• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Only a 100 of those with that stamp. Nice and stable for a comet too
I just one one of these in an auction for a steal. I am so stoked for it. I had one a while back and loved it... But I love almost all comets

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

If you don't find a comet stable enough, you could try a Göte, a large diameter glidy mid but more stable than a comet.
I am absolutely a kasta lover. I was all kasta + comet for a while before the Gote. I was trending back toward mixed bag when the gote was released. I was very excited.
Odd thing was the gote was more HSS on a smooth slow throw. And threw big anny lines well. But it doesnt handle power nearly as well as a comet. Its odd how much touchier it was at higher speed. It didnt give me much more than my wizards do or rekos did. Reminds me a bit of a domey Ontario shark.

I am absolutely a kasta lover. I was all kasta + comet for a while before the Gote. I was trending back toward mixed bag when the gote was released. I was very excited.
Odd thing was the gote was more HSS on a smooth slow throw. And threw big anny lines well. But it doesnt handle power nearly as well as a comet. Its odd how much touchier it was at higher speed. It didnt give me much more than my wizards do or rekos did. Reminds me a bit of a domey Ontario shark.

I have found the Domed Shark in Star, the last of the Pre-Flight numbered discs to be the best thought I do like the mold 5 grams light of max weight the way I like most discs outside of putting putters with Exceptions in my bag... These discs are, Impact at 170-172 grams and 173-174 grams, the Stalker 170-172 grams, and the Champion Destroyer at 165-167 grams thought I have a 170 gram Champion for very high wind days I should not really be playing.

MJ what mids are you bagging to compliment the Comets? I've tried the Buzzz, Wasp, Malta and now onto the Drone which seems to be my favorite.

MJ what mids are you bagging to compliment the Comets? I've tried the Buzzz, Wasp, Malta and now onto the Drone which seems to be my favorite.
I am not MJ but I also had trouble pairing my comets for years. The Buzzz is too close unless it's fresh ti or something. My prefered compliment is not discraft. The hornet was my favorite dc compliment.

I believe that MJ bags an ESP Banger for shorter throws and uses a fairway driver (Mantis?) for longer throws. MJ can correct me, but I can't think of any time that I've heard that he threw a different mid-range (Buzzz, Wasp, Drone, etc.).

I believe that MJ bags an ESP Banger for shorter throws and uses a fairway driver (Mantis?) for longer throws. MJ can correct me, but I can't think of any time that I've heard that he threw a different mid-range (Buzzz, Wasp, Drone, etc.).

I remember him saying on windy days he would put in a buzzz, and I think for a time the hornet would come in and out. I'm guessing the Malta is going to take the place of the hornets when he carries that spot. Again MJ will be the one to actually clarify.

When I threw a mixed bag I would pair a stable kc roc and that was a near perfect compliment. Now that I'm all Discraft it's been a little trickier. The Wasp seems to be the closest to the rock but that kc roc had a very similar feel as well. The drone I'm using doesn't feel anything like the comet, is faster and very overstable but I'm really liking it.

The Wasp seems to be the closest to the rock but that kc roc had a very similar feel as well.

Try a DGA Aftershock. Flight closer to a Roc but feels different because it's beadless. They are straighter than the Wasp but not so much that they are a buzzz clone

Aftershock is an oddball. I liked it but when I tried it; it was less high speed stable than a Buzzz but more fade. Not what I was looking for at the time.

Aftershock is an oddball. I liked it but when I tried it; it was less high speed stable than a Buzzz but more fade. Not what I was looking for at the time.

I find them to have HSS/LSS between a buzzz and wasp. Kind of like a lightly worn DX Roc. They are in and out of the bag though, which probably says more about me than the actual disc. discisfinecomrade.jpg

Thats what I wanted out of them. This was very early run sparkles I was throwing. I wanted a Buzzz with more fade to compliment my comets

MJ, whenever you have time , is it possible for you to do an In-the-bag for the 2020 season?

Yea, I think they are finally going to make me do one

I'll believe it when I see it! I can imagine it's a daunting task, as there are probably always discs entering and leaving the bag, alongside the tried and true discs that are always there. Maybe just pick a good tournament and focus on what you're throwing just for that weekend?

I remember stalking your bag during the 2017 PFDO. You were on lead card (Jomez, I think) for all 3 rounds, so we got to see your bag pretty well as you faced Moraine. Three different Comets, the famed purple Banger, Mantis, and Undertaker were some that I remember off the top of my head.

Most importantly, happy new year MJ! Keep up the awesomeness.

MJ, what are you throwing when the wind is up when you'd normally throw your comets? I find I have a hard time controlling them in the wind.