• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The course that grew on me

for me, it is steeplechase. i hated how the course followed the creek when i first played there; i was a noob and couldn't appreciate the challenge. now i love playing that course. i just wish the poison ivy weren't so bad.

greenbelt in DFW is another one. i can't say that i love it but i do like it much better now than the first time i played it.

Art Dye in American Fork, Utah. This course was so challenging for me at first. I never wanted to play it. But last year I moved five minutes away from the course, and now I absolutely love it. It is still challenging to me, but it makes me play different shots, and it makes me improve my game without adding to my bag (maybe that's why I still can't finish under par...) And NothinButChing, what made you love Taylorsville? Maybe I haven't played it enough, but it's still not on my top courses list.

Last edited:
There is an unlisted private in the NC mountains called Blackjack.
When it first opened in 2008, it was like playing DG on the Appalachian Trail without cutting any trees. Up and down thru the woods with multiple narrow routes. It is still very strenous, but enough of the understory has been taken out to make it much fairer.
I used to have a love/hate relationship with it, but now it's in in my top three ! I agree with Chuck in that most courses lose their luster the more you play them, but not this one. Getting better with age.

Sounds like I need to make time for a roadtrip back to Sugaree. Maybe I could accidentally stumble upon this mysterious Blackjack. Coming from Mando it must be good.

Probably the course that has grown on me the most is Valley Springs in Durham, NC. When played from the long tees it can be brutal and unforgiving. It is much less challenging from the shorts. The first few times I played there I vowed never to go back. Now I go bakc to work on certain shots and play 2 rounds. One round from the shorts and one from the longs is a pretty good day. I get to use a ton of different shots and I nver leave feeling like I am all that.

Theres a 9 hole course near me. When I first played it I thought it was pretty lame. But my score kept going down and down, now I usually end up like -4 to -6 on it. Not a bad score for 9 holes. Its almost like a mental game for me now (how far below par can I get), Im trying for -9 because I have deuced every hole there many times over. As lame as it is I love that little DG park.

Spring Park - 9 holes

Theres a 9 hole course near me. When I first played it I thought it was pretty lame. But my score kept going down and down, now I usually end up like -4 to -6 on it. Not a bad score for 9 holes. Its almost like a mental game for me now (how far below par can I get), Im trying for -9 because I have deuced every hole there many times over. As lame as it is I love that little DG park.

Spring Park - 9 holes

I know the feeling. I played a ton of rounds in on a 9 hole course in Phoenix that at first I thought was lame as well. The more I played, the more I figured that course out. Just took a mid and a putter and had at it. Easy, yet very fun. My best was -6 on it. Dual pins on each hole that get moved around a bunch and after nearly 80 rounds there, I still want to play it more.

In the side categories of "The Course that Regrew on Me" and "The Course that Failed to Grow on Me"---my local courses.

I started playing at Earlewood, back when courses were few and far between, and for a year or so it was the only course I ever played. When I finally traveled 70+ miles and played other courses, I saw features I'd never encountered at Earlewood, and for a while considered Earlewood kind of lame. No long holes. No fairways defined by thick woods. No lake. No exclusive disc golf use. Then, over time as I played more courses, I realized Earlewood was darn good, in it's own way.

Finally, we built a second course in Columbia, Owens Field. I was excited with the layout. I was excited when I started to play it---very different from Earlewood, much more challenging. As I played it repeatedly I found I didn't really enjoy large parts of it, but figured I would learn to like it, and it would get beat in and be more fun. Finally, 3 1/2 years ago, I played it once last time and realized it will never grow on me, so I left it to those who's taste it suits.