• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TeeBoxx: Good? Bad? Or?????

From what I understand, Teeboxx has had problems getting into some parks because it's a commercial enterprise and Park Dept or community rules do not allow commercial activity in their parks. Having a local vendor supplying the discs would in essence be giving an advantage to them at a publicly funded park versus other stores selling discs in the market area.

Normally the local club will stock it.... but there is an option to actually pay for TeeBoxx to stock it.

Had I a retail store selling disc golf gear, I'd be quick to invest in a Teebox or two to put right outside the store. It's a way to sell discs when the store is closed. Stock a row with a beginner's set--putter, mid-range, fairway driver--clearly marked. Rows of the local staples and rows of the new hotness.

Were I involved with Teebox, I'd look at marketing to retail stores for that. And convenience stores adjacent to courses.

Just like a gas station or Wal-Mart selling discs, no one's putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to use these machines. Can't see any bad coming from them.

My worry is in due time, we're going to see one get smash and grabbed.

Like many of you I have a ton (about 300 right now) of new discs. The last thing on my mind is to buy a disc out of a machine. Even if I knew the weight I like to FEEEEEEL my discs before buying. Sorry Teeboxx you will never get a dime from me.

That is one downside. On the other hand the teeboxx comes in handy if you are in a bind and need a go to right then. As for a smash and grab, these things are built very robust and they contain a ton of tamperproof tech.

Great conversation going here! So to start yes we are working on a new gen 2 machine that allows users to shuffle through all inventory and we will have weight differences along with color. We are also working on alternative power sources so that our machines require no plugs and its all looking very good. We would have a lot more in the ground right now and we do have contracts in ink with cites across the US, however we've decided to focus on our new machine tech rather then spend resources on installs. We've been hard at work networking with manufacturers and partners all over gearing up for this coming season.

For those that feel they are picky buyers, which I am and have been for many years (6 years on team discraft), worked USDGC for 2 years, etc., etc. - my response is that we do not target you. However, if you know your stuff, then you know when you see a disc you love, and one day, that disc will be in our machine. Manufacturers love us because we have a tangible solution to actually creating new golfers period. So they support us in a variety of ways including great plastic! Again, in our current proto machines all weights are max unless otherwise posted.

Someone suggested that we partner with other retailers, well thats exactly what we intend to do on our gen 2 rollout. We will be announcing soon that our machines are available for sale for the first time since we started. Our protos were expensive and we didn't feel comfortable passing on that expense to our friends and disc golf family, nor would they want to pay it probably ha ha. Now that we are going into mass production all of that changes, so stay tuned guys. Thanks for all the support!

PS Burns Park is doing great!! And no, commercialization in parks does not apply when you are an amenity to the public in nearly every case FYI.

Best,

Last edited:
Had I a retail store selling disc golf gear, I'd be quick to invest in a Teebox or two to put right outside the store. It's a way to sell discs when the store is closed. Stock a row with a beginner's set--putter, mid-range, fairway driver--clearly marked. Rows of the local staples and rows of the new hotness.

Were I involved with Teebox, I'd look at marketing to retail stores for that. And convenience stores adjacent to courses.

Let us know we'd be happy to send you updated info...

There is a teeboxx by me in a very busy course. With a well known pro shop 1 mile away it still manages to sell out every 2 weeks. Here is why the teeboxx has better prices and better disc. I will start taking pictures of some of the disc that are always up front in this modern marvel. Prices are good with mvp topping the price list at 19 dollars. Eventhough i contacted teeboxx with no reply, i still think they are a good company.

I apologize if your attempt to contact us slipped through the cracks, please send me an email directly at [email protected] and I will make sure to answer any requests or concerns... Thanks for the support!

Just like a gas station or Wal-Mart selling discs, no one's putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to use these machines. Can't see any bad coming from them.

My worry is in due time, we're going to see one get smash and grabbed.

There have already been MANY attempts trust ha ha... There have been trucks trying to run them over, trash can, crow bars, you name it. Our machines are connected to the internet and registered with local authorities, on top of the steel layers of reinforcement and concrete. We are not worried :cool:

Last edited:
How would you make TeeBoxx more desirable to the player who wants a specific model, specific plastic, specific weight and/or specific color?

Well, we've tossed around a lot of ideas and we do have an amazing advisory board full of experience and expertise. Even when we can add weight variety for example there is no real solution for feeling the disc without compromising security. The best answer (which doesn't solve that problem without a manned store on-location) is that in the future we can fulfill special requests at the machine, and more seamlessly connect our online store to our machines allowing on-location ordering and/or pickup, among a few other ideas similar to this.

We will be announcing soon that our machines are available for sale for the first time since we started.
As a veteran of the retail sporting goods industry THAT gets my attention. btw Not wanting to diss the effort and selection of discs but I just don't see myself needing as disc so bad that I would buy it out of a machine. But a fool and his money are soon parted so you still have a chance :thmbup: As for the target market and the future, you giys nailed it and I can see a lot of those machines coming someday.

If I ever make it to a course where they have a TeeBoxx, I may buy a disc for the novelty factor. But I'm at a place in my golf life where I by any means need more plastic. ;)

How would you make TeeBoxx more desirable to the player who wants a specific model, specific plastic, specific weight and/or specific color?

I really don't think that is TeeBoxx's intended customer.

The boxx is a convenience to the course for a first timer grabbing a disc to play the game or if you need an emergency DX Rock or "staple" of widely used disc for the round.

The DiscGolf nerd can buy his discs on line where the bigger/broader selection of discs live.

People can not expect a vending machine to house a wherehouse of plastic to suit every one at all times...???

Well, we've tossed around a lot of ideas and we do have an amazing advisory board full of experience and expertise. Even when we can add weight variety for example there is no real solution for feeling the disc without compromising security. The best answer (which doesn't solve that problem without a manned store on-location) is that in the future we can fulfill special requests at the machine, and more seamlessly connect our online store to our machines allowing on-location ordering and/or pickup, among a few other ideas similar to this.

Have you guys discussed 3D printing? Obviously this is not an immediate solution as the fixed costs associated with the technology are currently far too high to realize a profit at the price point and scale of this venture. That said, 3D printing is unquestionably the future of disc manufacturing and it seems a company such as this one would be ideally positioned to open discussions aimed at establishing an industry standard for licensing product specs for 3D printing. UPS is planning an aggressive nationwide rollout of 3D printing services, which will allow products to be ordered, printed, and then picked up or delivered in the same day. Disc golf discs are highly suitable for the 3D printing process, and thus the market is highly vulnerable to disruption. The current model of a central factory mass producing discs will not be competitive within five years.

As you previously alluded, your company's value to disc producers is the ability to broaden the retail space. In the very near term the retail and manufacturing of discs will occur simultaneously. Eventually, the price of the technology will decline such that it would be feasible to install a printing kiosk similar to your current machines that would allow the customer to select from a catalog of discs and specify weight and color. In the meantime, you should be able to leverage your contacts and industry experience into revenue for forward thinking, and this could be done parallel to your current plans without incurring additional cost.