plastic. What you said is correct, they are about as true to the numbers as you can find. They do develop a touch of turn when thrown out to 400'+ in my experience.

With that being said, Teebirds and Thunderbirds compliment each other nicely. While Thunderbirds can do mostly the same shots as Teebirds, especially when wind is playing a factor. One area where a Teebird excels is flip-forehands and if champ plastic is your thing, Champ Teebirds are more stable than champ Thunderbirds when new. Flex shots also seem to be easier to throw with champ Teebirds as champ Thunderbirds hold the line better and come out softer. Especially in the 300'-350' range.

In the end it comes down to what you do with the two molds. I use champ Teebirds if I need an angle to hit and champ Thunderbirds if I need controlled distance. With that being said, my bag is set up with three star Teebirds and two Thunderbirds, one champ and one star. At least, that's how it's set up for now.

I currently have a beat to straight Teebird, stable-OS champ Teebird, and a typical champ Thunderbird that is the -0/2 type of flight. I had the beefy Teebird out of the bag for months, but added it back in and it has taken certain shots back for me.

The Thunderbird can do what the champ Teebird does if it is thrown low to the ground, and it will get more distance that way. I can throw my beat Teebird as far and farther in the open, but it is much straighter and won't take wind whereas the Thunderbird will hold a hyzer, ignore most wind, and also get some extra distance on shallow flex lines. It is very different from a mild Teebird.

The Thunderbird separates itself from a stable Teebird when in the open and/or thrown higher...the fade is more sweeping and it will get much farther left on a hyzer whereas the Teebird pushes more straight and just drops left near the very end of the flight. Since I throw both BH and FH the Thunderbird is very useful for long sweeping hyzers, whereas the champ Teebird is more of a power straight shot that won't drift. If I played just open courses then I would not need both and would just pair the Thunderbird with a beat Teebird.

I also prefer the Teebird for hard FH shots that need to go straight and not really end much, whereas the Thunderbird will drift right at the end like a Teebird would on a BH shot...they are different enough FH for me, and this is where I find the Teebird has a pinpoint advantage over the Thunderbird. As much more accurate that I can throw a Thunderbird on a 330' laser FH than a Destroyer, a Teebird is that much more accurate again for me on 320'ish and in FH shots that don't need much finish.

Basically if I want the shot to be straight and not drift or fade much then Teebird, if I want to hold a placement hyzer or get a nice shallow flex for extra distance then Thunderbird.

I don't bag champ, star. But the thunderbird is slightly more OS. I can get my teebird further because I throw speed 9 drivers so a stable speed 7 is gonna go further than an OS speed 9. Both discs are great and are 2/3 go to drivers along with a Valkyrie.

I bag both. Champ Thunderbirds are something special, really the best combination of a mold and plastic. What you said is correct, they are about as true to the numbers as you can find. They do develop a touch of turn when thrown out to 400'+ in my experience.

With that being said, Teebirds and Thunderbirds compliment each other nicely. While Thunderbirds can do mostly the same shots as Teebirds, especially when wind is playing a factor. One area where a Teebird excels is flip-forehands and if champ plastic is your thing, Champ Teebirds are more stable than champ Thunderbirds when new. Flex shots also seem to be easier to throw with champ Teebirds as champ Thunderbirds hold the line better and come out softer. Especially in the 300'-350' range.

In the end it comes down to what you do with the two molds. I use champ Teebirds if I need an angle to hit and champ Thunderbirds if I need controlled distance. With that being said, my bag is set up with three star Teebirds and two Thunderbirds, one champ and one star. At least, that's how it's set up for now.

I generally use the Thunderbird and Teebird (champion, I don't bother with cheaper plastic) for backhand drives anywhere from 350' to 400'. I use them on holes where accuracy is important. I'm also not afraid to use them in the wind. I did find that the Thunderbird seems to handle wind a tad better than the Teebird.

The Thunderbird wasn't really flexing today. I was leaning on it pretty hard and it was going a straight 380' without much side to side movement. My Teebird will flex and sometimes turn over if I mash it too hard or into headwinds. The Thunderbird goes far for a straight driver. Gradual fade too, not a real sharp, abrupt one.

