• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terminology?

attik34

Birdie Member
So, as I try to educate myself via these forums, its becoming clear that I don't know disc golf words. Is there a good place to go to learn some of the terms and stuff that frequent technique/disc choice/disc golf discussions?

Hang around here for a while - you'll soon figure out who knows his stuff and who's good at slinging bull.

Ok so...im going to look at everything from a RHBH point of view, and assume its just opposite direction for RHFH if i so choose....

Overstable-tendancy to turn left
Understable-tendancy to turn right
stable-tendancy to go straight

hyzer- wing down
anhyzer- wing up

so question...I see alot as far as mentioning "flippy" discs or worn discs...how does this all work? Do discs become more over/understable as they wear? flippy just means they are more likely to do w/e turn they do...correct?

Discs become more understable from wear and tear of slamming trees, etc. So a "overstable" disc can eventually become understable or "flippy".

Some people use stable to describe a disc as overstable. Example...."the firebird is more stable than the roadrunner"...they don't mean it is straighter, they mean it is more overstable so you have to really watch how the word stable is used.

In my experience, "flippy" is used to describe a disc that has become almost uncontrollably understable through wear, mold design, or both.

Describing a single disc as "stable" is more or less as you say, in that it describes a disc that flies straight, but the terms stable-overstable-understable only describe a disc's flight during its high speed portion of flight.

As olemiss5931 said too, people will use the word "stable" as a comparison that actually describes more overstable flight characteristics.

Some terms you might not know:

PLH: "Parting Line Height." Describes the height of the point at which the disc extends at its furthest point on the wing when looking at it edge-on. A picture:

IMG_1061.jpg

The disc on the left is a DGA Tsunami, and the disc on the right is a Discraft Predator. See how the Tsunami's spot where it's the furthest right is above the Predator's corresponding point? The Tsunami is said to have a higher PLH than the Predator.

It is generally accepted that higher PLH translates to more overstability. Sometimes PLH can vary even within the same mold, so you can have two of the same disc, but they fly very differently.

Certain molds are known to be subject to these variations, like Latitude 64 Strikers.

(If anyone has a high PLH striker, PM me, please!)

The Basics

Turn - A discs tendency to turn right during the high speed portion of it's flight.

HSS (High Speed Stability) - A discs ability to resist turn.

Understalbe - A.K.A. Flippy - A disc that has very little or no HSS.

Turnover shot - When a disc is intentionally overpowered so that it will turn right.

Anhyzer - When a disc is intentionally released on an angle so that it will curve right.

Fade - A discs tendency to curve left as it slows down.

LSS (Low Speed Stability) - The amount of fade a disc has at low speed.

Overstable - A.K.A. Meathook - A disc with alot of LSS.

Hyzer - When a disc is intentionally released on an angle so that it will curve left.

Hook Up - The point when a disc that is overpowered and turning right stops turning and starts fading.

Flex - The point when a disc that is on an anhyzer angle stops curving right and starts fading.

Flex Shot - A.K.A. Distance anhyzer - When an overstable disc is thrown anhyzer.

Hyzer Flip - When an understable disc is thrown hyzer.

Spike Hyzer - When an overstable disc is thrown with hyzer on a high line. Instead of curving left the disc will spike downward.

Stall Hyzer - When an disc is thrown flat and slightly high and allowed to curve left by naturally fading rather than using a hyzer angle.

Last edited:

Latest posts