• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

MJ! Thanks for showing what can be done with a comet. Had my best tournament finish last weekend using a comet and a flippy soft magnet for 90% of my shots.

Any insight on if there's a way to get comets in tackier plastic? My hands are super dry and finicky, craving something like the feel of FLX now that the temp has dropped.

I found an MJ/meatball comet in a gorgeous pink/orange color that I just couldn't live without. Doesn't look like the 19s I've seen online. Is it older?

Last edited:
do you throw the Sting ever or at all? I think I mixed up the Sol and Sting on another post.

I actually use the sting quite a lot. Throw them like I would use a super flippy comet shot, but goes a farther and gets there a bit quicker. Plus it's become my trick shot and roller disc for getting out of sketchy spots on the course

MJ! Thanks for showing what can be done with a comet. Had my best tournament finish last weekend using a comet and a flippy soft magnet for 90% of my shots.

Any insight on if there's a way to get comets in tackier plastic? My hands are super dry and finicky, craving something like the feel of FLX now that the temp has dropped.

The regular esp plastic is generally grippier than the rest of the normal production runs of comets. Not sure that they have made flx comets much

I actually use the sting quite a lot. Throw them like I would use a super flippy comet shot, but goes a farther and gets there a bit quicker. Plus it's become my trick shot and roller disc for getting out of sketchy spots on the course

That is helpful, I use an Archer for rollers and right shots since I do not have a forehand and am right handed. I find a disc that is understable great for both rollers and the dreaded right shots. I have another disc for right shots but it is not a Discraft disc. The Most used disc in my bag is the Impact due to how the mold hits that distance gap for me that midrange and fairway driver as well as the longer tight straight gap shot in the woods.

Yeah, the old stamp and your signature. It claims to be glow ESP but I certainly wouldn't throw it in a glow round. Gorgeous disc, can't wait to throw it.

Only a 100 of those with that stamp. Nice and stable for a comet too

Hey MJ,

What is the most stable run of comets that's stock or decently easy to acquire? I have ones from straight to heavy turn (currently bag 3) but would love to have one that will hook up slightly as long as I don't overwork it.

Hey MJ,

What is the most stable run of comets that's stock or decently easy to acquire? I have ones from straight to heavy turn (currently bag 3) but would love to have one that will hook up slightly as long as I don't overwork it.

Not MJ, but...

I've always found max weight, domey Z's to be pretty reliably OS for a Comet.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. I have a new Z but remember it being dead straight. I'll have to pull it out and give it another go.

The Bobcat has been flying really well for me, but it fades a lot more than any comet, obviously. The dead straight ESP swirl glo I have works well enough, just wasn't sure if there was anything stock that was slightly more likely to hook up at the end. After 10 years of throwing them, I'm just so comfortable with comets that I like to use them on just about every shot that I can. :clap:

I found a really domey glo Z comet that's the most stable I've ever thrown. Funny thing is it's only 170-172g.

I've thrown the last 2 years worth of MJ ESP signature comets to compare, while those are nice and stable out of the box. The glo Z still wins for stability.

You guys are too funny. If I could throw my comets like MJ, with the courses I usually play, I'd literally just carry 2 comets and a putter in my hand. Guy is good! :thmbup:

That said, nothing wrong with adding a new disc or version of a disc to the bag. After all, a lot of us are as good as we're going to get, or close to it anyhow.

You guys are too funny. If I could throw my comets like MJ, with the courses I usually play, I'd literally just carry 2 comets and a putter in my hand. Guy is good! :thmbup:

That said, nothing wrong with adding a new disc or version of a disc to the bag. After all, a lot of us are as good as we're going to get, or close to it anyhow.

Yeeep. I figure either I could practice form for hours on end and maybe, maybe I could slay my local with a comet and a wizard...or I can throw a couple drivers in my bag and get a slightly better score with my current level of suck because of the extra 20-50 feet they get me.

Back on topic, I've found the recent max weight ESPs are pretty throwable even for someone who sort of sucks (me) as long as you're not throwing into a headwind. I don't have a huge sampling to pull from but they seem like they're probably "stable" comets.

Latest posts