I dig the Thunderbird a lot. I like that I can crank on it hard without worrying about it flipping or drifting right. It'll get about 3/4 of the distance I get with a Boss, but in a more controlled manner. Going forward I'm going to have both molds in the bag. They will be my only 2 fairway driver molds. I figure I can pull off anything from 350'-400' with them. I'd rather throw a Teebird fairly hard 360' than try to back way off a Boss or Nuke and get the same distance.

The Thunderbird separates itself from a stable Teebird when in the open and/or thrown higher...the fade is more sweeping and it will get much farther left on a hyzer whereas the Teebird pushes more straight and just drops left near the very end of the flight.

Basically if I want the shot to be straight and not drift or fade much then Teebird, if I want to hold a placement hyzer or get a nice shallow flex for extra distance then Thunderbird.

This more or less sums it up for me. I played in a tournament last weekend and had Champ Teebirds and Champ Thunderbirds in the bag. The few times I had played the course (out of town) I had used Teebirds since there are some tight lines that just need straight lasers. But there was a different layout than I had played, plus the wind was up to 19 mph, so the Thunderbird did a lot of work. The best way I can think to describe it is the Thunderbird could be a Teebird for the first 75% of the flight, but with the right height it could turn into almost a Firebird for the last 25% of the flight. Or it could be thrown lower and just act like a Teebird. Or it could be thrown in between. It's like multiple discs rolled into one.

I generally use the Thunderbird and Teebird (champion, I don't bother with cheaper plastic) for backhand drives anywhere from 350' to 400'. I use them on holes where accuracy is important. I'm also not afraid to use them in the wind. I did find that the Thunderbird seems to handle wind a tad better than the Teebird.

The Thunderbird wasn't really flexing today. I was leaning on it pretty hard and it was going a straight 380' without much side to side movement. My Teebird will flex and sometimes turn over if I mash it too hard or into headwinds. The Thunderbird goes far for a straight driver. Gradual fade too, not a real sharp, abrupt one.

I dig the Thunderbird a lot. I like that I can crank on it hard without worrying about it flipping or drifting right. It'll get about 3/4 of the distance I get with a Boss, but in a more controlled manner. Going forward I'm going to have both molds in the bag. They will be my only 2 fairway driver molds. I figure I can pull off anything from 350'-400' with them. I'd rather throw a Teebird fairly hard 360' than try to back way off a Boss or Nuke and get the same distance.

Concurring, if its over 350' I'm likely reaching for a Thunderbird. I'm not out there trying to hurt myself so I don't aim to drive further than 400' and if necessary for more I'm reaching for a Beast or a Surge. I predict in the next five years or so my bag will cap off at Thunderbirds or some other speed 9 disc. Really, between a Teebird and a Thunderbird, you have every shot covered inside 400' that requires a driver. Same for forehand, give me a Star Thunderbird and I'm flexing that to 350'+ until my arm falls off.

Yeah, I really like what the Thunderbird can do for distance. Anything longer than that I generally step up to a Boss, Shryke, Nuke, or Torrent. I keep a star Destroyer around for when a Thunderbird just won't quite reach something. I'll even go as far as to say that the Thunderbird has obsoleted the Orc and Starfire. I can hit the same exact lines with the Thunderbird that I can with either of those discs.

I'm a fan of wide rimmed fast drivers. I like what they can do when you start creeping north of 400'. That said, the Thunderbird would play a more important role in my bag and I'd reach for it more often than any speed 14 driver. Most holes at the courses I play at are more Thunderbird range anyway. Seldom do I find a true 450'+ hole that requires a massive rip with a Boss or something.

I'm going to give this Thunderbird vs. Teebird experiment a few rounds and see if I really notice anything that really differentiates them. Both discs are champion and max weight.

I bad both, but I bag a star teebird and a pro thunderbird. I find the thunderbird goes significantly further than my teebird. They get similar flight paths, but my thunderbird goes about 30-40ft further. With that much difference, I don't feel there is overlap.

I bag Star Teebird and Star Thunderbird. I don't perfer the champ plastic at all, I feel the Star plastic gives me greater control and champ I have a hard time throwing far. My Thunderbird goes farther but the Teebird I feel gives me better accuracy.

Teebird a little shorter...straighter forehand for shorter holes...use them for straight shots to finish left...really like Thunderbird for downwind lsurprisingly..use max wgt champs for both..teebird I flex into wind for controlled shorter 300 ish ..

Latest posts